Amasa Back vs. Sovereign Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Amasa Back vs. Sovereign Trail

I'm planning a trip out to Moab in mid-October. I'm trying to get a schedule laid out for while we're out there. I will be apart of a bigger group of about twelve guys, of which about four are first time Moab visitors. I myself have been there about six or so times.
    Anyway, I'm wondering if we should skip Amasa Back, and instead try the new Sovereign Trail? I love Amasa Back, but the idea of trying something new is very appealing. Not too mention that there are reports of Amasa Back being ripped up. I just don't want to "waste" a day riding this new one, only to regret it, and end up wishing I would have brought them to Amasa Back instead.
    Oh, and no, we can't just do both time is limited. We will also be riding Porcupine, Bartlett Wash, Gemini bridges, Slick Rock (as a night ride) and one of these other two trails. Any input would be great.

Thanks
    Eric from Minneapolis

Mar 2005
    I road sovereign trail last year for the first time and I love it, lots of single track compared to most of the rides in Moab. I think it is a must do if you are heading to the area, especially after the reports I have heard about Amasa Back. It has a little bit of everything, slick rock, sand, climbing, technical rock decents etc.

Check it out I bet you'll like it.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bartletts is cool but it is not really a ride, more of a playground. Go there at the end of the day and just goof off. Slickrock, in comparison, is actually a ride.

Gemeni Bridges is lame. Asside from the actual Gemeni Bridges the rest of the trail is just a bunch of dirt road. Hit the little Moab rim instead - same trail head coming from the top - just take the left fork at the little sign.

Sovereign is a nice ride but it is short and one could easily do Amasa Back or Bartletts afterwards. I hear that the Amasa Back ride was not changed all that much and the view from the top will still be killer.

Who's that guy?
    I gotta agree with XTRKona...Gemini Bridges is really not all that fun of a ride. I would dump that one and do Amasa Back and Sovereign...or Portal

True, the bridges themselves are pretty neat, but so is the view from the top of Amasa Back.
    If you guys have access to a four wheel drive, take that up to the bridges instead.

...My 2 cents

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

mtbr member
    Go with the sovreign system. Rides are much better. Amasa Back is rumored to have been "improved" or graded for a pipeline.

http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/other/sovereign.html

mtbr member

Sovereign Trail

I just got back from Moab and rode both The Sovereign and Amasa Back Trail. I was a little disapointed with the Sovereign trail. Not to say it isn't a good trail but if you are looking for any type of a downhill ride I would stick to the Amasa Back. If you enjoy XC type rides, its a sweet trail though...also if you end up riding the Sovereign trail start at the pumphouse (Willow Springs Road) and ride the trail as a out and back. Some trail guides suggest riding it as a huge loop using the highway as the connecting loop.

Also as a sidenote, I rode the Amasa back after the "Jeep Safari Weekend". The jeeps did a great job tearing the crap out of the trail. I'm sure its going to take awhile to get it back to its original state, but its still a super fun trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well we got back from Moab/Fruita last week, and we opted to do Sovereign instead of Amasa Back. It was a sweet trail, unfortunatly we we had an old map that listed the trail as an out and back. Since the time of our old map, they have started to make this trail into a loop, which is very cool. But we missed the turn off to the other parking lot, where we were planning on turning around and heading back. So instead of it being a "easy" out and back we had a bit longer of a ride.
    But none the less it was a cool trail, and now that we bought the updated trail map, I'd do it again. However, this was my last time riding in Moab. I've been there at least seven times now, and there are other places to ride. We spent a few days in Fruita on this trip, and we all enjoyed the trails there a lot more. So the next time I have some extra time off, I'll be staying and playing Fruita instead, better singletrack, and better beer too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just got back Saturday from being there last week too. I'd say do Sovereign from Willow Springs as an out and back as well. Top side of my list for the 9 rides we did there. A little techy, some fun stuff to play on and some ripping smooth pieces. Amasa was fun and the views off the back are pretty cool. But, you can get that on Moab Rim, Porc, or Poison Spider/Portal as well.
    We did Sovereign in the morning and then drove over to Bartlett in the afternoon. Bartlett was pretty awesome. But, we bailed half way into the ride due to the sustained 20-30 mph winds directly in to our faces.
    If you are wavering on one day and you've already done the other big rides, skip Amasa for the Sovereign/Bartlett combo. Definately. If you have to have the multi-ledge manuals all day, you can get a longer run at it on Porc Rim.

Old man on a bike
    On my recent trip I rode the entire Sovereign Trail singletrack for the first time. We started at Willow Springs and rode out as far as we could on the singletrack and our map wasn't clear about if it continued or not, but some people we ran into said it did if we connected with some of the Sovereign ATV sections so we kept going and found it again and rode the final loop. Something like 24 miles and 3000 ft of elevation gain, so it's a decent sized ride. Lots of nice little ups and downs, fun twisty singletrack, some nice ledges and a slickrock playa to play on. Now on my list of must do's when in Moab.

We didn't try Amasa this time due to the reports of the sanitizing for the trucks to service the pipeline.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

Just rode amassa and sovereign

Just got back from Moab, and rode both amassa and sovereign. They have definitely smoothed out some sections of amassa, but it is still a very fun trail with a killer view. I wasn't sure what to expect...but I was less dissappointed than I expected to be...if that makes sense. Its still a challenging ride and I would recommend it.

That being said, sovereign is also a cool trail...different from amassa in that it is all singletrack. You don't have to deal with the sounds or smell of a string of jeeps.

Both trails are a ton of fun...you really can't go wrong. We usually do sovereign on the way out of town...but you could probably do both of them in one day if you're motivated. Ride amassa in the morning, then hit sovereing on the way outta town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Amasa Back still fun

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Just got back from Moab, and rode both amassa and sovereign. They have definitely smoothed out some sections of amassa, but it is still a very fun trail with a killer view. I wasn't sure what to expect...but I was less dissappointed than I expected to be...if that makes sense. Its still a challenging ride and I would recommend it.

That being said, sovereign is also a cool trail...different from amassa in that it is all singletrack. You don't have to deal with the sounds or smell of a string of jeeps.

Both trails are a ton of fun...you really can't go wrong. We usually do sovereign on the way out of town...but you could probably do both of them in one day if you're motivated. Ride amassa in the morning, then hit sovereing on the way outta town.

I've ridden Amasa Back for years. At one time in the distant past more of it was rideable than was the case just a few years ago. Now that they've "smoothed out" some of the more torn up parts, heck, these are again rideable (up, that is). Before I last rode it in April 2005, I didn't know what to expect what with all the dire reports of it being not the same trail, avoid it. Well, shee-it, folks, it's as great a ride as ever and whoever avoids it because of these bogus reports is missing a wonderful riding experience.
    As far as Sovereign, I rode that 4 times on my April trip and loved every minute of it. New singletrack in Moab, what a treat. I don't think it's fair to either trail to say which is better, they're different and both worthy of your time.

Sep 2004

Must do both

We wnet twice. Each time we went for a week and rode twice a day. You must ride both they are two different types of trails.