Amasa Back Single Track- Mtbr.com
    yelgatgab
    Jan 2004

Amasa Back Single Track

We rode Amasa Back last weekend and had an absolute blast. However, despite hearing about a singletrack alternative that turns it into a nice loop, we were unable to find the correct turnoff. Granted, we were working with limited info from a group of XC riders that were equally as clueless.

Anyway, can anybody offer up some more detailed directions. I got on bikerag, and the info is pretty limited there too. Is this thing more obvious than I'm realizing? Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member

its been a long time but...

Somewhere near the powerline (I think) you could drop down a trail on the east side of Amasa Back to the Colorado and then a short spin back to pavement near the turnoff to Kane Springs rd. But that was in 1992 when the Portal trail was actually cleanable on a hardtail with a rigid fork.

mtbr member

Pipe

On the way back down you turn left at the pipe that crosse the trail. It starts off looking like a faded fire road and fades a little more for a while but turns into a nice cliffside singletrack. The toughest part is crossing the little creek at the bottom, especially during high flows.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    FYI, if you have issues with heights or exposure, I'd be hesitant to ride this one. It's a long way down to the river.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maniloff
    FYI, if you have issues with heights or exposure, I'd be hesitant to ride this one. It's a long way down to the river.
    I was okay on Portal, so I don't think I have issues w/ either??

Thanks for the warning though.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Somewhere near the powerline (I think) you could drop down a trail on the east side of Amasa Back to the Colorado and then a short spin back to pavement near the turnoff to Kane Springs rd. But that was in 1992 when the Portal trail was actually cleanable on a hardtail with a rigid fork.
    When I did this last spring I distictly remember there now being a big official looking sign where the single track takes off from the dirt road. I think they named it Jacksons trail. It is hariy but you can easily walk all the nasty bits. You need some pretty big cahones to make some of those moves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    http://www.motosapiens.net/trails.html has a map and gps track of that trail. i did it before the sign went up, so i just called it 'amasa back/pipeline trail'.

mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Members who have read this thread: 0