AMA "Closed," for redesign and rebuild...next few months or so.- Mtbr.com
    NOT Team Sanchez

AMA "Closed," for redesign and rebuild...next few months or so.

Hey fellas,

This message is for all those who know of the AMA: The trail's in need of some maintenance and I figure while I'm fixing it back up I can also get the things I've been wanting to change just right.........the last year has been a good trial period for me to decide what worked well, and what worked great...I'm shooting to have it all great. So, in consideration of the hundreds of hours I've spent on it, and many more I will be spending on it, please steer clear for the next few months so that I don't have waste time fixing damage to unfinished moves, Thanks!

oh and tell those that may not see this but know of the trail what's up for me, thanks again.
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    Good Idea. What are you looking to change? It needs to rain or rent a water truck so building would be primo...

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm going to dry build and wait for rain, it's works ok as long as it's not ridden, when winter rolls around it solidifies nicely to where it's never going to need maintenance again.
    Last edited by wasea04; 05-06-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

teaser shots

So I've spent about eight hours up on the AMA this week working hard, I call it ama evolution
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    Ah....very nice my Friend. I'm pretty sure I saw ur Sequia up there this morning and tonight but I of course was working so sorry. I was very tempted to drive up there with a shovel. Nice new work on the step up by the way. I like that the first hit is now bigger. I always felt it was kinda akward the way you had to go into it before.

NOT Team Sanchez

more.......

the big step up is not new, it looks nice though.........for you who have hit it, remember the tough left turn down the hill across the road and off a step down? Well, instead of that dang tight left turn, you roll straing thru the other line and parallel the road terrace to a new 16' or as long as 22' step down..........It's so sick! I terraced the whole hill for the landing, I'm getting pretty good at my rock work if I don't say so myself
    Last edited by wasea04; 05-06-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Yeah, I'm building everything bigger, and better (the trail entranc step up is literally nearly twice as big, both takeoff height and landing height).........but not so big the trail loses it's fun factor to plain fear factor like some of the newer moves we've built on the barrels........the darn teabag is taking casualties left and right, so far there's been one blown up shock, on ruined rear wheel and der, one rebroken clavicle, and just last thursday a dislocated shoulder......and the guy didn't even go down!!!!! I'm going to rework so that the lip is almost like a flat drop style take off as we've shooting way too far which is not good on a move that's already 21'x10'.
    Last edited by wasea04; 05-06-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    Very Nice! so If you hit the new step down you will bypass the old-first one after the road crossing? After that do you just hang a right into the single track that goes to the hip/ plank looking step down then accross the road again to meet up with the rest of the trail.....wow that sounds confusing I'll just take a peak tomorrow night.

You ever run into the tower maint. dudes heading up the road?

NOT Team Sanchez

I drew a map

I'm going to do some sort of grand repopening day, so that I can show off the new features and give everybody the tour as a tour will be needed
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I just wave and say hi when I'm see them, no probs thus far.........one did ask me if I was planting a garden once (probably thought I was growing weed or something) but once he realized I was the guy doing the bike trail he just wanted to know when he could see someone ride it In fact, today a utah state gov't truck drove past and waved?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    I just wave and say hi when I'm see them, no probs thus far.........one did ask me if I was planting a garden once (probably thought I was growing weed or something) but once he realized I was the guy doing the bike trail he just wanted to know when he could see someone ride it In fact, today a utah state gov't truck drove past and waved?
    I gotta say, that is some sick looking stuff you're putting in down there. Nice rock work indeed!

NOT Team Sanchez
    Well the inevitabe occurred.........some [email protected]$$ rode the AMA and partially ruined the stuff in progress, my bro and I wasted an hour fixing the damage, what really gets me is that I have a sign at the trailhead explaining what the OP above says, and also large rocks on the takeoffs.......it's like they're shooting themself in the foot; The trail would be ready sooner for them to ride if they would just knock it off, now they've univited themself.......bottom line (and Hell yes this is a rant.....and somewhat a threat) is I'm there most days, and although I'm really trying to find zen and just let it go, I'm also redhead with the stereotypical redhead temper. If I run into someone up there it's going to be very unpleasant.....and I've got a shovel

BTW, whomever you are, you suck..........you cased and ruined two landings, how ghey!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Well the inevitabe occurred.........some [email protected]$$ rode the AMA and partially ruined the stuff in progress, my bro and I wasted an hour fixing the damage, what really gets me is that I have a sign at the trailhead explaining what the OP above says, and also large rocks on the takeoffs.......it's like they're shooting themself in the foot; The trail would be ready sooner for them to ride if they would just knock it off, now they've univited themself.......bottom line (and Hell yes this is a rant.....and somewhat a threat) is I'm there most days, and although I'm really trying to find zen and just let it go, I'm also redhead with the stereotypical redhead temper. If I run into someone up there it's going to be very unpleasant.....and I've got a shovel

BTW, whomever you are, you suck..........you cased and ruined two landings, how ghey!

This is the same thing I see with all artists, they want to control the way their art is used but once you put it out there to the public it takes on a life of it's own.
    Allan, I wish you luck in keeping the self medicating, dirty Hessians off your art.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I admit that you're uncannily correct Mark, I had to laugh when I read what you'd wrote
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    The new work looks sweet! Sorry we missed you when we were down last. My sister took a nice face-plant and another friend fractured his wrist on Little Creek Mesa so we didn't get a chance to do much else while down there. We will be down in veyo over memorial though so maybe we'll hit you up. The wife and I are working on building some new stuff up here so give us a shout next time you head this way!!

~~~~~~~~
    Yeah, I'm building everything bigger, and better (the trail entranc step up is literally nearly twice as big, both takeoff height and landing height).........but not so big the trail loses it's fun factor to plain fear factor like some of the newer moves we've built on the barrels........the darn teabag is taking casualties left and right, so far there's been one blown up shock, on ruined rear wheel and der, one rebroken clavicle, and just last thursday a dislocated shoulder......and the guy didn't even go down!!!!! I'm going to rework so that the lip is almost like a flat drop style take off as we've shooting way too far which is not good on a move that's already 21'x10'.
    sanchez's have been quiet lately, hope all is well. It really bugs me to hear about injuries on features that I've contributed to. Been thinking about and working on safetying stuff lately...

NOT Team Sanchez

our eyes got a little bigger than our stomachs.......

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    sanchez's have been quiet lately, hope all is well. It really bugs me to hear about injuries on features that I've contributed to. Been thinking about and working on safetying stuff lately...

Yeah, it's a bummer for certain, We no longer jump the teabag.......not until I redo the takeoff anyway. I don't think the bigger stuff isn't built safe, it's just the margin for error at the new level of riding we've been dabbling in isn't very forgiving......when it's a 7-8 drop and you shoot a little long it's uncomfortable, but you can manage. However, when you overshoot something like the teabag you're landing around 11-12 feet down and nearly 30 feet out to almost flat, not pleasant....... Ben did that once and couldn't handle the impact and got bucked off the bike. I stayed up but ruined my rear wheel when I did the same. The landing on the teabag is actually quite big but the drop is 5-6 feet higher than any other similar stepdown we've built, so we go into it thinking we've got to go fast like on the money booter, but we forget that the longer you're dropping the farther you're flying too!

For the record I'm always the voice of reason on our moves, Ben always pushes for bigger and I push for smaller..........the middle ground we agree on is still plenty big enough. Since I've built the AMA mostly by myself, I've been able to enjoy artistic license if you will to build as I like..........this has given the AMA a very fun personality, I ride it solo without too much worry, the biggest drop is just over 9 feet, and the largest gap is about 22 feet.........the tricky part about the trail is that are are nearly 50 stunts in about two miles, you've got to be very alert
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    The Little Green water Truck was up there today packing stuff down and doin some fix'n on the "B" lines.

NOT Team Sanchez
    you're da man Shelbster............I had a good visit with your dad the other day up on the hill, he's seems to be doing well............he told me to tell you not to move, but to make it seem like it was just me telling you
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    Ha, you're not the only person he has said that too. He's pretty but hurt that i'm moving from 2 minutes away to 15 minutes away on the other side of town....good night!

NOT Team Sanchez
    Progress is still coming along nicely, not too much backtracking to make repairs as the trail's seen a little rain although I'm still battling fellow cyclists to stay off while it's still under construction which I'm perplexed by still, I'm halfway down and gaining momentum.........I'm still shooting for July sometime to "officially," reopen the trail.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    How did all this rain help you out?

NOT Team Sanchez
    rain turns our powder sugar consistency summer dirt into nice tacky hard pack clay, as a side note I met the offending party on the trail this morning, it was some teens, I had a good visit with them, nice kids and great riders, I'm really excited for the scene here. I think in a few years there's going to be some very talented pro riders coming out of the area! I informed them that the trail was "closed," 'til July so I could finish the rebuild to which they offered to help.......once again really cool kids, and yes I'm an over-reactor
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Nice that you got things worked out. My next visit down south will be mid July sometime. I hope I get a chance to see your work.

mtbr member
    Too bad I am not in the area any more the trail is really close to my house.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    rain turns our powder sugar consistency summer dirt into nice tacky hard pack clay, as a side note I met the offending party on the trail this morning, it was some teens, I had a good visit with them, nice kids and great riders, I'm really excited for the scene here. I think in a few years there's going to be some very talented pro riders coming out of the area! I informed them that the trail was "closed," 'til July so I could finish the rebuild to which they offered to help.......once again really cool kids, and yes I'm an over-reactor

So you were nice to them? I haven't been on it out of fear of a shovel to the head. I thought you'd be saying something along the lines of the future of local riders is going to have to wait a little longer because you took them out.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Saturday August 8th is the opening day..........I'm still only halfway and still spending way too much time backtracking to fix prematurely ridden takeoffs and landings.
    I like bikes.

Team Sanchez
    Nice work allen. I cant wait to ride it again especially after seeing the pics on this thread.
    Call me when your going to work on the trail and ill try to come help, SERIOUSLY.

NOT Team Sanchez
    On track for this Saturday!
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Success!
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    sorry couldn't be there, im outta town working all week

Members who have read this thread: 0