alternate bike for enchilada and/or ahab- Mtbr.com
    a2b
    that made me really dizzy
    Apr 2007

alternate bike for enchilada and/or ahab

OK so after just finding out my second/last option for brake repair had failed, I now need a bike for my trip to Moab tomorrow.
    My full suspension bike ain't gonna work, and am wondering if my new fat bike, a hardtail diamondback with a 100 bluto fork will work for TWE and ahab? Is this stupid or whats your opinion?

mtbr member
    I never went to Moab in the last century but I'm sure there were guys riding the Moab classic trails on full blown hardtail with old school cantilever brakes and did just fine. So with that thinking, you could probably ride that DB fat bike. However, since you're asking, my advice would be to rent a 140-160mm travel full suspension bike from one of the shops there. Based on my personal experience renting bikes for my son, Poison Spider had the best equipment...or at least cared to tune their bikes up before renting them out.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    good advice above, you will have a lot better time

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    We went down last weekend and shuttled The Whole Enchilada. I rented a mid-fat bike (Spec. Stumpy 6fattie) from Moab Cyclery and loved it! A full fat bike may be a bit much for such a long ride but who knows.... I had my normal bike for the other days or riding but I loved having the bigger tires for the ride. It will be a zoo down there but should still be fun!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I have done TWE many times on a Borealis Echo with my Bluto set at 120. If you tune your fork with a little extra pressure not only will you be fine but it will be great fun. You will be standing up a good bit more that a FS but you will rail the corners. People that are anti-fat on trails normally have not ridden one. I now ride a FS fatty and would never go back to a bike limited by needing a trail 👍🏻

mtbr member
    In my experience, you can ride almost anything on a hardtail you can ride on a FS, just not as fast. I rode Captain Ahab on my 29+ hardtail, and it wasn't an issue. It was still fun, but I did have more fun (i.e. faster) when I had previously rode it on my FS bike (even though is was only a 4" travel bike)

a2b
    that made me really dizzy
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the advice fellows.
    I ended up finding another friend that let me use his old brake. I was riding with six others and in hind sight, there's no way I could have kept up with them on WE. I do think that a fatbike would work, and even be way fun on both of those trails, Ahab more than WE. Moab is a cool place.
    Cheers!