Aliens or Meteors... you decide- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Aliens or Meteors... you decide

Well, a few crazies came out to dig on the Draper trail last eve but while walking down to where the work was to continue, there were some strange things noticed on the trail....

At first, we thought there had been a UFO landing (hey, there are bones all over the hillside, they mutilate things, right?) but then we thought maybe a meteor had touched down...

Well, after a bit more walking, we found a rather large rock had dislodged and rolled down the hill, with significant velocity, and - unfortunately - came to rest right after the corner before the step-up. Let's say the dimensions are close to the size of a Civic Hatchback. Probably 6 feet diameter and 3 feet high. It bounced off the manhole cover once as well.

Can anybody say 'reroute'? I think without some heavy equipment or a stick or two of dynamite, this thing ain't going nowhere. It wasn't there on Tuesday (I was in that area then). I'm glad we weren't working on the trail when this happened....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bored Carp
    nice! new trail feature!
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Build a teeter-tootor over that thing.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    I say we build a jump off of it and make it a step down to step up.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Gonna be a handful to move that sucker

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    For context, this rock is laying at the exit of a fast berm and just a few feet before the take-off of a nice sized step-up.

The Prof and I were just discussing possible means of moving it off the trail. It's a big, heavy sucker though, not going to be easy.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    would could try and use a come along to move that beast

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I'll take care of it. I mean, I am huge, you know...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBC2008
    would could try and use a come along to move that beast
    I think we'd have to hook it up to about 70 of the trees... I do have a 2-ton come-along (I think that's the rating)....

Quote Originally Posted by freebird79
    I say we build a jump off of it and make it a step down to step up.
    Not a bad idea, but as Err mentions - it's just below the berm setting you up for the step-up... and since it's a blue trail, we need a ride around if we do that....

Hmmmm......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    I'll take care of it. I mean, I am huge, you know...
    Cool! While you're at it, could you just carry it up the hill and we'll use it as the entrance filter?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    wonder if we could make it a rollable step-down, only a jump if you're carrying a bunch of speed, like you'll need for the step-up?

and the beginners could just roll it can go around the step-up?

hmm....

Bored Carp
    Based on what I saw last weekend, JMH and Err can get that rock off the trail. They have a hydraulic project down south where it would come in pretty handy, anyway...

-

A roller would be cool, something that adds to the flow of the trail for blue-level riders. Step-up/step-downs are cool, but 90% of intermediate riders aren't going to hit them. Speaking as someone with a lot of blue-level skills, it is SUCH a bummer when the only way you can maintain flow is to hit something that is really a black-diamond level feature. I expect it to happen on advanced trails, but would love to have a trail where I can work on speed, flow, etc without ridus-interruptus every time I get to an interesting feature.

I don't think I suck, but I know that there are gaps in my skillset. I would imagine that there are similar gaps in most blue-level rider's skillsets. Anyway, food for thought.

JMH and I really need to get down there to build again soon.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I say that we find SOME way to move it. The flow looked so good through that section.

Or we could make multiple lines through that section, i.e. build a ladder from the berm to get to the top of the boulder with a nice roller down the other side, and build a higher line on the berm that would take the rider on the west side of the boulder and almost directly across the sewer cut onto the step up. Not sure how the landing for the step up would need to be changed though...

Homer's problem child
    A bunch of people way back in the day carved rock into a cubes and hauled and stacked them into the pyramids.

Here we are b!tching about one little rock. Time and technology has made us soft. I bet if we get enough people and some good rope we might be albe to roll it out of the way.

If not I work for the largest manufacturer of solid rocket propellant in the world. Maybe I can talk my management into some scraps.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    I like to play with explosives, maybe I am in the wrong line of work

mtbr member
    The idea of hauling that thing out the way makes me think we should just dig a pit, push the stupid thing in, cover it up, pat it down, and be home by lunchtime.

Seriously, IMO our whole crew with all the rope in the world isn't going to budge that beast an inch (though I'd like to give it a go). And come-alongs attached to 100 scrub oaks is going to take some monumental execution. We're going to have to get creative. Or explosives.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    If not I work for the largest manufacturer of solid rocket propellant in the world. Maybe I can talk my management into some scraps.

B
    I work out there too, as an electrician for a contractor there.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    6-8 dudes with a few prybars could get that off the trail. We don't need to move it far.

JMH

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Really tough to get a size perspective on that thing but if you can't move it with a few rock bars, how about a car jack? As long as you can get a nice rock as a solid platform for the jack I would think there's a good chance it will budge.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Really tough to get a size perspective on that thing but if you can't move it with a few rock bars, how about a car jack? As long as you can get a nice rock as a solid platform for the jack I would think there's a good chance it will budge.
    Maybe onto something. Sandstone is somewhere between 2 and 2.5 tons/m3, which I'm guessing may make the rock around 4 tons. i doubt a car-jack will move that, but i have a jack that will. if we dig down, throw in enough rocks to make a firm base, we may be able to move that thing over without just pushing the jack down into the ground. A few bottle jacks or car jacks around the side will help. if we can roll it over a couple of times we may be able to get it out the way. If anyone wants to give it a try let me know and i'll met you up there next dig day (saturday?).

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleWhiteCaveman
    Maybe onto something. Sandstone is somewhere between 2 and 2.5 tons/m3, which I'm guessing may make the rock around 4 tons. i doubt a car-jack will move that, but i have a jack that will. if we dig down, throw in enough rocks to make a firm base, we may be able to move that thing over without just pushing the jack down into the ground. A few bottle jacks or car jacks around the side will help. if we can roll it over a couple of times we may be able to get it out the way. If anyone wants to give it a try let me know and i'll met you up there next dig day (saturday?).
    Is that thing settled right into the base of a ravine? I'd say dig out the low side and just let it move itself but if there isn't really a low side that won't work. 4 tons would definitely be more than the average jack will handle but if you've got something bigger maybe it will work. I also like the idea of building it into the line but if it's a flow killer where it is probably best to find a way to move it. I really need to get down there and see everything for myself sometime soon. If you're going tomorrow please post up and I'll riad our car trunks for jacks and try to make it down, really need to lend a hand with this build sometime soon. Only complication for me is it's my wife's birthday weekend and I'm not sure if she wants to celebrate tomorrow or Sunday.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    We're not digging this saturday as it's the Draper City trail day. Next digs are next Wedneday and then the big monthly dig day on the following Saturday (6/14).

I agree with you guys that it can be moved with some combination of digging, jacking, pulling, etc.

mtbr member
    Unless I hear differently I am going to show up Wednesday around 5pm with chains, come-alongs and a high-lift jack. If anyone else can bring pry bars, car jacks etc, that could be really useful. First one to move the rock gets to take it home as a souvenir.

If anyone has a better idea, or has got it rolling already, let me know so I don't have to drag this stuff down.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Sounds good. I'll bring my banana sling too (see above).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Sounds good. I'll bring my banana sling too (see above).
    ...er..if that's all you're bringing then you may as well tie that come-along around my neck and pop my head off like a cork. Unless you're planning on scaring that rock out of the way, in which case you may be saving us a lot of work.

Members who have read this thread: 0