To Ahab or not to Ahab.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

To Ahab or not to Ahab.

Hi All! I'll be in Moab 6/4-8 and am really enticed to ride Captain Ahab but I'd like some info from those of you who have ridden it first. I like trails with some reasonable chunk so I want to give you some comparisons with other trails to see if Ahab is reasonable for me.

In Moab I've ridden and enjoyed Porc Rim although I walked the really techno parts which it seems have been sanitized since my last visit, Bull Run and all the Mag 6 trails except Portal; I'll never do that one cuz' the cliffside HAB freaks me out! Sovereign, all the Bar M trails and all the Klondike trails were right in my comfort zone. In Fruita/GJ I loved Horsethief, Mack Ridge, Ribbon Loop.

Those trails that I didn't enjoy or downright hated were Jackson trail off Amasa; walked all the sharp, steep, exposed parts before having to swim across the creek; Rockstacker; never ridden it thinking it would be like Jackson! Over in Fruita/GJ I rode and disliked Holy Cross; too much slow speed, uphill chunk for me; Moore Fun; had to walk up most of the climb and down the tougher chunk after the top and broke my chainstay on one of the drops I did ride.

With those comparisons in mind, please give your input on whether Ahab would be good for me. From the vids and pics I've seen, it looks mostly ridable/enjoyable for me; tougher than some of the trails mentioned above but also easier in some places. Even the recommended HAB section on Ahab looks less severe than Portal.

FYI I'm 56, ride a Trek EX9, climb slow but I get there and descend reasonably fast but not crazy, don't like drops over a foot and generally don't do many jumps on purpose! I'd appreciate on info and advice you all can offer. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I consider Ahab to be technically easy for riders with upper intermediate or advanced skill sets when compared to the other trails you list.
    For intermediate riders, there will be challenges, but nothing is really technically difficult although it may be mentally challenging.
    On the downhill, everything can be rolled and the lines are obvious.
    It's a well designed trail built by riders for riders.
    There are many alt lines and the feel of the trail is entirely speed dependent.
    There is more climbing on the way up than you'd think, so, depending on your cardio and climbing ability, you may find it to be a workout.
    I think it gets the "double black" difficulty rating form the governing agency just due to one turn. If you were flying and overshot that turn, it would not go well.
    However, that turn is signed and it really isn't difficult at all, just a high penalty for doing something stupid or out of control.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Norman's got it. Great response. It looks harder than it is. Trust the builders and roll the hard looking spots and it all works out fine. Nothing too super technical for good upper intermediate rider. I say definitely give it a go.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

beater

To Ahab or not to Ahab.

^agreed.

SS Pusher Man
    Double post
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

SS Pusher Man
    We there this weekend.....rode it for the first time.

3 out 4 of us are advanced riders and one was Intermediate+ and we all found the trail to be great fun.

Like stated by the other posters, everything on the trail is rideable. Going into it blind wasn't really an issue.

We did find that there was a lot of climbing on that trail....more than we thought there would be. There is enough in between the techy sections to keep most comfortable...and as you have already said, you can just walk any of the features you don't like.

We did the HyMasa/Porthole Arch/Rockstacker/Ahab loop....Rockstacker seemed a bit overhyped except for a few features. The only one we didn't hit was the 1st one. Still a fun trail.....actually the whole loop was a blast.

I rode my Tallboy and really never felt the need for more bike.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the input people! Sounds and looks like it will be a great ride for me too!

mtbr member
    There's also a good POV video of Ahab around here somewhere which would give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I took my wife down the lower half of it this weekend. She walked lots of difficult parts but still had fun. She would be comfortable on Porcupine but would still have to walk some features and is generally comfortable on all but the hardest of the Bar M trail system. So it sounds like you are above her ability level.