After work rides near SLC for out of towner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

After work rides near SLC for out of towner

I'm going to be in SLC this week from Monday-Thur for work and am thinking about bringing my bike along. What would be some good 10ish mile loops close to town that I could do after 5pm? I'll bring lights along just in case it gets towards dark.
    Looking at mtb project I'm thinking a modified draper rim loop to include the rush downhill, quarry trail out and back, and the Bobsled via Bonneville Shoreline Trail.
    Any other suggestions or is there anyone that's willing to show me around?

Frame Building Moderator
    Shoreline and Corner Canyon will be your best bets. Everything else is either going to take too long to get to or will be muddy/snowy.

There are enough miles of trail and variants (you can ride all the way to Bountiful from the Hogle Zoo with lots of interesting side trips to take along the way - the climb/descent up Red Butte is one of my favorites) on the BST that you won't get bored in 4 days, but I'd still go hit CC one afternoon if you can get out a little early and beat traffic. More driving, more manicured, but super fun.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I've found everything except red butte, where is that located and where would be the best places to stage for these different areas? 29er hardtail or 26 fully?

Frame Building Moderator
    Any bike will be fine. Shoreline is occasionally rocky but not super technical anywhere. You might enjoy your dually more on Bobsled if you like to get air (there are many opportunities).

Browse Trails By Map | Trailforks

Park at the Zoo. When you get to the Natural History museum, go uphill at every opportunity and you'll do the Red Butte climb (techy, rock-steppy, lung-busting fun). It's a maze but since you can see SLC the whole time, you can't really get "lost" in any meaningful way. Watch out for other trail users, there will be tons after work time.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the intel Walt. I managed 14 miles the first evening, parked at the zoo and rode up dry creek down bobsled and back. Got in another 12 miles at CC the next day hitting Jacobs ladder and rush. I'm really glad I brought my bike, that was some fun riding.