I railed it like Kong

Advice for moving to St George

Hi All,

I am currently looking at moving to the St George area. I guess i'm asking what life is like in the area? Riding? Economy? Schools? (college and elementary)

I currently live in Phoenix, AZ. With the way the housing market is, i can pull out some major equity and pay off all my debts and get out. We're tired of the big city. I visited St George last year and was super impressed.

I know i'm asking for a lot of broad info but throw it at me- whatever opinions you got.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member

St. George

Check out housing prices in the area, they are just going crazy. I was able to buy a house just before the boom and just amazed at how much my house would sell for now in just the little time I have owned it.

It's hot here, but you are used to that.
    Mormon culture (form your own opinion).
    Riding is ok... (ok, it's better then ok but we are trying to keep it quiet).
    Schools, in my opinion, are average.
    Economy is good, city is growing fast (too fast).
    Last edited by twinzen; 07-05-2005 at 07:54 AM.

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by twinzen
    Check out housing prices in the area, they are just going crazy. I was able to buy a house just before the boom and just amazed at how much my house would sell for now in just the little time I have owned it.

It's hot here, but you are used to that.
    Mormon culture (form your own opinion).
    Riding is ok... (ok, it's better then ok but we are trying to keep it quiet).
    Schools, in my opinion, are average.
    Economy is good, city is growing fast (too fast).

Housing is definitely an issue. My house here in phoenix doubled in 4 years. Rediculous!
    The good part of that is i sell flooring. So when the housing economy is booming so is work for me. But buying a house would likely have to be sooner rather than later.

Is there a housing area or subdivision that i should look at? My price range is capped at around 160K. Need at least 4 bedroom. I plan on getting a realtor for this, but if i can get some names, i'll do some internet research first. I'm not familiar with the areas of town. good/bad - you know.

Team Sanchez
    $160K for 4 bedrooms? Good luck! The housing market is booming here, and as you can imagine, the prices are on the rise. I moved to St. George last October, after cashing out from my condo in Orange County. In the past 10 months, I have made about $100K in equity on my 2800 square foot place here in Santa Clara Heights. If you are planning on moving here, do it sooner than later, as to avoid being priced out on homes. As for the culture ect....my wife and I are very happy with the move. I chose this place specifically for the cycling culture. World Class MTB trails, and great road biking too. I'm still trying to adjust to the sudden heat wave, but i just hit the trails at 6:00am now, and its all good.

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    $160K for 4 bedrooms? Good luck! The housing market is booming here, and as you can imagine, the prices are on the rise.
    What about living farther from town? Here some people live an 1 - 1 1/2 hours from downtown. Is that a big deal? or are houses in surrounding town getting outragous too?

Team Sanchez
    I believe you can still find reasonable housing in Hurricane which would also put you 20 minutes closer to trails like Gooseberry, Little Creek, Grafton, and JEM. Check out the housing prices there. It is more of a small town feel, and the schools are pretty mediocre, but it's worth a look.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Funny to read about St George UT, as I had never heard of it here in Illinois. Until my older nieghbor told me about it, seems he has owned a plot out there for 20 years and takes 2 weeks every year. Near St george at least, but man it sounds wonderful out there.........
    T

mtbr member

Best of luck

I moved my family to St. George in 2001 and have never regretted a single day and pray I never have to leave. If you look as far as Cedar City you may find what your looking for price wise.

I am a general contrator in town and trying really hard not to sound snooty, I could not even get close to $160,000 on new construction. I could give you some realtors names so you could get some feed back from them

mtbr member

Good Luck

How are you planniing on making a living? I need a Dentist

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    How are you planniing on making a living? I need a Dentist
    I sell flooring here in Phoenix. I'm on the sales side of the business. You being a contractor may know of some reputable flooring stores i could contact. I sell mostly to high end remodels now so if i could stay in that setting, that would be ideal. I contacted Carpet Giant/ Carpet One- they sounded ok on the phone. Also Flooring America in La Verkin but that didn't sound promising at all. Any help here would be great too.

I got my home dentist kit in the mail last month. Just set an appointment with my secretary.