Access to the Mesas in a Class C RV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Access to the Mesas in a Class C RV

I'm headed out to Hurricane in April with the family and am interested in dry camping in our 29 foot Class C motorhome at Gooseberry or Little Creek.

Is the road to Gooseberry likely accessible in a largish motorhome? (I understand rain and weather conditions may change this answer.)

Is camping even allowed on Little Creek mesa, and if so, what's that access road like?

I know Guacamole isn't accessible in an RV, what about Wire Mesa? I keep hearing things about it but haven't been there.

Thanks for any help you all can provide...

-James

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    The road to the Goose from the scenic byway can stick Hummers to their axles or just be a bounce-along if dry. The scenic byway out of Apple Valley, that long straight road, was somewhat hard surfaced but very washboard last fall. Rumor is it is getting paved from Apple Valley to Rockville. Would be nice!

People haul house trails back to the Goose so you should be fine in dry conditions. There are usually ruts but you should be able to slowly deal with them.

I haven't seen the short access road to the Wire Mesa TH be a problem for vehicles with decent clearance and shouldn't be for you. There is some flat ground to park and camp at the TH.

Most camping on the Goose is by the first TH with a toilet at White Road and Windmill. Look at a satellite view to see the many sites. Lots of little side roads. Pick one or park at that TH and explore by bike.

There is camping at the Guac TH and usually the road is fine for a motorhome of any size. Dalton Wash Road out of Virgin is usually not a problem until you get to that steep section. No sharp corners. However, it is steep and narrow near the end so only attempt this when dry. It may be badly rutted when you get there but you can back up and turn around easy enough. Or just park at the bottom of the final 1/4 mile and check it out on a bike. The locals are keeping it graded, but conditions change.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    No way would I try getting a Class C motorhome out to the Little Creek TH....there are a couple of rock "step-ups" towards the end that may take a bite out of your rig. That being said, you may get lucky and people definitely camp back there. I think there camping up on Gooseberry is much better anyway.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

Your Best Friend
    Gooseberry:
    The road is awesome right now, yes...even in January. There is a rocky section on the climb up to the mesa itself that could cause you a headache. There is camping on the right hand side of the road before the climb. I often see big campers up there and wonder, but hey, they made it.

Little Creek:
    The road is washboard hell right now and I don't know the graders schedule. There is one G out that may be difficult for a long wheel base vehicle. At the only rock step up, there are several camping spots right before it.

Wire Mesa. Probably your easiest access. Smithsonian Butte National Scenic Byway has been graded and leveled. Once you make the tight turn onto Wire Mesa, start looking to your right for very nice camping areas. Probably the best ones in the area. Wire Mesa road is not maintained at all and may have some dips and rollers but no rocks.

Guacamole:
    If you can't get your RV to the top, it just isn't worth it. And I'd be willing to bet you're SOL on that one.

Kolob canyon:
    Not mentioned or asked about but highly recommended. Several nice camping areas. Just not able to ride from camp to a trail.

There are also several pay to stay RV parks with full hookups in the area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    SilentFoe mentioned that rock climb on the access road to the Goose. Walk ahead to check it out first of course because success depends on your primitive road driving skills and experience.

My approach would be to go up the right side then below the ledge cut to the left and almost put your nose in the trees. Maybe 15' before the ledge cut sharp right and put your left front tire on the ledge first. Continue traversing and getting all your tires above the ledge.

With that length rig you don't have a lot of room for such a maneuver but the road is rather wide there.

When returning just get up to about 50 mph and send it. Tell the family to hang on.

:-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Helpful info, all! Thanks.

mtbr member
    James if you camped near Wire Mesa you could ride that, trails on Grafton and Gander right from camp. Gander connects Grafton to Gooseberry. Not sure if you ever rode that with us, but it is worthwhile. Gooseberry itself would be a bit of a haul from there by bike, but not terrible.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    James if you camped near Wire Mesa you could ride that, trails on Grafton and Gander right from camp. Gander connects Grafton to Gooseberry. Not sure if you ever rode that with us, but it is worthwhile. Gooseberry itself would be a bit of a haul from there by bike, but not terrible.
    While true that a trail (Not Gander) connects Grafton to Gooseberry, it's not exactly rideable and should only be done if you've decided that you hate yourself. Much better to ride the dirt road around.

We are working on a reroute for the Grafton Wash trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    ....it's not exactly rideable and should only be done if you've decided that you hate yourself.
    I've got a couple friends that feel this way about Secret Trail.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

Your Best Friend
    Secret trail is a commitment but at least it's all rideable.

Grafton Wash is crap. Just crap.

mtbr member
    While true that a trail (Not Gander) connects Grafton to Gooseberry, it's not exactly rideable and should only be done if you've decided that you hate yourself. Much better to ride the dirt road around.

I always forget about that part. Was thinking more of the main trail along the rim that starts by the yurts. I don't mind the Grafton wash part. But I like the challenge of steep switchbacks and don't mind hike a bike. Dirt roads are boring.

Your Best Friend
    I always forget about that part. Was thinking more of the main trail along the rim that starts by the yurts. I don't mind the Grafton wash part. But I like the challenge of steep switchbacks and don't mind hike a bike. Dirt roads are boring.
    I like to ride my bike. Hiking is boring.

mtbr member
    Hike a biking can get you to the goods that those who refuse to hike will never see. That, and if you are always able to ride everything are you really challenging yourself?

Your Best Friend
    Hike a biking can get you to the goods that those who refuse to hike will never see. That, and if you are always able to ride everything are you really challenging yourself?
    Oh boy. Yes, there is a time and place for hike a bike. It happens. It still sucks. Grafton Wash has no payoff. Riding around on the dirt road is still amazingly beautiful and you're riding your bike.

Low speed, High Drag
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I have a couple of questions about camping in the area.

We have a 4x4 truck, and a 25 ft. trailer. We're fully self-sufficient, and can dry camp for days. I like the idea of camping at Wire Mesa. Looks easy to get to, and is close to a road if we need to go anywhere. we're looking at coming up in March, and staying 3-4 days.

Can we camp anywhere, or do we need to be in a designated spot? How far would we be from a riding area? We're both intermediate riders, don't mind a little tech, but the girlfriend can't do drops, or stuff like that. Would there be a better place to stay?
    I need a cool saying to put here.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    People camp near the Wire Mesa TH. This link will give you a good view. On the right going in there is camping and about where Google marks the TH is camping. Most of us park in the loop there and you could camp there but probably more activity then you want.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...4d-113.2336111

This is the main camping area out on the Goose. It shouldn't be too crowded in March, yet.

I assume because you have a 4x4 that your trailer is somewhat high clearance. There is one rocky climb before this camping area that is a little challenging but regular cars get over it with a little skill.

While either location would be fine, there are more trail options on the Goose. My wife is a cautious intermediate and she loves the South Rim / Hidden Canyon trail and to the north, Guacamole. Very very beautiful rides and although many hike a bikes for them it is still worth all the great intermediate riding.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    People camp near the Wire Mesa TH. This link will give you a good view. On the right going in there is camping and about where Google marks the TH is camping. Most of us park in the loop there and you could camp there but probably more activity then you want.

This is the main camping area out on the Goose. It shouldn't be too crowded in March, yet.

I assume because you have a 4x4 that your trailer is somewhat high clearance. There is one rocky climb before this camping area that is a little challenging but regular cars get over it with a little skill.

While either location would be fine, there are more trail options on the Goose. My wife is a cautious intermediate and she loves the South Rim / Hidden Canyon trail and to the north, Guacamole. Very very beautiful rides and although many hike a bikes for them it is still worth all the great intermediate riding.
    Nailed it.

Low speed, High Drag
    Thanks jmpreston, and Silentfoe!!

I think we're gonna head up there, and check it out. We'll stay at Gooseberry, unless we can't find a spot.

Any must do, or must avoid trails?? I've only driven past the place, on the way to St. George!!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    Thanks jmpreston, and Silentfoe!!

I think we're gonna head up there, and check it out. We'll stay at Gooseberry, unless we can't find a spot.

Any must do, or must avoid trails?? I've only driven past the place, on the way to St. George!!
    There's a sticky here with all that info. No trails to avoid.

mtbr member
    Since you haven't ridden up there in Gooseberry, keep in mind as you head out that as you follow the dots...do NOT let your brain override what you think is possible. You will undoubtedly come up to some section on the trail that you will think is not possible to ride up, over, across, etc...that rock out there grips like no other that I've experienced. If you've got the motor, everything is possible out there. Be ready for short punchy climbs that take 100% effort but are over in less than 30 seconds max.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

Low speed, High Drag
    There's a sticky here with all that info. No trails to avoid.

Sweet, thanks again!!

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Since you haven't ridden up there in Gooseberry, keep in mind as you head out that as you follow the dots...do NOT let your brain override what you think is possible. You will undoubtedly come up to some section on the trail that you will think is not possible to ride up, over, across, etc...that rock out there grips like no other that I've experienced. If you've got the motor, everything is possible out there. Be ready for short punchy climbs that take 100% effort but are over in less than 30 seconds max.
    Got it. I'm really looking forward to this trip. You guys have been a tremendous amount of help!!

mtbr member

When was the last time you rode Grafton Wash? I rode it about a week ago from the Grafton side and it was fine (disclaimer I love tech so maybe my opinion is skewed. The switch backs coming down into the wash are tight but rideable, and the wash itself is fine. The climb out towards Gander is a nice grade. A little techy, but nothing ridiculous.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    When was the last time you rode Grafton Wash? I rode it about a week ago from the Grafton side and it was fine (disclaimer I love tech so maybe my opinion is skewed. The switch backs coming down into the wash are tight but rideable, and the wash itself is fine. The climb out towards Gander is a nice grade. A little techy, but nothing ridiculous.
    Riding it FROM Grafton isn't as bad. The grade, switchbacks and rocks make it nearly unrideable from the Gooseberry side. The part that leads from Goose to the wash is nice. The rest needs to be rerouted.

mtbr member
    Agreed. A reroute up out of the wash towards Grafton would be nice for climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com