7-Hours in Bryce- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

7-Hours in Bryce

I'm a new member but I've read lots of treads and have always appreciated the great advice. I'm in the need of some trail planning help for a trip to Bryce next month.

I'm staying off highway 12 and plan to do a warm up ride along Red Canyon Trail and then start hitting the dirt. Any recommendations on how I should spend my 7-hours?

I was looking at Thunder Mountain and maybe Losee Canyon after Red Canyon. Thoughts?

Is there a way to loop some of these trails together? If so, any suggestions on the order?

I've never been biking in Bryce before but am really excited for next months trip. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Try downloading the Trailforks app. It has many of the trails mapped for you with mileage and you can plan your loops. I haven't ridden down there, because there are tourists 😳but when I try a new area I use the app to pre-plan my rides.
    Enjoy your trip.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Try downloading the Trailforks app. It has many of the trails mapped for you with mileage and you can plan your loops. I haven't ridden down there, because there are tourists but when I try a new area I use the app to pre-plan my rides.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out the app today.

Bored Carp
    I've ridden there many times, but not this season. A nice big loop - start in the lower red canyon trailhead parking lot. Ride the dirt roads out to Casto and Cassidy, do those, pop back out onto the highway, ride up the red canyon trail and subsequent fire roads to the upper thunder mountain trailhead hit the trail back down to your starting point. trail forks is a great resource, use it to get mileage and remember that it is all at about 8000 ft. and there is no shade.

Casto can get beat up by cows, but cassidy is great and thunder mountain is the whole point of being there.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    May 2016

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    I've ridden there many times, but not this season. A nice big loop - start in the lower red canyon trailhead parking lot. Ride the dirt roads out to Casto and Cassidy, do those, pop back out onto the highway, ride up the red canyon trail and subsequent fire roads to the upper thunder mountain trailhead hit the trail back down to your starting point. trail forks is a great resource, use it to get mileage and remember that it is all at about 8000 ft. and there is no shade.

Casto can get beat up by cows, but cassidy is great and thunder mountain is the whole point of being there.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I haven't done that route chuky recommended but Tscheezy and Rockman both recommended the same on this older thread.

Here's their suggested routes.

Tshceezy
    'We normally park at the bottom of Red Canyon, take the dirt road west and ride up Casto, east on Cassidy, and then up Red Canyon and finish on the Thunder Mountain loop. It is a really long ride when you add in all the sections, and there is a lot of climbing (with some seriously steep bits on Cassidy). "

Rockman:
    This is definitely the way to do it if you have the time. Maybe 30 miles but the total vert isn't all that bad. Less than 3000' of climbing. Or, climb Cassidy after Thunder and go down Losee and the horse hooves don't seem nearly as bad.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I haven't done that route chuky recommended but Tscheezy and Rockman both recommended the same on this older thread.

Here's their suggested routes.

Tshceezy
    'We normally park at the bottom of Red Canyon, take the dirt road west and ride up Casto, east on Cassidy, and then up Red Canyon and finish on the Thunder Mountain loop. It is a really long ride when you add in all the sections, and there is a lot of climbing (with some seriously steep bits on Cassidy). "

Rockman:
    This is definitely the way to do it if you have the time. Maybe 30 miles but the total vert isn't all that bad. Less than 3000' of climbing. Or, climb Cassidy after Thunder and go down Losee and the horse hooves don't seem nearly as bad.
    Is the correct way to do the ride?

Is this the correct way to do the trail? Red Canyon --> Casto --> Cassidy -->Red Canyon --> Thunder --> Red Canyon back to Car (See map with arrows below)

http://screencast.com/t/JIuNLdaVhttp...com/t/JIuNLdaV