6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!- Mtbr.com
    Singletrack Addict!!!

6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!

Finally, after a recovery from a crash and delayed trip, we're arriving to Park City on Aug 28!!!! We'll also be going 2 days to Moab to ride TWE and some other trails like the newbie Alaska...

What are your suggestions for great singletrack, awesome views, epic rides and fast, swoopy trails? So far Glenwild area, the Wasatch trail, Mid mountain and Cayons/Deer Valley are on the list. We'd like to have a taste of what's around if its worth driving say within 1-2hrs?

At that time how are temps going during day/evening? We are used to 90-100 temps with high humidity.

What other attractions/activities besides riding would you recommend? We want to head out one night to stargaze at high altitude, head north?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Frame Building Moderator
    The usual hit list, in no particular order:
    -Wasatch Crest
    -Some kind of Armstrong/Spiro/John's/Jennies/Midmountain noodling around. You can do a couple of these rides before you get bored as there are plenty of trails to choose from.
    -Glenwild/Flying Dog
    -Round Valley/Lost Prospector stuff if you can find a local to show you a nice loop and you can go early/late enough not to fry.
    -Deer Valley and/or Canyons riding the lift, if riding the lift is your thing

I also like the East Canyon/Pony Express/GWT/Avenues/Moose Hollow loop if you want something a tiny bit more adventurous and technical, but it's pretty overgrown this year.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You and Walt hit most of the ones I've enjoyed around here. Maybe add in Deer Crest -> Spin Cycle? The return trip through Jordanelle and the rail/trail is boring, but the rest is quite fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you want views and variety and you don't mind driving for a few of these rides each one of these will provide you with some outstanding views and a completley different experience. I would consider any one of these as a must do classic Utah ride.

1. Wasatch Crest...Start at Guardsmans Pass go down into Mill Creek to Big water to road to Pipeline

2. PC Ride...Jennis >Mid Mountain> Tommy Two Step> Three Candles> Keystone> Shadow Lake Loop> Wasatch Crest Conn> Puke Hill >Pinecone> Mid Mountain> Spiro

3. Salt Lake Valley Ride...Park at popperton park, ride up to Dry Creek TH on road/bike path. Dry Creek>BST>Bobsled

4. American Fork Ride(just over an hour from PC)...Pedal up Lame Horse (starts out rocky but gets better)>Horse Flat>Snow Gauging>Slamander Flat(out n back)>over to Willow Hollow>157>South Fork Little Deer creek>LameHorse...Lots of options for rides in American fork, probably the most scenic area for mountain biking

5. Shuttle Little Cottonwood Canyon quarry trail from Tanners Campground...classic, feels like your riding in the PNW

6. Snowbasin/Ogden Canyon(hour from PC) Wheeler Creek>East Fork>Middle Fork>Maples>Sardine Peak(clockwise) be sure to check out the overlook>Maples>Ice Box> Wheeler Creek

7. South of Provo (Payson) about an 1:45ish from PC...Blackhawk>Nebo Loop Rd>Lizard Lake>Rock Spring 123

make sure you get a good map. so many more options up in PC too if you plan on sticking around there more.

also check out:
    The Skid Map

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Nice bunch dmar!!, if it's not to much asking, could you give a brief description of each ride? at least 3 to 7?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    Nice bunch dmar!!, if it's not to much asking, could you give a brief description of each ride? at least 3 to 7?
    check out:
    UtahMountainBiking Home Index

Has good beta on the trails mentioned above. For rides 2,4,6,7 allow 3-4 hours at an average pace with a few stops. all xc. If your fast you can knock em out quicker.

Ride 3: will take about 1-2 hours even less if your fast. Bobsled is like the name describes, huge banked turns, nice flow, good fun.

Ride 5: Takes about an Hour for self arranged shuttles up to Tanners. Has steep technical features, I would consider knee pads and a capable AM bike for this trail. Some ride it with DH bikes and Full Face. If your not into that you can do the lower Quarry trail as an out n back.

Perpetual n00b
    6. Snowbasin/Ogden Canyon(hour from PC) Wheeler Creek>East Fork>Middle Fork>Maples>Sardine Peak(clockwise) be sure to check out the overlook>Maples>Ice Box> Wheeler Creek
    I suppose I can comment on this one.

Wheeler Creek is a wide, cindered, rocky "road" with a gradual incline. Very shaded and cool even in July. Climbs up to Art Nord trailhead. There's restrooms here if you need one. Across the road is East Fork.

Wheeler Creek road
    6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!-10488411_671844062870290_640581567_n.jpg

I rode East Fork once and never again because it was boring and the "singletrack" is like 6 feet wide. I usually stay right on the Wheeler Creek trail and head for Middle Fork as seen in the following image from UtahMountainBiking.com
    Name:  m-eastfork.gif
Views: 789
Size:  7.9 KB

On Wheeler Creek trail headed towards Middle Fork
    6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!-10488722_707854869287960_1593669809_n.jpg

Middle Fork is somewhat shaded with nothing very memorable going on. At the end, you'll reach the Green Pond trailhead on Hwy 226. This trailhead is always super busy so watch out for people riding around in circles right in front of the trail entrance as they wait for their buddies to rebuild their bikes from scratch. Look both ways for Subaru's racing each other down 226 and when it's safe, cross the road to the start of Maples/Green Pond trail.

You'll notice more aspens and pines on Green Pond. A few more loose rocks than Middle Fork. Getting very close to Snowbasin ski resort.

When you travel on Maples through Snowbasin, you'll blink in and out of the trees as you pass each ski run. It's kind of like Midmountain in Park City but with much less traffic.

At the end of Maples, there will be a gravel road heading north toward Sardine Peak. Most of the time you can fly down this road but watch out for horses and their excrement. About half a mile down the road there is a fork on the right to head back to Wheeler Creek. This is your last bailout option before heading up Sardine.

Climb climb climb away up to the Canyon Overlook/Sardine Peak junction. The overlook is nice for about 2 seconds then you notice the swarm of bees/wasps/hornets/whatever. Skip this overlook as there is a better one near the top of Sardine.

Canyon Overlook/Sardine Peak junction
    6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!-924005_650846228336538_1438470678_n.jpg

Climb up from the junction through the open area and back into the trees. You'll switch back heading west and when it switch backs to the east again there will be a small trail going straight that takes you to the better overlook. Nice breeze, great views of the canyon and surrounding mountains as well as Ogden and the Great Salt Lake.

Overlook near top of Sardine
    6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!-10358357_714354285294270_909095409_n.jpg

Just another 150 feet or so to the "top". There won't be any great views or anything at the top since it's covered in trees. At the junction, you can go left which leads no where or you can go right to start the epic downhill brah. Drop your seat and make sure your seatbag or camelbak is zipped up. If you leave any trash at the junction, a moose named Karma will be standing in the middle of the trail around a blind corner waiting for you.

The descent down Sardine is fun. But! Braking bumps are really bad right now. And watch out for heaping mounds of poo. Sorry, I really had to go!

At the bottom is a junction with an option to go right(west) back to Snowbasin or left(east) to head back to Wheeler Creek. Eventually you will reach the Icebox Canyon junction where you'll want to go left.

This is my favorite part. Icebox Canyon is lush and serene with plenty of shade. You'll quickly realize why it's named Icebox. There are three areas of concern (for me at least) on this trail. First, near the top, there is a steep section littered with boulders and a sharp right turn at the bottom. Second, there is another super steep section of smooth trail halfway down with a blind left turn at the bottom. Don't get caught by surprise with someone coming up that section or being just around the corner at the bottom. Third, there will be groups of hikers or a crazy MTBer coming up the trail, so ride in control and imagine there is someone around every corner. Oh yea, and off-leash dogs running around in and out of the creek over-excitedly and inattentively.

Icebox Canyon
    6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!-10413031_245532575638817_1509386449_n.jpg

Made it through Icebox alive? Great! Now for the last mile of Wheeler Creek back to the trailhead. Watch your speed because hikers will stop and stand on the edge of the road for no reason and try to burn a hole through your soul with their scowls. Off-leash dogs apply here too. You're almost there champ!

So you made it back to the trailhead. Good job. Hopefully you parked in a spot where you can get out because by this time the lot is full and you'll need to Jenga your way outta here. Wait for the guy with the giant Dodge Dually Diesel and trailer to back up 17 times and make a 42 point turn to get out of there before you try to make your escape. If you parked out by the road, have fun backing up into the highway.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!-10520250_281005962101584_1730893349_n.jpg  

The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    yep, lots of options to make various loops at the Snowbasin area, East fork was all single track when I rode it last didn't think it was bad at all, middle fork will provide a nice ripping descent halfway through the ride. If you go there mid week you can avoid crowds.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Man that was one of the nicest write-ups I've read in a while!!! So in general, watch out for other users and specially poo, yours included!!

Hmmm... Karma the Moose, that would make a nice t-shirt....

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just based on dgw2jr's write up, I'm doing #6 next weekend!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    yep, lots of options to make various loops at the Snowbasin area, East fork was all single track when I rode it last didn't think it was bad at all, middle fork will provide a nice ripping descent halfway through the ride. If you go there mid week you can avoid crowds.
    Yep. East fork is still the nicest option to Green Pond 😀

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    So that is where we are going next weekend?!!
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

Perpetual n00b

Re: 6 days @ Park City, What would you must ride!!

Man that was one of the nicest write-ups I've read in a while!!! So in general, watch out for other users and specially poo, yours included!!

Hmmm... Karma the Moose, that would make a nice t-shirt....

Thanks for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    So that is where we are going next weekend?!!
    Hot damn maybe I should have gone into marketing

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    If you want views and variety and you don't mind driving for a few of these rides each one of these will provide you with some outstanding views and a completley different experience. I would consider any one of these as a must do classic Utah ride.

1. Wasatch Crest...Start at Guardsmans Pass go down into Mill Creek to Big water to road to Pipeline

2. PC Ride...Jennis >Mid Mountain> Tommy Two Step> Three Candles> Keystone> Shadow Lake Loop> Wasatch Crest Conn> Puke Hill >Pinecone> Mid Mountain> Spiro

3. Salt Lake Valley Ride...Park at popperton park, ride up to Dry Creek TH on road/bike path. Dry Creek>BST>Bobsled

4. American Fork Ride(just over an hour from PC)...Pedal up Lame Horse (starts out rocky but gets better)>Horse Flat>Snow Gauging>Slamander Flat(out n back)>over to Willow Hollow>157>South Fork Little Deer creek>LameHorse...Lots of options for rides in American fork, probably the most scenic area for mountain biking

5. Shuttle Little Cottonwood Canyon quarry trail from Tanners Campground...classic, feels like your riding in the PNW

7. South of Provo (Payson) about an 1:45ish from PC...Blackhawk>Nebo Loop Rd>Lizard Lake>Rock Spring 123

make sure you get a good map. so many more options up in PC too if you plan on sticking around there more.

also check out:
    The Skid Map
    Rode #2 yesterday, but included the Crest to Robs-great ride. The basin (#6) ride is a regular also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi Everyone,

Lot's a great info!!

I didn't want to start a separate thread..... I also will be staying in Park City for 6 days. I arrive on the 8/19 and plan to ride the 20th-23rd.

I'm staying in Deer Valley and have some questions of my own;

Which of the above mentioned rides are most accessible from deer valley by bike?

Do you have a recommended shop for rentals? It will cost me over $300 to bring my bike on the plane so I'm leaning towards renting.

Is the DH in Deer Valley worth a dedicated day and DH bike?

Do you think renting a car is necessary for getting around and going out at night? Or are cabs readily available and inexpensive??

Thanks so much. Can't wait to get out there!

Frame Building Moderator
    -All of them are accessible by bike from DV with no problems. DV is right next to PCMR (like, they literally abut each other). You will just be starting rides from the south end of the basin rather than a couple miles further north.

-I think any decent rental is going to set you back more than $300 for the week but I could be wrong. Jan's/Cole Sport both have rentals. Call around and see what you find.

-IMO, DV is not worth renting a DH bike or a full day of riding the lift.

-You do not need a car unless you want to go into SLC. All of the bars/restaurants/stores are within a few miles, and there is a free bus system that goes anywhere in the area.

-Walt

Singletrack Addict!!!
    What do you guys think of these two routes?

Guardsman’s Pass, headed up the Jupiter Peak Road, down Dead Tree to Apex, Keystone, Webster Road, Link trail, to the Mid Mountain trail, to Empire Link, Daly Grind road, Prospect Ridge trail, down into Old Town

Corvair, to TG, to Payroll, to Mid Mountain, to Crescent Mine Grade, to Eagle, to Spiro, and then back into town.

Hey dmar, other than Guardsman, can any of the other rides be shuttled? We'll have two vehicles and we'd like to cover as many singletrack as possible.
    Last edited by Relayden; 08-02-2014 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    -All of them are accessible by bike from DV with no problems. DV is right next to PCMR (like, they literally abut each other). You will just be starting rides from the south end of the basin rather than a couple miles further north.

-I think any decent rental is going to set you back more than $300 for the week but I could be wrong. Jan's/Cole Sport both have rentals. Call around and see what you find.

-IMO, DV is not worth renting a DH bike or a full day of riding the lift.

-You do not need a car unless you want to go into SLC. All of the bars/restaurants/stores are within a few miles, and there is a free bus system that goes anywhere in the area.

-Walt
    Walt thanks so much for the info.

I'm only going to ride for 3 of the days I'll be out there so renting might be the way to go. Still debating

Good to know I won't need a car. That helps keep the costs down a ton.

If anyone is around that week and wants to show this east coaster the way around out there lunch is on me after the ride... Just PM me.

Thanks again

Frame Building Moderator
    You can shuttle on the bus to Empire and ride some fun stuff back to town. Short shuttle, but fun and you don't have to have a driver.

You can drive up Bear Hollow and shuttle some (Rosebud's, UOP) short descents. But they are very XC trails and not long runs.

Mormon pioneer can be shuttled but it's an XC ride and most people would feel pretty lame shuttling it I think.

That's all that comes to mind. There are lots of variations off Guardsman if you're into shuttling so if that's what you want to do, that's where I'd go. Try the bus shuttle, though, at least once.

FITnj, drop me a line when you're here. I have a newborn in the house so my schedule is pretty random but I can riding during the day/mornings.

-Walt

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Hey guys, is driving 4 hours to Thunder Mountain worth the drive?

mtbr member
    Not for just one ride but it is definitely a bucket list type ride, especially if you combine it with Cassidy and/or Losee trails. By itself, it's a 14 mile loop with half on pavement and 7 miles point to point.

Monsoon thunderstorms have hit the area the last two days and this weekend is supposed to be wet. It's not the type of mud to trifle with so keep an eye on the sky.

Perpetual n00b

Nah. Not when you can get to Goodwater Canyon in only 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So me and Flash29r did #6 this morning. Nice ride, but I underestimated the amount of climbing. We logged 3400' of climbing and 20 miles doing the big loop from Pineview (bottom of Wheeler Creek). Loved Icebox! I wish there was a way to do it and avoid Wheeler Creek, the gravel road is just no fun and made the ride really long. I was very tired by the end of the ride.

But was a great ride, and incredible views at several spots.

Perpetual n00b

So me and Flash29r did #6 this morning. Nice ride, but I underestimated the amount of climbing. We logged 3400' of climbing and 20 miles doing the big loop from Pineview (bottom of Wheeler Creek). Loved Icebox! I wish there was a way to do it and avoid Wheeler Creek, the gravel road is just no fun and made the ride really long. I was very tired by the end of the ride.

But was a great ride, and incredible views at several spots.
    Nice! I owe my legs and lungs to Wheeler Creek so I can't complain about it. How was the traffic?

My next recommendation would be Green canyon in Logan. 8 miles out and back with 1100 feet of gain. No traffic. Lots of berms!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    We started at 7:15am, and finished at 11:15. 4 hours out, 3 hours moving (by Garmin's calculation), but I'm the slow one.

We didn't see anyone until we were half way up Sardine Peak. Going down we passed a bunch of climbers. Traffic was not bad at all, but not uncommon for a Sunday in Utah. The parking lot was packed when we got back.

Logan is too far for us for just an 8mi ride, we are from Cottonwood Heights. I want to check out American Fork trails, but I haven't ridden them since 99'. They used to be in pretty bad shape from the horses and motorcycles. I don't know about now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I wish there was a way to do it and avoid Wheeler Creek, the gravel road is just no fun and made the ride really long. I was very tired by the end of the ride.
    You can cut out most of Wheeler. Start at Art Nord and climb East Fork. Do the whole loop, end on Icebox. Then all that's left is a short climb up the top part of wheeler back to Art Nord.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    FITnj, drop me a line when you're here. I have a newborn in the house so my schedule is pretty random but I can riding during the day/mornings.

-Walt[/QUOTE]

Hi Walt,

I'm in town and looking get out on the trails Thurs and Fri morning if you're available. I know the weather is looking iffy....But I'm hopeful.

Pm me if you're around. Thanks Again

mtbr member
    I'd also like to thank the folks who replied here with route info. I'm going to be out there next week (8/25-8/28) from the east coast. Also, as mentioned above, if anyone is interested in showing two lowlanders around we would also love to provide lunch and maybe a cold one or two!
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bye View Post
    I'd also like to thank the folks who replied here with route info. I'm going to be out there next week (8/25-8/28) from the east coast. Also, as mentioned above, if anyone is interested in showing two lowlanders around we would also love to provide lunch and maybe a cold one or two!
    You guys picked the right week to get out here! Weather is looking like it will be much better for you next week.

This east coaster hoping to get maybe 2 rides in for the whole trip this week.

mtbr member
    Just luck of the draw, you know. I've been afraid to look ahead to see what the weather is going to be because we're fully committed to going either way! Hopefully you were able to enjoy what you got in though
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

Frame Building Moderator
    Email me, FITnj - I don't use the PM system here. I will be doing a fun ride tomorrow early afternoon if the weather holds up and you're welcome to join me. Friday is up in the air but I might be able to sneak out too.

-Walt