5 Mile Pass Pre-Ride- Mtbr.com
    Narfler of the Garthok

5 Mile Pass Pre-Ride

Late notice, but I'm going to pre-ride the 5-Mile Pass race course tomorrow. I'm thinking early (the time of the morning that Friday night starts to wear off) before the ATVs get there. I'm thinking 3-4 laps. Will probably do it again next weekend 4/24 as well.

mtbr member
    So are you just telling us that you are? Or were you inviting anyone that wants to join? Have fun!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Narfler of the Garthok
    It was an invitation. Bad wording on my part. I didn't really know exactly when Friday night was going to work its way out of my system so I couldn't post a time. But, having just ridden it I can happily say I will never be riding there ever again. Not even for the race. That was far and beyond the worst "race course" I've ridden in the 12 years I've been riding and racing.

Good thing is that it looks great for 4-wheeling, so I might do that some time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    5 mile pass BLOWS for riding a bike, it is not really even fun on a moto. It is really just a place for all the quadtards to go have a beer and fortunately not stray more than a mile or two from their car.

Narfler of the Garthok
    That was sort of the feeling I walked away from the place with.

Feb 2009
    I have ridden my dirt bike (KTM 2-stroke) many times at 5 Mile Pass and like it just fine. Both north and south of the highway offer a lot of riding opportunities. I especially like going way up in the mountains on the north side. And, yes, it's very rocky in most places, but I like that too. It's great rock riding practice. Once you're comfortable blasting over the trails at 5 Mile Pass, rocks anywhere else just never bother you.

mtbr member
    I'm heading out there Saturday 4/25 to pre ride. Now I'm all nervous about the course sucking ass. I pre-registered for the race, so all I can do is hope it's tolerable.

Narfler of the Garthok
    If you like 6 foot wide rocky and sandy ATV roads, one or two unclimbable ascents (especially SS), gravel roads and nearly getting hit by dirt bikes, you'll love it. I assume the dirt bikes will be off the course on race day. I'm not going to give the IM Cup my $30 for this one, I won't have any fun. Some people might and I don't want to discourage them, it's just not my thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for posting the info on this course. I was planning on racing there (my 1st race in the IM Cup). Wanted to know some more about your issues with course...is it mostly dirt/sandy roads? How is the climbing overall? How are those rocks? are we talking loose rocks here and there or rock gardens?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip
    Thanks for posting the info on this course. I was planning on racing there (my 1st race in the IM Cup). Wanted to know some more about your issues with course...is it mostly dirt/sandy roads? How is the climbing overall? How are those rocks? are we talking loose rocks here and there or rock gardens?
    I've raced there a couple of times.

It's pretty much all 4 wheeler trails. The only sandy part that was part of the race course is a hike-a-bike hill that you wouldn't be able to ride up anyway. There's only 1 unridable hill on the course.

There's one section that's a lot of fun 'cause it's in a gully and you can really get some speed using the walls of the gully to keep you in control as you take the corners at speed.

If you like only racing on singletrack this isn't the course for you.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It does have a few hills. The first section of the course is a gradually uphill with parts of flat and downs but it does have a series of short hills that you'll want to attack. The 2nd half is mainly a gradual downhill but does have 1 or 2 climbs on it if I remember correctly.

It's not overly rocky but it's not smooth dirt roads either. Not too technical. It's the type of trail that a road rider could do well on.

Narfler of the Garthok
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane
    It does have a few hills. The first section of the course is a gradually uphill with parts of flat and downs but it does have a series of short hills that you'll want to attack. The 2nd half is mainly a gradual downhill but does have 1 or 2 climbs on it if I remember correctly.

It's not overly rocky but it's not smooth dirt roads either. Not too technical. It's the type of trail that a road rider could do well on.
    All correct. There is one unrideable climb, and one I couldn't do because I suck at ride bike. The rest are doable. Like I said, if racing on gravel roads is your thing, you'll love it. I'd consider doing it on a cross bike with some fat tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the additional info. So what type of tires woudl be best suited for this. Based on the initial description i though grip/traction would take priority over rolling resistance, but it sounds like fast rolling tires maybe more suitable for all these long fast gravel road sections.

Narfler of the Garthok
    I used Crossmarks and they hooked up fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the additional info. So what type of tires woudl be best suited for this. Based on the initial description i though grip/traction would take priority over rolling resistance, but it sounds like fast rolling tires maybe more suitable for all these long fast gravel road sections.
    Whatever your favorite hardpack tire is. There's some loose sections toward the end of the loop but it's mainily hardpack.

mtbr member
    The course isn't that bad. If you do pre ride, you will have to put up with the ATVs and motorcycles, but even then it's not that bad. In years past, they have closed it to all traffic except bikes on race day, so no worries there.

As others have said, the riding there isn't world class singletrack. It's just dusty ATV double track most of the time. I will still be racing there cause someone has to keep all the other mid pack sport riders company!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Members who have read this thread: 0