5 days in Moab- Mtbr.com

Thread: 5 days in Moab

Controlled panic

5 days in Moab

Going to Moab for the first time for 5 days in september going to ride 2 days road and 3 mountain we are pretty good riders and former expert class racers can anyone recomend 3 great trails ( not including Slickrock ) we don't mind riding from town for extra credit . thanks Kevin949

Jun 2005

Moab is closed in September

Here are some that I like

Amassa back. Fun trail close to town.

Porcupine Rim. Holy Crap don't go right.

Soverign - Fun 2nd ride of the day

La Salle loop - Road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Ok

The road rides are easy. La Sal Loop Road, and Arches NP. If you want a longer ride than a tough 50 on the Arches day, you add in out/back on the Potash Road. If you were doing a third day on the road, 313 to Deadhorse Point and Canyonlands.

Mountain days: Porcupine is a must. Poison Spider to Gold Bar Rim, or Hurrah/Jackson's Hole/Jacob's Ladder/Amasa Back. Or Sovereign Trail plus some play time at Bartlett Wash.
    If you want a real epic day, in September you can proabably still do Burro Pass down to the Loop road, then over to Kokopelli, then to Porcupine. Or, Pritchett Canyon or Flat Pass.

Aug 2005

Idea! Agent Utah

that amasa back ride looks cool. also, klondike bluffs looks like a good (easy) after-the-road-ride ride. the 65 mile road route in the lasal mountains (especially the descent!) looks like a must... the "century" option route travels up the canyon along the colorado river to the historic dewey bridge as a turn around point.

mtbr member

Great Trip!

The only ride I do every time I visit Moab is Amasa Back. The changes they made to the trail were frustrating, but it still rocks and is the best quick ride in Moab.

Porcupine Rim is a riot but always chews up a bike of someone in our group.

Flat pass requires a shuttle, but I would much prefer flat pass to sovereign singletrack. It is a great mix of slick rock, single track, big drops and technical ups and downs. Check out utahmountainbiking.com for directions.

Slickrock at night is the way to go. Whether the practice loop or the whole thing, it is a great way to get that classic ride in and still keep your adrenaline pumping. We go without lights by the light of the moon.

Poison spider is a great ride, but is better just after a rainstorm when the sand has been tamed. I prefer an out and back so you can bomb down all the technical uphill you conquer.

I rode my road bike along the colorado river into castle valley and it was beautiful. However, after just having bought a new stumpy 120 I prefer to ride mountain while in Moab.

Just a few ideas...

Have a great trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Flat Pass

Flat Pass only requires 9 miles of easy pavement to connect the two ends. Not really worth a shuttle. The ride to the south end is a nice warmup. Park at the intersection of Spanish Trail and Spanish Valley Road, and it is 7 miles at the beginning and a 2 mile mostly downhill coast at the end. Or, just ride from town, which is only two more miles on each end.

Jul 2005

Jughandle Loop! Jughandle Loop!

Find it in the guidebooks. Do it clockwise. Dirt, road, great overlooks, and a close-up of the potash evapoartion pools! You "get" to climb the Shaffer Switchbacks, but as a reward you descend Pucker Pass to your waiting car. It's a good, long ride that you'll talk about for years. Let me know if you do it! [email protected]