5 days alone in Moab- what to do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

5 days alone in Moab- what to do?

I'm coming from Atlanta and want to stay to ride for 4-7 days. I'm pretty comfortable with the risks of riding solo, except for getting lost there in the desert. So which trails will I be able to ride solo with a map and which would require a guide (I don't mind forking out for a guide for one or two of the days)? I'm looking at hitting Slickrock, Porcupine/LPS, Sovereign, and Amasa/Jacksons so far, but nothing is set yet. I'm open to ideas for other must-ride trails.

My usual rides here are about 15-18 miles in 2-2&1/2 hours with a 5-minute break in there. If any of those trails are out of my league as far as conditioning, let me know.

Will I need to make hotel or shuttle or reservations in advance or can I just roll into town and wing it? Who's the best guide service?

Fartographer
    Sovereign is good for solo riding. The others would make me nervous. But I haven't ridden Moab that much. If I were you, I'd go to a bike shop and just see if anyone would take me for a ride. Sometimes that works great. I like Chile Pepper bike shop. They're pretty mellow.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looks good

I do most of my riding alone so it also does not bother me.All those trails are relitivly well marked. Porcupine loop is definitly longer then the rest if you dont use a shuttle. What time of year are you going. If you are headed there soon it will be hot(I guess being from hotlatna you are not to worried.) but there is very little to no shade. I also like flat pass. You do have to ride on the road for 5 miles but its a great ride(dont let the name fool ya). Also Bartlett wash is a must do if you have never been to moab. its slick rock riding at its best. Its also a good place to hang and ride in the evening durring sunset. I dont think shuttle reservations need to be made in advanced for porc(why pay money when you can ride up the road). Depending on the time of year hotel reservations might be prudent. If you are there for 7 days rent a car and head to fruita. The trails there are very different and many would say better. Where are you going to fly into??. The closest major airport is Grand Junction which is right next to fruita(and has some dam fine riding there too). Have fun its all good there.
    BSG

Fartographer

Too Much

Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    why pay money when you can ride up the road?
    Because that's a long-ass climb and you might as well save your energy to make the downhill more fun. At least that's what I think. I know there are plenty of people who climb it. Oh yeah, I would also want to ride it on a big bike. That's another good reason not to climb it. But to each their own.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've shown up twice at Poisen Spider on a Saturday morning and been able to catch their Hazard County/Porcupine Rim shuttle without a reservation. If you do that ride you would probably want to hang with someone who's done it before because there's a couple spots up top where you need to know where to turn. I think most of the rides you mention you will see people on. I think Amassa Back and SlickRock you wouldn't have any problems with route finding. You might want to check on a hotel before you get there though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the great info. I'll be driving out in late Sept after hitting Taos on the way out. I was definitely thinking of Fruita and will have time for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You can't get lost on the trails in Moab

I say that because I've never been lost. Of course, I've never ridden Gold Bar and I sure as shite would get somebody who's done it before to guide me! Porc? Can't get lost. Sovereign? Wait till the next rider comes by and follow them. Amasa? Same thing. Finally a post by someone who's a noob to Moab who isn't coming out in July. Late September is when I go and this will be my (I'm guessing) 40th time. You will love it.

And: get the two Latitude 40 maps--Moab East and Moab West. There are others, but if you've studied these before you go you will have a very good idea of the trail system.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I say that because I've never been lost.
    Of course you CAN get lost, and some people have proven it by dying.

That said, there are plenty of trails you can ride where it's unlikely that you'll get lost - especially if you invest in a decent guide book and have a well-calibrated cycle computer, or better yet, a GPS. utahmountainbiking.com has lots of trail guides with gps coordinates.

I'd feel quite comfortable on Slickrock alone. Unless you're pushing the boundaries of daylight, there are usually plenty of other people out there. My only concern there would be one intersection at the far end that is not marked, but pretty much the whole route is marked with paint spots.

Bartlett Wash would be very hard to get lost on, and there will probably be other riders.

Amasa Back - easy route as long as you stick to the main out and back - and other riders there also.

Easy ride - Klondike Bluffs. Fun, and hard to get lost.

Porcupine Rim - a must do. As long as you pay attention to the directions, you'll be OK.

Flat Pass - also, as long as you follow the directions you'll be fine. Also a very fun trail.

I would say a bigger concern, on all these trails, would be getting hurt and laying there until someone comes along to find you. Still, that wouldn't stop me from doing them alone, and it's likely you'll find a group you can tag along with if you ask.

Shattering Glass
    You'd be crazy not to ride in fruita after Moab. 18 road then kokopellis. Maybe the western rim/zion curtain trails one day.

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I say that because I've never been lost.

I bet that GCSAR disagrees with you:
    http://www.gcsar.org/statistics/statistics.htm

Most SAR incidents involve MTB'rs, most SAR incidents are searches and most incidents are on Slickrock. "Silt Happens" is a fascinating blog, BTW - those rescue people have a dry sense of humor.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Be careful on Amasa/Jacksons. Lots of techie moves and crazy exposure (even more so than the singletrack on Porc Rim).

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunaphile
    ...I'm looking at hitting Slickrock, Porcupine/LPS, Sovereign, and Amasa/Jacksons so far, but nothing is set yet. I'm open to ideas for other must-ride trails.
    Pretty much you named all. Add Fisher Mesa for great out & back UPS/LPS like singletrack. Not techy at all but schweet!

Set aside 2 days for FU riding at Bookcliff and Kokopelli side. Hit Fisher Mesa on the way to FU or coming back to Moab.
    sth

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hikin' Boots

If you can make the time get up to nearby Arches National Park and do a late afternoon hike to Delicate Arch- being there for sunset is out of this world! Bring a couple good flashlights for the trek back after dark, just in case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    You'd be crazy not to ride in fruita after Moab. 18 road then kokopellis. Maybe the western rim/zion curtain trails one day.
    ....Agreed. If you're coming all the way from GA you have to hit the 18rd trails in Fruita. Almost impossible to get lost there, easy camping, plus the place empties out on a sunday night. What else? Oh yeah, it's FUN.

Members who have read this thread: 0