4th Trip to Moab - What rides should I do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

4th Trip to Moab - What rides should I do?

Hi,

This week will be my 4th trip to Moab. I have done the following trails:

Sovereign Singletrack - Saltwash
    Hazard Country-Koko-UPS-LPS-PPR
    Slickrock
    Bartlett Wash
    Baby Steps
    Amasaback

Any rides that I am missing out on? I am down for 4 days this year. Plan on doing The Whole Enchilada, Sovereign, and Amasaback right now.

I have a crew of 4 who are all strong riders. 5-6" travel bikes. Not looking for a death march for 8 hours. We like to climb but also rip the descents.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Add Rockstacker and Jackson's to the Amasa descent. That's a fun alternative.

Wish Dot was open. Blue Dot to Portal is one of my favorite (charted) Moab rides.

Have fun, man.

KRob------->Pinning for Moab.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    So I've heard rumors that Blue Dot is going to be made a legal trail......any recent info?

Really I am that slow
    drive 4 more hours to stg/hurricane
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

should know better.....
    You've hit a lot of good stuff, and the additions look good so far.
    If you haven't hit Fruita yet, then take one day, and drive north for 1 1/2 hours, stop at Kokapelli trailhead, go in and ride Mary's to Horsethief, back onto Mary's to Moore fun. Get back to the car, then shoot up to 18 road for some end of the day flowy runs with easy pedaling, great sunset and dusk lighting. Drive back to Moab. Yum.
    I've hit both locations, while based at one of them, numerous times. Add to the fact that the river road, (rt 128) is one of the most spectacular drives around, and it's a great day.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    If you haven't hit Fruita yet, then take one day, and drive north for 1 1/2 hours, stop at Kokapelli trailhead, go in and ride Mary's to Horsethief, back onto Mary's to Moore fun. Get back to the car, then shoot up to 18 road for some end of the day flowy runs with easy pedaling, great sunset and dusk lighting. Drive back to Moab. Yum.
    I've hit both locations, while based at one of them, numerous times. Add to the fact that the river road, (rt 128) is one of the most spectacular drives around, and it's a great day.
    Agreed, Grand Junction has great riding as well.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    ummm....ya, *exactly* what he said!

+1 for the Grand Junction Lunch Loops as well.

I just returned from that area - went out with 8 other riders.
    We started in Moab with:
    -Bartlett's Wash & Amasa Back the first day
    -The Whole Enchilada (got hailed on twice and fought 55mph gusts and rain on the ride back to town)
    -Sovereign (got hailed on *again* and headed to Fruita)

At Fruita we hit up Over the Edge Sports and was recommened this route at the Kokopelli Trails:
    -past the main parking lot at the Loma Exit and up the road to the next parking lot. Climb up Moore Fun and descend down to Mary's. Drop down to Horsethief and hook back up with Mary's. Shoot off and hit Steve's which hooks back up with Mary's and we're back at the parking lot. About 20 miles of awesomeness!

Then....we hit 18 Road!

Oh, and don't forget to stop at the Hot Tomato in Fruita and get the best calzone you'll ever eat - at least that's what you'll think after a long day of riding!

Hope that helps man!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you haven't been to Fruita and Grand Junction you should cut Moab short and head over there, it's only 1.5hrs away. The last couple years I've been riding Moab less and less and Fruita/GJ more and more.

Fruita:
    18 Road Zippity Doo Dah, Kessle Run, etc
    Kokopelli: Horsetheif is just plain fun!

Grand Junction:
    Lunch Loops (The Ribbon, Holy Cross, etc...)

If you haven't been, you're really missing out!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Burro pass down

Whole Enchilada is awesome! I also love Slick Rock Trail. I could do both those rides each day and be a happy guy. By the way, I have been to St George a lot and ridden just about every trail there and Moab absolutely destroys it from purely a riding perspective. The trails are incredible!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Whole Enchilada is awesome! I also love Slick Rock Trail. I could do both those rides each day and be a happy guy. By the way, I have been to St George a lot and ridden just about every trail there and Moab absolutely destroys it from purely a riding perspective. The trails are incredible!

dunno what your smoking?? i think differently.... sure we dont have a crazy shuttle ride but i think the slickrock (gooseberry, little creek) has alot more flow....

could be i'm bored with moab and sharing trail (roads)with jeepers and moto's
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    drive 4 more hours to stg/hurricane

What he said....

Gooseberry, Little Creek, etc..etc...
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

another moab suggestion

Poison Spider Mesa to the Portal trail is a nice ride with great views.

Gemini Bridges linked up with Little Canyon Rim has great views and some nice sustained riding on slick rock

A book recommended Flat Pass...I thought it was l
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone. Just got back and we had a great time. We did the Whole Enchilada the first day. First time for me doing Burro. Awesome ride with blue bird skys. We also hit Amasaback with the lookout and Rockstacker. Sovereign was our third day and Babysteps/Klondike Bluffs on the forth. My brother broke his elbow on the second day, so we did not travel to Fruita (we rode there two years ago...great singletrack). Next year we're thinking St. George instead of Moab to mix it up. Ride safe...ride often!

mtbr member
    dunno what your smoking?? i think differently.... sure we dont have a crazy shuttle ride but i think the slickrock (gooseberry, little creek) has alot more flow....

Sooo much slickrock in Moab....hard to beat it. We will be coming your way next spring though, looking forward to checking out the trails there. The beauty of Moab is the rock and there are so many routes there that don't have paint on them....even the famous Slickrock trail has a lot more to offer than the painted line.

Just did a ride there last week all rock for 5 hours and didn't see anyone else.

code: mtbr2011
    just got back from riding bar m, rockin a, and circle o loops...really fun stuff, and surprisingly grippy even in the rain.
    road out was a little sloppy, but the rest of the trail is really fun on all that rock. nothing really that technical....a couple of moves.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

In the eye of the beholder

But Moab is so much better!!!! The Whole Enchilada is incredible and Slick Rock Trail destroys Gooseberry (all slick rock with a tiny bit of sand). Moab has so many ride you can go dizzy riding them..and fairly close by is Fruita (another awesome place to ride). A guy can hammer out almost every ride in SW Utah in a week of riding. The best part of SW Utah is the very mild climate and I like St George a lot. Springdale reminds me of Moab a lot (both are cluster f*ck towns).

The shuttle ride is absolutely incredible!!! Porcupine Rim is the best ride I have ever done...awesome!!!!!!

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    But Moab is so much better!!!! The Whole Enchilada is incredible and Slick Rock Trail destroys Gooseberry (all slick rock with a tiny bit of sand). Moab has so many ride you can go dizzy riding them..and fairly close by is Fruita (another awesome place to ride). A guy can hammer out almost every ride in SW Utah in a week of riding. The best part of SW Utah is the very mild climate and I like St George a lot. Springdale reminds me of Moab a lot (both are cluster f*ck towns).

The shuttle ride is absolutely incredible!!! Porcupine Rim is the best ride I have ever done...awesome!!!!!!
    Been to Moab and enjoyed a few trails and hated a few too so I'm on train with you about "The Whole Enchilada" It's just simply amazing! Wish I could ride that daily. However, saying the slickrock trail is better let alone saying it "destroys" gooseberry mesa made me feel concerned for the current state of mind your in and health and safety of family and friends around you. I'm all for freedom of speech and respecting peoples opinions but that's crazy talk now. Yellow Journalism.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Slickrock for me is a ride that you have to do at least once in you MTB career. After that, if kinda feels like a death march. I've ridden it 3 times (twice the "hard way" and once the other way - both felt the same to me. No dabs, climbed everything.) Once you get over the cool factor of climbing super steep walls, well...thats about it. I check out and find it boring. There are way better rides in Moab, Fruita, etc. to hit. Can't even compare it to The Whole Enchilada or Amasaback. To each their own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy67
    Slickrock for me is a ride that you have to do at least once in you MTB career. After that, if kinda feels like a death march. I've ridden it 3 times (twice the "hard way" and once the other way - both felt the same to me. No dabs, climbed everything.) Once you get over the cool factor of climbing super steep walls, well...thats about it. I check out and find it boring. There are way better rides in Moab, Fruita, etc. to hit. Can't even compare it to The Whole Enchilada or Amasaback. To each their own.
    Try the middle routes.....alot more out there than the main loop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You have hit nearly all the good stuff (that I know of.)

The only one missing is Flat Pass (no idea why it's named as such...) It's got a bit of everything. Steep tech climbs, high speed ledgy descents, fast flowy sections, a few play areas and a couple of sandy areas. Also has a couple of creek crossings followed by sand. This can play hell on your drive-train though so it may be a good idea to save it for the last ride of the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Steadyflow is totally wrong.

Definitely not much going on around the Slickrock trail once you get over the really steep ups. Pretty pedestrian really. . . I wouldn't bother. .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th Trip to Moab - What rides should I do?-matt7mod-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking
    Poison Spider Mesa to the Portal trail is a nice ride with great views.

Gemini Bridges linked up with Little Canyon Rim has great views and some nice sustained riding on slick rock

A book recommended Flat Pass...I thought it was l
    flat pass might be my least favorite moab ride. its considered a moab "classic" but should be avoided given so many other great trails.

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Steadyflow is totally wrong.

Definitely not much going on around the Slickrock trail once you get over the really steep ups. Pretty pedestrian really. . . I wouldn't bother. .
    I think you've done a good job capturing the lack of 'flow' so often mentioned.

I thought about pointing out that the OP has finished their trip, returned home and posted about it three days ago. Considering the original post was asking about rides for said trip. But what fun would that be...

FW

CoolArrow

Gotta agree... Moab is cool, but it is very sensationalized.

Each time I visit Moab, I leave with mixed feelings. Amassa is cool to Pothole Arch, but Rockstacker ? Other than the couple moves on the entry, it left a lot to be desired. (Jackson is sweet though).

Also rode the Enchilada. All the way to LPS was super fun, but wish we would have bailed at Sand Flats road, rather than ride Porcupine Rim to the end. Didn't see what was so great about that trail at all. Glorified Jeep road... Made me appreciate the home trails in Durango even more.

Poison Spider... rode that. Never will again. But it was worth it to get to Portal, Portal was a blast.

Slickrock trail has to be the most overblown trail in the country. I can see the allure if one has not ridden slickrock surfaces before, but really....

Gooseberry - IMO, it contains nearly everything Moab does, only in one trail. Next trip I take out in that direction, we'll skip Moab and either head to Grand Junction for Lunch Loops, or jet out to ST. George to hit Goose again, Bearclaw Poppy, Thunder Mountain, and maybe check some of that stuff out in Virgin... My 2 cents anyhow
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Just got back from a week there as well. Also recognize this is info after the fact for the OP but partly subscribing for info on future trips back.

Pretty much did the same rides mentioned here. For rides we did do, I really didn't care for Flat Pass despite the recommendations it got from a couple of locals working in the bike shops but thankful for the info and great service they provide there.

Really enjoyed Amasa Back and can see some of the allure in Flat Pass for similar reasons but somehow I just didn't see Flat Pass measuring up to Amasa Back in terms of fun factor. Plenty of technical climbing challenge so if you like that, it's probably a good one but it seemed like there wasn't enough payoff after the climbing. Also got lost a bit on that one so perhaps that soured me a bit. Looked like someone intentionally knocked down the sign at the junction with Steelbender and we ended up doing a bunch of extra climbing only to return back to the junction when we realized we were going the wrong way.

Hazard to Porcupine was definitely a rip. Not sure about the comment posted earlier suggesting that porcupine rim is jeep track. We finished out to the road on singletrack and it was a lot of fun.

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    ...Hazard to Porcupine was definitely a rip. Not sure about the comment posted earlier suggesting that porcupine rim is jeep track. We finished out to the road on singletrack and it was a lot of fun.
    True, Porcupine does finish up on some singletrack, and the exposed section is pretty cool, I really dug that part a lot. However, from where Sand Flats sort of intersects, to just before the exposed singletrack, it is pretty wide "trail" - definitely not singletrack. Was not fond of that part at all, not sure I'd ride that again.

Not my photo, but it illustrates the area I was referring to as "jeep road":

Just didn't think this measured up to the first half of the trail, and we can ride this type of terrain at home for the most part (albeit in smaller stretches).

To each their own - just my impression. Had a blast that day, hard to beat the ride down Hazard, Koko., UPS and LPS.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard
    True, Porcupine does finish up on some singletrack, and the exposed section is pretty cool, I really dug that part a lot. However, from where Sand Flats sort of intersects, to just before the exposed singletrack, it is pretty wide "trail" - definitely not singletrack. Was not fond of that part at all, not sure I'd ride that again.
    Are you referring to the Kokopelli from Sand Flats to UPS? it is definitely double track there but I love that section as it is fast and flowy and you generally have to pass a bunch of people as they take the main line and you rip by on the rough lines.

The "main" line on much of the double track always feels like single track anyway (at least to me) on the downhill sections. The section across the rim of Porcupine is a grind on double track but it takes you to the fun stuff that for me starts as you descend to the diving board and onto the single track to finish.

I see the double track across the rim as a necessary evil to link some amazing riding of Hazard > Kokopelli > UPS > LPS > necessary evil with some fun fast down hill sections > great downhill that ends with a couple of mile of single track on the side of a canyon.

I do Porcupine 4-6 times each season (spring/fall).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I see the double track across the rim as a necessary evil to link some amazing riding of Hazard > Kokopelli > UPS > LPS > necessary evil with some fun fast down hill sections > great downhill that ends with a couple of mile of single track on the side of a canyon.
    Yeah, that's my least favorite section of the whole burro down ride (other than the climb to the pass). No, it's not singletrack, but I think it still is pretty fun hittin' those choppy steps and alternate lines on that section. It really tests the suspension and makes me glad I have a burly 6" bike under me (although I had fun picking my way through that junk on my 4" XC rig a couple of years ago too).

There are several drop options just off the side of the trail/jeep road that you need to watch for too.(These images are all taken along that "boring" middle jeep road section)

And that final 2 miles of singletrack along the cliff edge down to the river is some of my favorite Moab trail.

In the end that, section alone makes it better than just riding down Sand Flat road. imho.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Reading this thread just became entirely useful. ^^^^

I am totally running a "Hello my name is:" tag next time down Porcupine!

The .05 percent
    Might be going up to Moab this weekend, How much of the Enchilada is still passable?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for so many good responses to this post. We are planning our '11 trip and think we will pass on Moab and hit the St. George area. We Canadian's fly into Vegas and the 7 hour drive was getting old + we did Moab for 4 straight years. We want to do some new rides and are getting a good vibe from the info we got for Gooseberry, etc.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I think too many MTBers have this misperception that a trail has to be "singletrack" to be good. Porc rim is some of the best riding on this earth, in part because it is wide enough it offers many different lines. It can be a new ride each time out.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    I think too many MTBers have this misperception that a trail has to be "singletrack" to be good. Porc rim is some of the best riding on this earth, in part because it is wide enough it offers many different lines. It can be a new ride each time out.
    - Could be... or maybe I"m spoiled because I live in the four corners, and have access to many different types of riding in a relatively close area.

Porc rim was fun - once you get to the exposed sections towards the end, but from the end of LPS to that point -it wasn't "all that". Best riding on earth? From Hazard down through UPS and LPS - certainly epic, world class riding. As for the rest of it, just not my cup of tea.

Each time I visit Moab, I seem to have a blast on one trail, and am let down by other "Famous" trails (Poison Spider, Rockstacker, Slickrock). I thought Klondike Bluffs was cooler than most of Porc Rim, save for the end, of course.

Gooseberry is great example of a world class, non singletrack trail that can change up with each ride - imo, much more fun than Porc Rim, with equally stunning viewpoints.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

Members who have read this thread: 0