4 wheeler on Guacamole Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

4 wheeler on Guacamole Trail

Had a great weekend riding in st. george this weekend. On saturday we had Guacamole trail all to ourselves. I've ridden the trail before and was very disapointed to see 4 wheeler (quad) tracks following the majority of the trail. I was actually surprised how far they had driven the quad out on the mesa. There were very tight spots that you could tell they just forced the 4 wheeler through, squeezing between rocks and pushing down bushes. There is damage done and the trail in areas appears quite a bit wider. There has been rain out there recently (on saturday the trail was in great shape, slightly damp in sandy spots) and the tire tracks were fresh. Honestly, I'm just angry about it because it is a beautiful trail and the tracks distracted me the entire ride. I didn't have a camera with me so I can't post any pics. Does anyone have more information about the area, are there any restrictions or ways to perserve the trail?

NOT Team Sanchez
    It would seem that 4 wheelers and neandertals are a package deal..........How dumb/lazy/inconsiderate are you when you force your 4' wide vehicle onto a foot wide singletrack.......This is one exception to my friendly advice rule; I get pretty upset when I catch these types in action. The front side of the GV trail network (Zen, RC, Barrels) is getting chewed up, the once mostly singletrack RC has become mostly double track!!!! Just the other day there was evidence of 4 wheelers riding up the dh portion of the RC which is the uphill portion of the Barrels......I've caught some people in the past on the trail and given them a piece of mind, they were cruising down the hill with one wheel on the trail and the other destroying the surrounding vegetation...in some spots they don't even put on of their tires on the trail and just destroy on either side!! I'm feeling vigilante, look out, I carry a mini pump
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    That sux to hear about a quad being on a single track. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen to hundreds of miles of trails throughout UT. I mostly MTB in the summer, but in the winter I'm often out in the desert on my mx bike. The trails are not MTB friendly (too much sand and steep climbs), but 5 or 6 years ago most were single track. Now they are almost all double track thanks to incredibly inconsiderate Quad riders (they out number off road motorcycles by about 10 to 1). What's even worse is now every lazy @ss is getting those even wider side-by-sides and making quad trails into jeep trails. I just don't get it. If you want to ride technical single track, then buy a single track vehicle. In the areas I ride I don't know if anything can be done as there is no one to enforce a single track only trail.

Your best bet to get it stopped is to get the trail recognized by the Forest Service and have it designated single track. It's probably not easy to do and could take a year or more. There's an area near SLC called American Fork Canyon and they've done a great job labeling single track only trails and seem to keep it enforced. It's not a very big area, but they find a way to blend hiking, biking, horses, mx and quads. Unfortunately its only one area and very popular. I'm not sure how long they will be able to maintain the peace between so many divergent trail users.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    It would seem that 4 wheelers and neandertals are a package deal..........How dumb/lazy/inconsiderate are you when you force your 4' wide vehicle onto a foot wide singletrack.......This is one exception to my friendly advice rule; I get pretty upset when I catch these types in action. The front side of the GV trail network (Zen, RC, Barrels) is getting chewed up, the once mostly singletrack RC has become mostly double track!!!! Just the other day there was evidence of 4 wheelers riding up the dh portion of the RC which is the uphill portion of the Barrels......I've caught some people in the past on the trail and given them a piece of mind, they were cruising down the hill with one wheel on the trail and the other destroying the surrounding vegetation...in some spots they don't even put on of their tires on the trail and just destroy on either side!! I'm feeling vigilante, look out, I carry a mini pump
    Yeah, pre-riding the RC on Friday I noticed four wheeler tracks on the few single track climbs. Too bad.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhb
    Had a great weekend riding in st. george this weekend. On saturday we had Guacamole trail all to ourselves. I've ridden the trail before and was very disapointed to see 4 wheeler (quad) tracks following the majority of the trail. I was actually surprised how far they had driven the quad out on the mesa. There were very tight spots that you could tell they just forced the 4 wheeler through, squeezing between rocks and pushing down bushes. There is damage done and the trail in areas appears quite a bit wider. There has been rain out there recently (on saturday the trail was in great shape, slightly damp in sandy spots) and the tire tracks were fresh. Honestly, I'm just angry about it because it is a beautiful trail and the tracks distracted me the entire ride. I didn't have a camera with me so I can't post any pics. Does anyone have more information about the area, are there any restrictions or ways to perserve the trail?
    I rode Guac on Saturday also. I also noticed that the mentally challenged had been on the trail. Unfortunately, Guac is not an official BLM trail. Therefore, like Little Creek, there aren't any real rules to be enforced.

This winter a major section of The Three Peaks trail was driven over by something much larger than an ATV, probably a rock crawler. That trail is official, but nothing will get done about it. Way too much land area, and virtually no law enforcement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    That sux to hear about a quad being on a single track. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen to hundreds of miles of trails throughout UT. I mostly MTB in the summer, but in the winter I'm often out in the desert on my mx bike. The trails are not MTB friendly (too much sand and steep climbs), but 5 or 6 years ago most were single track. Now they are almost all double track thanks to incredibly inconsiderate Quad riders (they out number off road motorcycles by about 10 to 1). What's even worse is now every lazy @ss is getting those even wider side-by-sides and making quad trails into jeep trails. I just don't get it. If you want to ride technical single track, then buy a single track vehicle. In the areas I ride I don't know if anything can be done as there is no one to enforce a single track only trail.

Your best bet to get it stopped is to get the trail recognized by the Forest Service and have it designated single track. It's probably not easy to do and could take a year or more. There's an area near SLC called American Fork Canyon and they've done a great job labeling single track only trails and seem to keep it enforced. It's not a very big area, but they find a way to blend hiking, biking, horses, mx and quads. Unfortunately its only one area and very popular. I'm not sure how long they will be able to maintain the peace between so many divergent trail users.
    Yeah, I guess the frustrating thing is how often it is happening. I live in SLC now, but previously lived in Flagstaff, AZ (great riding by the way), Colorado, and California. I've been able to ride and live in some great places. If a world class trail like Guac (not the best in so. utah, but compared to other places pretty amazing) was ridden on like that in Colorado or CA, I think riders would be irate. I don't know what the anwer is, it's just sad to see it happening.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    Way too much land area, and virtually no law enforcement.
    you say that as if it is a bad thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0