4 free hours passing thru SLC - Where to Ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

4 free hours passing thru SLC - Where to Ride?

I am going to be driving through SLC on my way to Moab and would like to do a ride in SLC or PC. Basically, I have to do about 8 hours driving in a 12-13 hour time period (have to pick up my wife in Grand Junction in the evening) so I see 4 hours available to get to a trail head, change, do about a 2 hour ride and then get back on the road.

I would like to get a recommendation for a good ride that suits me - my guess is that SLC or Park City would be the best picks. As I mentioned, about a 2-2.5 hour ride - I am a more of a technical XC rider (Whistler style XC with lots of technical) than downhill or pure XC and in decent shape physically. I would like to limit climbs to about 1,000 feet (especially since I am a Clyde and becasue of the altitude there - more gentle climbs are better than steep ones). Anything technical up or down is acceptable, but if the trail drops quickly I would prefer steep descents over drops. One more possible issue - I am planning to come thru on a Saturday (about noon on Sept 29th) so if the trails are crowded with hikers that may be someting to avoid (?).

I look forward to any suggestions - Thanks

Bored Carp
    Got any requirements as to the types of trees on this ride, or the sorts of animals you would or wouldn't like to see? Are you ok with rounded rocks vs. pointy rocks?
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member

You'd be hard pressed...

to do a 2+ hour ride and keep it under 1000 ft. of climbing here in the Wasatch.

mtbr member
    The Ogden area has a couple of rides that are easy access from the freeway.

1. The Ogden Bench (Bonnville Shoreline Trail Ogden) has a trailhead at Rainbow Gardens which is by the mouth of the Canyon at 12 st. Do a google maps search for "Park Blvd and Valley Dr, ogden, ut" and zoom in. This is pretty tame singletrack.

The large white building has a parking lot. The single track leaves from the SouthWest corner of the parking lot.

2. The better singletrack is the Wheeler Creek/Maples Loop system which is further from the freeway, but also easy to get too; probably 10-15 minutes from the freeway. Google Maps to "UT-39 & Ogden Canyon Rd & UT-158
    UT". Zoom in and hybrid and you can see the Trailhead on the South side of UT-39. When driving, the turn off for the parking area will be on the right side 300 meters before the intersection.

This starts as Jeep road, then about a mile up, take the first singletrack to the right. This will be technical for a while, then it will tame out once you get out of that small canyon and hit the open meadows. There will be lots of intersections, so just memorize and do an out and back.

Both trail systems are pretty well marked, and by Utah standards, don't have a lot of climbing.

You can find maps for these at www.utahmountainbiking.com
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 09-21-2007 at 01:14 PM.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    [email protected] is correct; there are very few rides (decent ones) with under 1000 ft. of climbing. If you're going to stop in the SLC area, head up to park city to make it worth your while. The mid mountain trail would be your best bet, especially in the fall. If you're not up for the climb (Spiro), take the lift at PC resort.

Check it out atutahmountainbiking.com

Members who have read this thread: 0