3/27 Amasa Back or Poison Spider? One day only. Please Help!- Mtbr.com
    FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008

New question here. 3/27 Amasa Back or Poison Spider? One day only. Please Help!

I know that this is short notice, but my buddy and I are in Moab today and we want to ride. Orginally, we planned on riding the Porcupine Rim, but heard that its really muddy right now. We've been told that both Amasa Back and Poison Spider/Portal are awesome right now. Any thoughts? We're both very good technical riders with good fitness on adequate equipment (Yeti ASR7 and Giant ReignX). Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Gang!
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

you're in town?

go to the bike shops, any of them. they gotta have the best , up-to-date info.

didn't tell tell you anything you didn't already know , did i?
    breezy shade

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Nhodge, thanks for the reply. One bike shop said that Amasa was really good, the other said that poison spider was good. I'm sure there both awesome, we just want the best bang for our buck.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I prefer Amasa Back; the view above the Colorado River is awesome at the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Moab winter-2010

whatever you end up doing, give a report w/ photos if possible. current report on any trail out there after this winter is extra helpful.
    breezy shade

I'd rather be biking...
    Ride Both....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Amasa Back for sure! Poison is sweet too but if you have to chose one... go Amasa Back. Killer views, epic ride, less sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Ride Both....
    Ditto.
    Although it may be a little late to bag both now with it being 11:00 am. But Amasa up and back or up to Rock Stacker then down Jackson's only takes a couple hours for strong riders. You could still get in Gold Bar Rim (Blue Dot) to Portal if you hurry. It's about a 4-5 hour ride. Up Poison Spider then down Portal would be shorter.

Enjoy. I'm very envious.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Ditto.
    Although it may be a little late to bag both now with it being 11:00 am. But Amasa up and back or up to Rock Stacker then down Jackson's only takes a couple hours for strong riders. You could still get in Gold Bar Rim (Blue Dot) to Portal if you hurry. It's about a 4-5 hour ride. Up Poison Spider then down Portal would be shorter.

Enjoy. I'm very envious.
    Blue Dot is a closed trail... Dont ride it.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    So we decided on Amasa Back. All the way out, took stack rock back around and then down Jacksons. What a great ride. I really enjoyed stack rock. Fun pieces of single track intersected by classic Moab slickrock. What's not to love. I am defiantly glad that I rode Jacksons, but next time I think that I'll hop back over the bluff and take Amasa back down. I just got tired of the exposer/sketchy lines and walking my bike. I appreciate them, they just got a little old after a bit. Thanks for all the recommendations. I hope to be back down in May. Maybe by then the Porcupine Rim will finally be dry and free of snow.

mtbr member
    Question...

If you ride Amasa and then Rock Stacker but want to climb back over the bluff to take Amasa back down, how big of a climb is it from Rock Stacker back to Amasa?

I have never done rock stacker, only amasa, mostly because I like the descent down Amasa and because I don't think I am a strong enough rider yet to do Jacksons

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski
    Question...

If you ride Amasa and then Rock Stacker but want to climb back over the bluff to take Amasa back down, how big of a climb is it from Rock Stacker back to Amasa?

I have never done rock stacker, only amasa, mostly because I like the descent down Amasa and because I don't think I am a strong enough rider yet to do Jacksons
    It is about a ten minute climb.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    i rode porcupine 2 days ago and it was just a little muddy at the top. but as we were leaving yesterday, there was some rain on the way out so maybe that mudded it up. I rode amasa back 2 times while I was there, and I loved it both times. my first trip to moab was certainly a memorable one, and will definately not be my last.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 296
    Blue Dot is a closed trail... Dont ride it.
    It is too bad that the Blue Dot is closed since it will one day be open to the public and all this closed stuff is bogus. Just think about all the people who have been put in jail for smoking weed. In California ,there are thousands of people in prison for smoking a little weed. The taxpayers are paying millions to house those folks and what is the real crime?

I feel sorry for the BLM rangers who have made it a cause to bust people for riding on slickrock because of WHAT? You would think they have bigger fish to fry.

I ride in an area where the old guard has had to retire and now there is fresh new blood in charge. Fortunately the new guard understands the stupidity of making it a daily cause to enforce a stupid regulation that has no real merrit. The new guard has decided that none of the approved trails are better than the non-approved trails, and that spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on an environmental study is ridiculous at this point in time.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be discovered with an environmental study? Has anyone ever looked at the one done on the uranium tailings project? What a waste of money that project is. If only the money could have been spent on building a nuclear power plant on that location or somewhere else in Utah that would have been a way better use of the taxpayers money.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there are no real environmental issues with the routing of the Blue Dot, but because the jeepers have an official route that has been ripped apart and is covered with rubber that is the legal way to go.

I hope that the BLM has the intelligence to see that the Blue Dot is a asset and that the Moab community can help them make lemonade out of lemons. Like our new President's adminstration has been successful with his dipolmatic efforts maybe the BLM will understand how nice it could to be loved rather than resented.

Where I used to be depressed at how the old guard dictated chapter and verse, I now look forward to helping the new guard make my riding area one of the best in the country. What a differene some fresh blood can make.

TD

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    If only the money could have been spent on building a nuclear power plant on that location or somewhere else in Utah that would have been a way better use of the taxpayers money
    TD

yikes! you are a seriously deranged individual
    breezy shade

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    yikes! you are a seriously deranged individual
    Can you be a little more specific?

TD

Members who have read this thread: 0