24 hours @Moab tire choice ?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

24 hours @Moab tire choice ?

I am racing this fall in the 24 Hrs Moab .What tires can any boby recommend for this race.I currently race mostly in the Canadian Rockies and the terrain is way different.
    I run Specialized Roll x race pro's on my Ellsworth and they work awesome,but I've never
    raced in Moab or Utah type ground conditions.Any advice would be great.

thks Pedals

user-created
    Big tires. The extra volume will keep you on top of the sand, and keep you from pinching on the rocks.

They don't hafta be DH big, but there's a whole crop of lightweight 2.3-2.5 tires out there. Take your pick.

The tread is more or less irrelevant as you either have unlimited traction (rock) or no traction (sand).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I can say the blue groove/nevegal combination works very well on the rock but is horrible in the sand. I ran a 2.5 BG up front and a 2.35 nevegal in the back and it stuck very well on the rock, better than the motorraptors or maxxis tires I had run in the past, but were worthless in the sand/loose stuff.

While I'm sure part of it is pure size, a friend ran a set of 24" gazzaloddi 3.0's and he could hit sandy corners coming down porcupine rim at least 5-8mph faster without sliding at all where I was not only going slower but sliding both tires in the same corner. He was also able to easily pedal through areas of slickrock that I could not. I'm sure floatation and him running lower pressure has some to do with it but I was very unimpressed with their handling on loose stuff.

I think next year I might try out a set of 2.6 gazzaloddi's, not much help though as I'm sure either of those are way too heavy to race for 24h. I'd try to find a reasonably good sand tire though, as pushing for that many laps would get really old if you could find a tire that would allow you to ride those sections. I think just about anything will stick on the sandstone, so it's a matter of finding the best sand tire at a good weight.

Mar 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Big tires. The extra volume will keep you on top of the sand, and keep you from pinching on the rocks.

They don't hafta be DH big, but there's a whole crop of lightweight 2.3-2.5 tires out there. Take your pick.

The tread is more or less irrelevant as you either have unlimited traction (rock) or no traction (sand).
    Have you ridden the 24hrs Moab I,m looking for any course info ?

Chilling out
    I haven't ridden the 24hr but I have ridden much of the trail they used for it last year or so.

I got great sand-flotation / traction with Geax Sedona 2.25 tires the first year I was in Moab, and even better with the MotoRaptor 2.4's the last time ... but the latter is kinda heavy for an endurance event.

Recent I have been riding some Specialized Adrenalin 2.2's and found them to be surprisingly large in air volume, and quick rolling. You may want to take a look at them. Note that they are almost as much tire volume as the Moto 2.4's mentioned above so frame-fit issues could be, er, issues.

Brass Nipples!
    WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4's are hard to beat for the 24H Moab course. The course is south of town in the Behind the Rocks area. Any of the shops can steer you in the right direction.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals
    I am racing this fall in the 24 Hrs Moab .What tires can any boby recommend for this race.I currently race mostly in the Canadian Rockies and the terrain is way different.
    I run Specialized Roll x race pro's on my Ellsworth and they work awesome,but I've never
    raced in Moab or Utah type ground conditions.Any advice would be great.

thks Pedals
    As big of a fan as I am for large volume tires, I'll say that when I did 24 hrs of Moab I ran pretty skinny tires.....a Panaracer Fire DH pro 2.3 front and a Fire XC pro 2.1 in the rear. For the race course I think that was a good setup. I didn't have any sand problems and I was on a SS so I couldn't mosey through the stuff. They rolled well and I had good lap times with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I second the Mutanoraptor 2.4 Race... light for it's size at <600g (but it's really more like a 2.2 or 2.3, by the way). Run them at low pressure for sand (I run at 30 psi, but I'm pretty light).
    I don't know about the Roll-X, but I've seen other Specialized tire torn to shreds on slickrock, whereas my Mutanos held up just fine.

Takin'er easy
    Continental Explorer