2011 Utah DH and Super-D races?- Mtbr.com
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

2011 Utah DH and Super-D races?

Hey guys,

Anyone got any info on DH and SD races in Utah this year? I'm gonna do my best to get over there for a few, Brian Head sounds killer!

Cheers!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    :You should check this out Noah. Sounds like fun...... unless you are looking for something more official.

There's also the Fears Tears and Beers MTB enduro in Ely just across the border.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The chump that puts on the Tears Fears and Beers MTB Enduro needs to team up with the chump that is putting far too much time into the Humdinger Derby.

If Krispy's lowly opinion counts, and I am not saying it does, then the Humdinger is serious business and is a Must Do event. The proposed addition of more courses only sweetens the pot. I personally rank it as the (well, ONLY) race I participated in last year because it resulted in violence to my person while I was dressed as a Missionary. That's just awesome.

Would be nice to meet you Noah, put it on your radar.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    The chump that puts on the Tears Fears and Beers MTB Enduro needs to team up with the chump that is putting far too much time into the Humdinger Derby.
    I've heard there's been some negotiations..... but the unofficialness of the HD may reflect badly on the officialness of the FTB was the conclusion. However, that does not prevent said HD participants from coming over and unofficially participating in the bona fide official FTB. Savvy?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I've heard there's been some negotiations..... but the unofficialness of the HD may reflect badly on the officialness of the FTB was the conclusion. However, that does not prevent said HD participants from coming over and unofficially participating in the bona fide official FTB. Savvy?
    I think it's the other way round... but if you don't want to take it to the next level and become Unofficial, that's your decision.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'm down with the Humdinger, keep me in the loop! When's FTB?
    NOAH SEARS

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    There's nothing fun going on this year in Utah. It's all hearsay and unfounded internet rumors from fictitious characters who are too affraid to post up who their real identities are and the fact that they all work for a bank and are too out of shape to ever ride.

Having said that if you plan on participating you better get your kit in line as there is a non-internet rumor of something possibly happening as soon as March. If you show up without one someone may ask that you return next time more prepared.

Tissues will not be supplied.

NoahColorado, you need to work on your Halloween costume for 2011. That crap you had glued to that T-shirt and hat in the Hot Tomato only showed disrespect to such an illustrious national Holiday. There are some people who only live for that one Holiday and your costume was a slap in the face of those who woke up a 5am to paint their faces and dye their hair so they could show up to work at 8:30am and show off the digs they have been preparing for the past 364 days to their coworkers.

Cheers, and yes please come out to our lame events and the TFB's race in Ely as it looks really cool and has a much better name than ours. Perhaps at some point we could get some interstate rivalry going and send out All Star Teams to show each other how lame our respective states are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    I'm down with the Humdinger, keep me in the loop! When's FTB?

Edit: The Fears Tears and Beers MTB Enduro is now set for June 11, 2011.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-26-2011 at 11:46 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I think it's the other way round... but if you don't want to take it to the next level and become Unofficial, that's your decision.
    LOL. Actually, we may have to go underground this year. The BLM rec planner tore us a new one over a bunch of supposed infractions last year. So we're going to have to make nice this year or we may not get permitted.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Brianhead and The Moab Ho Down are two of the greatest Super D's of all time (and that's coming from the SD Grand Marshal of Yootaw). I'd reccomend joining the Derby League to stay in shape and learn to pound an unbelievably cold beer in less than 30 seconds.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Brianhead and The Moab Ho Down are two of the greatest Super D's of all time (and that's coming from the SD Grand Marshal of Yootaw). I'd reccomend joining the Derby League to stay in shape and learn to pound an unbelievably cold beer in less than 30 seconds.
    An industrious gnome is already hard at work on our jerseys.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I'd reccomend joining the Derby League to stay in shape and learn to pound an unbelievably cold beer in less than 30 seconds.
    I think you meant to say a scalding hot latte' along with a poetry reading? I was told Derby League was a local organization studying the writings of Margaret Atwood?

Dammit! I was already half way through my quilt.

And what part of Derby do you play young lady?
    Yes, no. Ohhhh I don't know that.
    Who should I make this out to?
    Now spell your name for me, I'm not good with the Derby just yet....
    BABY FACE KILL-HER 666?
    Such a lovely Derby name. Let's all clap!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider

NoahColorado, you need to work on your Halloween costume for 2011. That crap you had glued to that T-shirt and hat in the Hot Tomato only showed disrespect to such an illustrious national Holiday. There are some people who only live for that one Holiday and your costume was a slap in the face of those who woke up a 5am to paint their faces and dye their hair so they could show up to work at 8:30am and show off the digs they have been preparing for the past 364 days to their coworkers..
    Ay! I only saw this post today! How dare you knock my Gulf of Mexico costume! I spent countless minutes on that thing! Okay, it kinda sucked....

Back to the topic...whats the best AM saddle/chamois combination for super-d?
    NOAH SEARS

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Ay! I only saw this post today! How dare you knock my Gulf of Mexico costume! I spent countless minutes on that thing! Okay, it kinda sucked....

Back to the topic...whats the best AM saddle/chamois combination for super-d?
    AM = expensive bib shorts underneath for maximum comfort but with bib straps hanging out from under freeride jersey over nice baggies with a small amount of stretch across the bun-zone so you don't snag your italian leather racing saddle while hitting (no higher than) head-high drops to flat-ish transitions.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    What's an 'all mountain' and do they come in anodized colors?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    On a more serious note: just checked the Utah DH site and they have tentative dates up.

More importantly, they are requesting feedback for the Dark Hollow Super D - whether or not to continue. PLEASE email them and let them know this is something we want to continue! I think the people who raced last year will REALLY push hard to get more riders involved this coming summer.

From utahdh.org:
    Please let us know if there is any interest in continuing the Dark Hollow Super D. We felt that it was a really good race, but the number of racers from last year won't be enough to make the race viable going forward. Ideally, we'd like make the race a 2-day event separate from Flyin' Brian. Please provide your input to [email protected]
    Email your support to: [email protected]
    http://utahdh.org/

mtbr super member
    So I'm wanting to get a little info on the Utah super-D events from people who have done them. I've noticed on go-ride that there are 4 races planned for the summer of 2011. I've raced XC but I want something with a little more speed and downhill and thought I would try these 4 events. These would be my first super-D races and I had a few questions to ask:

1) How intense are the DH sections at these races?
    2) Do I need something with more than 6 inches of travel? (currently on a 2010 giant reign 2)
    3) What category would an experienced rider but first time super-D racer sign up for?
    4) Are there more events than the 4 listed on go-ride for Utah super-D?

Also, on a side note, how intense are the DH races. If they don't required 8 inches of travel I would consider doing one or two of those too. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffard
    So I'm wanting to get a little info on the Utah super-D events from people who have done them. I've noticed on go-ride that there are 4 races planned for the summer of 2011. I've raced XC but I want something with a little more speed and downhill and thought I would try these 4 events. These would be my first super-D races and I had a few questions to ask:
    The great thing about Super D is you can be great at it coming from either an XC or DH background. Welcome to a new addiction...

Each track is different. Sundance and Wolf are very mellow and you can be competitive on a hardtail. Dark Hollow is probably the most technical SD course I've ridden - 6 inches is just barely enough. It rocks. Literally.

2) Do I need something with more than 6 inches of travel? (currently on a 2010 giant reign 2)
    No.

3) What category would an experienced rider but first time super-D racer sign up for?
    Probably Cat 2

Not in the Utah DH series. There are some one-off events like Fears Tears and Beers in Ely, NV and the Moab Ho-Down though, that are also a blast.

Also, on a side note, how intense are the DH races. If they don't required 8 inches of travel I would consider doing one or two of those too. Thanks in advance!
    Again, depends on the course. Sundance is pretty tame with just one technical section. Brian Head is very technical all the way through. Sundance is a good one to try as a first DH race.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Stupour D's been pretty inconsistant in Utah over the past few to few more years-as it has been all over the country. Used to be that 30+ guys/gals would show up for the Utah Series and the ever memorable 2007 Deer Valley NORBA Super D had something like 300 people.
    With the exception of the Dark Hollow Super D, not to be confused with the Flyin' Brian Super D of old, guys were starting to show up on hard tail 29'ers and killing it. We had a really fun one the first year at Wolf Mountain but that was short lived and now the event caters to a light XC bike.
    Like Summit said, Sundance is a good eye opener for Utah Super D. It's rather long and flat and the super fit XC guys who can survive the first bit of the race on the fire road are the one's who prevail down there now. I can't say I would call it a 'Super-D' as opposed to something like 'Very Short Track XC' but it's what we've got so....

Regardless, your Reign is more than fine for any Super D event, including the Dark Hollow (so long as you have tires/wheels that will be able to survive that beating.) Summit posted up a great video of it on this site, you should check it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just subscribing to this thread. Hoping to do the utah super-d series this year as well as Dark hollow and the Ho-Down. Also looking at the Hood River Super D as part of a road trip and the FTB Enduro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose
    Just subscribing to this thread. Hoping to do the utah super-d series this year as well as Dark hollow and the Ho-Down. Also looking at the Hood River Super D as part of a road trip and the FTB Enduro.
    Thank goodness they have age classes in the Utah DH series

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Haha this season will be a good test for me, we'll see if it was just beginners luck or not. And I probably won't be getting to all of these races, but i'm just putting them on the calendar so I can start planning.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Thank goodness they have age classes in the Utah DH series
    Is there a Super D dark horse lurking out there?

Sorry, I just had to do it. When I came across it I almost spit my Yerba Mate', excuse me, coffee out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Whatever that is, it scares me.

And yes, the monkey dark horse wasn't far behind our resident leprechaun in Moab last fall...

mtbr member
    Yeah that's freaky. It looks almost like a painting but it's just too real...with the dirty fingernails and Utah desert rubbed into the skin on his knees...

Getting beat in Moab has had me on a fierce regimen this winter. We'll see how Bootleg's nevada state champs goes in a few weeks....

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    We'll see how Bootleg's nevada state champs goes in a few weeks....
    Sorry, I'm gonna win that

I've been training with a Shake Weight all winter....
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice Krispy, I was all fired up for winter training, and started MTB James' program, but then I've been sick for oh, about the last month so it fell by the wayside. Time to get re-started.

Shake Weight is even moar better!

Was planning on Bootleg SD but other obligations have me on skis in Colorado that weekend...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Sorry, I'm gonna win that

I've been training with a Shake Weight all winter....
    Shake Weight pffft... whatever. Try a fat jiggler first then post up here. It's how we do it in the Semi-Pro ranks.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KPSIpmOlJE4" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Nice Krispy, I was all fired up for winter training, and started MTB James' program, but then I've been sick for oh, about the last month so it fell by the wayside. Time to get re-started.
    I'm headed to his gym right now! We're starting to put together some videos, I think there will be one up on Pinkbike this week. His program has helped me immensely, I highly recommend his programs.
    NOAH SEARS

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Meh. Taint no Secrets: Get as fit as a road racer, do a thousand pushups and then when the snow melts go out and do DH runs. That's my plan, anyway. Now that I have procured the first and only NICE 60mm stem in mass-production, I figure I have a huge advantage already.
    Last edited by JMH; 02-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

It's Not About The Bike

Yeah, I downloaded the Rasmussen diet/work out plan 'It's Not Blood Doping If There Is No Blood' and am looking good already for it being just the first week in February. Just a few more pounds and I should be at my ideal Super D/DH weight of 99.9lbs.

BTW: I was beaten with half a Twizzler when I asked Rasmussen if I could buy him a pizza.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 02-03-2011 at 10:40 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I am still working out a few bumpy patches in my fitness but the daily jet rides to a warmer climate have really motivated me to hit my Bikini Weight. Yeah, that's Tom Bruise toting me around in his Top Guns jet there... suck it Monkeys!

On a completely serious note, that's a great portrait of B. Who shot that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Utah DH and Super-D races?-11534moab.jpg  

Homer's problem child
    On a completely serious note, that's a great portrait of B. Who shot that?
    Dammit! There is a reason I do my training at Dugway, that leaked photo represents a serious lapse in National Security. I'd keep eyes in the back of your head, I'm sure the men in black suits are closing in...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. I swear, this Forum is the most confusing thing on this site.

Please help me:

1. Who is Super D? I'm assuming it's refering to Super Dell Schanze.
    2. Is six inches in the rear enough? I can only handle 4-5" tops then I start to lose small bump feeling and my lower back starts to hurt.
    3. Where is All Mountain? And does it offer lift assisted riding?
    4. If 1. really is refering to Super Dell, does that mean all this race talk is really about racing his flying cars?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Super Dells would be an awesome Derby Team name.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    The Super Dells would be an awesome Derby Team name.
    They could just stand around and scream about how everyone else's bike sucks and then bend over and take it when their master plan at Derby domination fails, ultimately running for Governor of the Derby Board, failing again and then trying to jump their bikes over I-15 landing them in jail.

You're right, that would be awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 0