2 week riding vacation, TOPO would help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2 week riding vacation, TOPO would help

So, I am taking my long awaited 2 week vacation to just ride. Was supposed to start today, but a buddy of mine that I am going to meet in Moab couldn't make it until next week. Good thing, because some how I ended up with strep throat. Today is day 3 of the antibiotics, and also the day that I got my new wheels with King hubs set up on my bike.

Anyway, I am thinking of 3 general places I want to hit up. Moab. Fruita. Virgin River/St George Area. I have a handy dandy little GPS that could help me out finding trails and such, but, does anyone out there have a software recommendation to allow me to download TOPO maps of the various trails?

I could fork over the 99 bucks for the utah state series, but then that wouldn't include Fruita. Any way I can get the coverage for the areas I am looking for cheaper?

Sam

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Topo Backroads

I have the National Geographic Topo Backroads Explorer, which is 17 CDs covering every state. If you are familiar with Topo, the Backroads Explorer covers everything down to Level 4, whereas the full state series goes down to level 5. Level 5 = 7.5'. Backroads has road names, which is handy, but the detail is a little less than optimal. The state series has enough detail, but no road names.

Niether has trails on it. I also have (is this a disease?) A Topo National Parks set that has some of the Moab trails outlined.

I honestly think your best bet is to suck it up and get the paper Moab East and West set for Moab and the GJ/Fruita map for Fruita. The trails are outlined that way.

Let me ask you a question. I've been thinking I ought to do a trial guide of Moab/Fruita/Other CO trails that includes GPS waypoints. My idea is that the book itself would have pretty course granularity (maybe one waypoint every 1/2 mile), but have a website with waypoints every 200 feet and offer downloads of waypoints to people who bought the book. This might even just be an eBook.

Good idea? Anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by sf3291
    So, I am taking my long awaited 2 week vacation to just ride. Was supposed to start today, but a buddy of mine that I am going to meet in Moab couldn't make it until next week. Good thing, because some how I ended up with strep throat. Today is day 3 of the antibiotics, and also the day that I got my new wheels with King hubs set up on my bike.

Anyway, I am thinking of 3 general places I want to hit up. Moab. Fruita. Virgin River/St George Area. I have a handy dandy little GPS that could help me out finding trails and such, but, does anyone out there have a software recommendation to allow me to download TOPO maps of the various trails?

I could fork over the 99 bucks for the utah state series, but then that wouldn't include Fruita. Any way I can get the coverage for the areas I am looking for cheaper?

Sam

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit

Let me ask you a question. I've been thinking I ought to do a trial guide of Moab/Fruita/Other CO trails that includes GPS waypoints. My idea is that the book itself would have pretty course granularity (maybe one waypoint every 1/2 mile), but have a website with waypoints every 200 feet and offer downloads of waypoints to people who bought the book. This might even just be an eBook.

Good idea? Anyone interested?

I think it is a good idea, but there may be a downside as well. You certainly sound more familiar with the TOPO software than I am. (your explanation on the level of detail was dead on, and actually cleared a few things up for me).

I think the most marketable way to offer downloads would be to offer a list of waypoints that can be transfered to a GPS unit without the additional cost of another software package, or at least a cheap software package. Also, I would think that the trails would have to be well thought out....not just where someone takes their GPS onto a new trail for the first time and bumbles their way through it. It should be compiled by someone who is pretty familiar with that trail....which is what I see as the potential downfall of the mapXchange service from National Geographic.

I myeself don't need the entire TOPO map. The waypoints would be great, and if I could come across all of that for the trails I want to ride for a cost significantly less than the state series, I'd jump all over it. But, that is just me. Buying the state series for a place I may visit only once a year is kind of steep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Waypoint Download Software

There are many GPL/Freeware/Shareware ways to download waypoints to a GPS. You don't need Topo or any other commercial program.

My idea would be to have the waypoints in comma-delimited files, and pointers to various Open Source/freeware/shareware programs to download the files to the GPS. As soon as I would start actually distributing some kind of software, my life would be sucked into a hellish black hole of stupidity from which I would never recover. About the third time I spent 1/2 hour trying to walk someone through a download, only to have them say "Oh, I guess I should have plugged the cable into the PC a half an hour ago", I would kill something.

Samsonite Tester
    At www.utahmountainbiking.com site they give GPS coordinates to most all the rides. It will certainly help you find spots near Virgin.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14