2/6/'10 Lots of rain in STG...so stay away!- Mtbr.com
    NOT Team Sanchez

2/6/'10 Lots of rain in STG...so stay away!

We're getting the most concentrated rainstorm I've seen in years right now, solid rainfall for hours now.........flooding may become an issue. As for mtb'ing down here; we're going to be too soaked to ride for at least a week, and that's if the sun makes an appearance which it's not forecasted to do. In fact, we're looking at more rain through the weekend, which may make it two weeks before anything besides Churchrocks (even it'd be too wet for awhile) will rideable. So to those who were wondering about coming down to ride, you better plan for a few weeks
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Is it still looking really bad? I heard there has been some sun. I'm wanting to hit STG this saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sg

A few weeks is a little excessive. 3-4 dry and sunny days will usually leave all of the trails in great shape. SG is scheduled for more rain wed, but then dry leading into the weekend. If the forecast comes true I bet most of the trails will be just fine by sat. The Clay Trails IE Bear Claw, Stucki, Racecourse, Goulds Hurricane Rim, Jem, Gooseberry, will probably need a little longer.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

NOT Team Sanchez
    Raining today, rain forecasted tomorrow...........here's the thing about me posting up two weeks; Yes I error on the longer side, but I'm dang sick of our trails getting destroyed, so better safe than sorry I say
    I like bikes.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    We're getting the most concentrated rainstorm I've seen in years right now, solid rainfall for hours now.........flooding may become an issue. As for mtb'ing down here; we're going to be too soaked to ride for at least a week, and that's if the sun makes an appearance which it's not forecasted to do. In fact, we're looking at more rain through the weekend, which may make it two weeks before anything besides Churchrocks (even it'd be too wet for awhile) will rideable. So to those who were wondering about coming down to ride, you better plan for a few weeks
    Thanks for the update, Where do you guys ride in July and August?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Thanks for the update, Where do you guys ride in July and August?
    Probably midnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    We're getting the most concentrated rainstorm I've seen in years right now, solid rainfall for hours now.........flooding may become an issue.
    Yeah, we were debating coming down to either St. George or Vegas this past weekend and when we saw the forecast decided to stay home. Sounds like we made the right choice.

It's pretty bad when even you're escape destinations are are junk due to the weather.

I need some dirt!!

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm sorry guys, I don't want to be a jerk on here about trail conditions, I've just been personally burned and as a result I'm very touchy now........I'll be nice
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    A few weeks is a little excessive. 3-4 dry and sunny days will usually leave all of the trails in great shape. SG is scheduled for more rain wed, but then dry leading into the weekend. If the forecast comes true I bet most of the trails will be just fine by sat. The Clay Trails IE Bear Claw, Stucki, Racecourse, Goulds Hurricane Rim, Jem, Gooseberry, will probably need a little longer.

Besides Church Rocks/Dino Cliffs and Prospector, what trails do you think will be "ridable" this weekend? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    The Clay Trails IE Bear Claw, Stucki, Racecourse, Goulds Hurricane Rim, Jem, Gooseberry, will probably need a little longer.
    We have reached saturation levels in the ground around here (I live across the street from JEM/Goulds/HR.... The trails you mention above will need weeks (not days) to be ridable without damaging them.

We will need at least a week of sun, wind and temps into the 50's.

Please stay off these trails when they are muddy and wet..the damage last for a long, long time. It's rather selfish IMO to think only of ones self and not all the other trail users who come after you. (not directed at anyone inparticular in this thread...so don't be offended)
    Last edited by STT GUY; 02-10-2010 at 06:56 PM.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Zen and the Race Course should be fine, the Loop will be a mess.........Paradise as always is great! Barrels will be ok minus the stunts as they hold the moisture much longer than the surrounding terrain....like big dirt sponges.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Forecast looks good for the next 10 days or so. My wife and I will be coming out the 19th thru the 22nd. Assuming the trails don't get any rain between now and then, will Goose and JEM be ok?

mtbr member
    Relax... I do lots of trail work and have also been burned buy people riding on my wet trails. That's why we're asking... so we won't damage "your" trails. If you are to conservative with drying times you will loose credibility and people will not trust your info and just come down to see for themselves. We all want to protect the trails. THAT'S WHY WE'RE ASKING.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Point taken, two weeks was a tad excessive for some trails.........this weekend should see all the STG trails rideable minus Green Valley (Stucki, and Bear Claw Poppy) as for Zion area probably not.

I also realize the futility of even doing this as most the damage is done by people who don't use this site, or those who don't care and so why even ask.........I sincerely apologize if I've been overboard.
    I like bikes.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

No need for apologies. Thanks for the heads up on the trail conditions. I would much rather err on the side of caution than drive to St. George from SLC, only to find that nothing is rideable.

This has been a weird winter, with crappy snow up north and wet rainy days in the south. I miss driving down to St. George on almost any weekend in the winter and finding nice temperatures and perfect trails. However, there is no sense in debating with the people who actually live there (STT GUY and wasea) about how wet or dry the trails are.

I just hope they dry out fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0