1x10 for Northern Utah- Mtbr.com
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

1x10 for Northern Utah

Never really considered it before, but I'm somewhat curious to try a 1x10 setup on my SB 95. Just don't know how it would work here given the climbing and some steep stuff like Pinecone, etc.

It makes sense with everything that it loses & simplifies - just wondering how many people here are running it and like it. Then of course - 30 or 32t?

I can stay on the top ring (36) almost everywhere with some exceptions, but not too many. Just think it might be neat to try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ran a 1x10, 32t up front all summer on my RM altitude (30+ lb).
    I never had an issue climbing anything in PC or any trails for that matter. I think it is the way to go.. you drop a ton of weight and reduces most possible drivetrain issues.

mtbr member
    Brought 1x9 with me when I moved here, running a 32T chainring. Moved to a 1x10 for the larger cog, and haven't had any issues. Usually run a 30T chainring for the longer rides. Did the PC PTP race and didn't find it to be a problem. I haven't done near as much SS since I moved here though.

Frame Building Moderator
    If you pay attention to the lowest and highest gear you regularly use on a typical ride, then figure out how close you can come with a 1x setup, that will answer your question. Asking random people who might be weaker/stronger than you online is not going to be all that helpful.

FWIW, if you think that <1 pound of weight will make any meaningful difference in your riding, I have a bridge I'd like to tell you about. If you hate dropping your chain, chainsuck, or having trouble shifting to a different chainring - those might be reasons to swap to 1x.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like Walt said pay attention to what gears you use. Personally I almost never use the fastest gears on my 2X10 set-up. I have been thinking about trying 1X10 as well. In my small 28 Tooth ring and the lowest in the back and a fast but not crazy cadence i'm riding along at about 20 MPH. Since I lack the legs to go much faster then that unless its on flat paved roads I think it would work great. 36 tooth sounds pretty big to me, but I think pinecone is a pretty mellow grade compared to other things I ride.

I have not made the switch because 1 lb of weight is not a big deal to me, and I can't remember the last time my 2X10 has dropped the chain. My next bike will definatly only have 1 ring in the front
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I switched to 1x10 with a 32T narrow/wide front ring last year and the only trail I haven't been able to clear up here is the top half of Puke Hill. Every other trail in PC or SLC is rideable with 1x10, although some sections take a little more work than others. The way I see it, it just makes you a stronger rider that way!

I did just order a 42T ring from One Up Components OneUp Components - OneUp Components 42T Sprocket to try it out. Basically you pull your 17T and add the 42T. So you get almost the range of a 1x11, but at a much cheaper price. I figure the 42T should easily let me clear Puke Hill.

I agree that the weight savings is not the primary reason to go 1x10, but it certainly doesn't hurt. The main reason I like it is that there is one less thing to mess with while you are riding, there are less parts to maintain, you get more room on your bars for a dropper post switch, weight savings, and I think it makes you a stronger rider since you can't just bail out to a granny ring when the going gets tough. If you get a clutch rear derailleur and a narrow/wide chainring, you can also add never dropping your chain to the list of benefits, and you don't need a chain guide.

mtbr member
    i use a 28T with my 1x10 because the 32 just wasn't kind enough on my out of shapeness. But I do love it, and don't see myself going to a front derailleur ever again.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Tried it today for the first time in Corner Canyon - I went with the Raceface 32t, and of course 'have an 11/36 in back.

Really liked it, but hard to get a accurate feeling on snow.

@ryandelany - yeah I saw the OneUp 42t rear cog too - they are really slow to produce them, but I'm not even sure I need it. Corner Canyon isn't much of a real test (and the snow makes it tough because of the need to keep a fairly low resistance to the ground (or you'll spin in the snow)), but it gave me a pretty good idea.

I was on the 36 and 32 most; 28 felt like quite a jump. I didn't even remove the FD or shifter yet, but will likely do that this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ride a SS everywhere (verrry sloooowwwly), and clear most trails, so 1x10 would definitely be doable. I do hate life 3/4 way up Puke hill, but Pinecone is not that bad at all.

mtbr member
    Thinking about doing this as well for reduction in complexity and weight. Plus it's what all the cool kids are doing so I want to fit in.

I bought atekt's Altitude and have liked the one ring set up so I ordered a One Up Components 42t ring and am going to swap it onto my Chilcotin. I checked the gear inch calculator and the 32x42 is nearly as low as the 24x 32 I use for most of my really steep climbs so I think I should be ok. I'll miss the 24x36 that I default to every once in awhile but I rarely "need" it.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm doing the same with

42T GC cog for Shimano ? wolftoothcomponents.com

It's great we have multiple options for this sort of unique product.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    I'm doing the same with

42T GC cog for Shimano ? wolftoothcomponents.com

It's great we have multiple options for this sort of unique product.
    I have about 150m on my 1x setup and so far, it's been great.

I don't see a price on Wolftooth's version of the 42t - how much is it? OneUp's is $100.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    When I bought my Wolftooth it was $89.95 this month.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Never really considered it before, but I'm somewhat curious to try a 1x10 setup on my SB 95. Just don't know how it would work here given the climbing and some steep stuff like Pinecone, etc.

It makes sense with everything that it loses & simplifies - just wondering how many people here are running it and like it. Then of course - 30 or 32t?

I can stay on the top ring (36) almost everywhere with some exceptions, but not too many. Just think it might be neat to try.
    I have been riding in the Wasatch with a shimano 1x10 on my SB66, I use a 32T for early desert,34T everyday and a 36T for enduro racing. I just built up my ARC carbon 29er 1x10 with a 34T but have not ridden it yet. Utah is pretty forgiving compared to my old trails around Durango CO and Telluride CO. I still use a 1x10 out there and have had luck with a 34T. I would consider myself a strong climber and like to push a big gear. 34T sounds like the ticket for Pinecone and other long jaunts. If you can push a 36 most places than choke up to a 34 and don't worry about running out of gear on the road.

mtbr member
    Sheldon's site for calculating comparable gearing, giving you the ability to see what kind of range you'll get with various options: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator