1st year riding Utah. Questions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

1st year riding Utah. Questions?

Hey guys, moved to SLC last Aug and did a little bit of riding at Draper DH and Deer Valley. Currently I am riding a Jamis Parker 2 but I am in the process of building a Chumba F5 for the bigger DH stuff.

I am trying to find some other trails for this season and maybe some more guys to ride with. I'm a competent rider just trying to get more familiar with the area and a wider variety of trails. Any suggestions for other trails would be GREATLY appreciated!

I am a Sgt in the Marine Corps and stationed here for the next few years while participating in a commissioning program and I'd like to really enjoy all of the extra free time I have.

Thanks guys.

Nick

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't see any questions. But I do a lot of riding around here. If you like doing jumps then head over to I street dirt jumps. And right by that is the Bobsled trail. And up in Bountiful there is the downhills on skyline drive. Those should keep you busy for a week or so.

mtbr member
    Check out http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

That should keep you busy for a couple of years. As far as personal suggestions, definitely do Bobsled, and try to make it into the Alpine Loop of American Fork Canyon. Park City has some great trails as well. Take a weekend down to Moab in the fall. You're only four hours away.

I envy you so much. I moved from Utah to Houston a year ago, and hardly ride any more. Enjoy it while you have it. Utah has amazing mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by Strautins
    Hey guys, moved to SLC last Aug and did a little bit of riding at Draper DH and Deer Valley. Currently I am riding a Jamis Parker 2 but I am in the process of building a Chumba F5 for the bigger DH stuff.

I am trying to find some other trails for this season and maybe some more guys to ride with. I'm a competent rider just trying to get more familiar with the area and a wider variety of trails. Any suggestions for other trails would be GREATLY appreciated!

I am a Sgt in the Marine Corps and stationed here for the next few years while participating in a commissioning program and I'd like to really enjoy all of the extra free time I have.

Thanks guys.

Nick
    "So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I guess it wasn't clear enough, but my question was where are the other good trails? I've been burning holes at Draper, I actually did bobsled the other day that was was alot of fun.

I'll be down for a few days tho while I wait on the infamous broken chain stay on my Parker2 to be fixed... yay...
    Last edited by Strautins; 05-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    check out the link that srey mentioned, that's where I've found most of my trail info. If you can't find a new trail every couple of days (or a new way to connect to or from a trail) you're doing it wrong. The trail options will really open up once the snow starts melting and the trails around PCMR start opening up.

Have you been up to Park City yet to ride? Get up there and ride Bob's Basin, Glenwild, and Flying Dog...or connect all three. There are a ton of options at Round Valley.

For a short-ish ride, there's Temple Quarry in the mouth of Little Cottonwood.

If you're willing to brave the bugs (I'm guessing they're bad right now) go out and ride Antelope Island (you might never go back...but the riding is okay, and around sunset the scenery is amazing.)

I could give you more info on where all of this is...but utahmountainbiking.com has far better descriptions than I could offer.

Best of luck...enjoy the riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    +1 for Bountiful. You will need a shuttle unless you want to climb up a dirt road with the ATVs.

+1 for the above link. Found that a few years back and agree that it gives more than enough rides for many seasons.

The extra spring snow really has put a damper on the riding so far. Looks like nice weather for the next while, so hopefully the top of the canyons will be clear by July.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I guess it wasn't clear enough, but my question was where are the other good trails? I've been burning holes at Draper, I actually did bobsled the other day that was was alot of fun.

I'll be down for a few days tho while I wait on the infamous broken chain stay on my Parker2 to be fixed... yay...
    It's all about patience this year. All the good stuff in Park City is still under plenty of snow and with the weather not cooperating it's going to be a while.

So you just have to put on a happy face and ride what's dry with the 1000+ other people out doing the same.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm not in any hurry to be honest I am just trying to expand and find new trails to ride this season...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    First Utah trip also, cant wait

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    So you just have to put on a happy face and ride what's dry with the 1000+ other people out doing the same.
    Happy face - check
    Outfit - check
    I'm ready to ride, as you can see I just moved to Utard and need to start a new thread to ask everyone the same question(s) that have been posted a million times.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Gonna share that lemonade or what?

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Gonna share that lemonade or what?
    I'll give you a lemon so you can suck on that and make your own lemonade. And if you want more I keep given you lemons so you can suck more!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    I'll give you a lemon so you can suck on that and make your own lemonade. And if you want more I keep given you lemons so you can suck more!
    Thanks, but I prefer my lemonade shaken violently for 3-5 seconds or until I fall over asleep in the fetal position.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, but I prefer my lemonade shaken violently for 3-5 seconds or until I fall over asleep in the fetal position.
    Then why don't you just get on your rigid single speed 29er with your spandex on and stick the lemon where the sun don't shine for 5 seconds. I am sure that will be to your liking!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    Then why don't you just get on your rigid single speed 29er with your spandex on and stick the lemon where the sun don't shine for 5 seconds. I am sure that will be to your liking!

Sounds All-Mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2010

ohh how I love some of the cool guys on forums..... "how dare you not search before you post ANYTHING, EVER...."

mtbr member
    May 2009

ohh how I love some of the cool guys on forums..... "how dare you not search before you post ANYTHING, EVER...."
    Ya... class acts all of them Let's fu#k with the Marine who actually knows the meaning of honor and duty when he asks a simple question.

To the OP.. Good luck with your program, I hope you make a fine Officer and thank you for your service to our country.

Lastly, enjoy riding here in Utah!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0