1st trip to St.George 7inch bike too much?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

1st trip to St.George 7inch bike too much?

1st trip to St.George and three have option 7 inch Scott,P2/dirt jumper or rent a bike.
    any sugestions ???

I'd rather be biking...
    what style of riding are you wanting to ride...?
    Barrel trail would be great on a 7 inch bike

Mar 2005
    a little bit of everything ,but prefer dh . really its just a get away from vegas so as long as I,
    on my bike I'll be happy

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    We rented 5" bikes and that seemed about right. A 7" bike there would be overkill unless you are doing a bunch of DH runs (we didn't).

Mar 2005
    dh runs in st .george ???? where??? please????

No idea, but there must be enough to justify a DH bike. The LBS had a used one for sale outside that belongs to their sponsored rider.

There is always the Red Bull site in Virgin, and from the trail map description it sounds like people shuttle the Flying Monkey. I haven't ridden or even looked at either.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinhawaiian
    1st trip to St.George and three have option 7 inch Scott,P2/dirt jumper or rent a bike. any sugestions ???
    My wife and I were out there in March on a 150mm travel Enduro (me) and 170mm travel Titus Supermoto (my wife) and got around just fine, despite not being super strong riders. We rode in the Bearclaw Poppy and Paradise Canyon areas, and on Gooseberry Mesa. The extra bit of squish was nice to have on some of the rougher stuff, and not at all inhibiting. Our bikes are built up in the low to mid thirty pound range, and although we don't ride at race pace they do provide a great time.

If you're comfortable pedaling your long travel bike around then bring it, you're sure to have a good time.

Supermoto going up...Turtle Wall, Paradise Canyon.

Enduro going down...North Rim, Gooseberry Mesa.

I guess it depends what kind of 7" bike you have. An AM 7" bike would be fine, a 7" DH bike probably wouldn't be as much fun.

Mar 2005
    scott nitrous built more freeride /dh

Really I am that slow

Prob overkill

There is the grafton mesa stuff that has some big hucks drops/ hero lines...

Goose, little creek, gauc, rockville bench are all more slow speed techy stuff both up and down...

7" can be quite fun you just have to be creative with your line choice. but is a bit much if you wanna pedal around stuff...

I'm always a fun of run what yah brung or making due with the wheels your riding
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

NOT Team Sanchez
    A Nitrous is possibly on the "small," side for some of the more gnarly dh runs near Zion truth be told. In actual St.George I recommend the Barrels, it's got a few steep tech spots reminiscient of Grafton and quite a few stunts that our little posse has built..........then as mentioned above, Paradise Canyon once you reach the top is basically a highspeed rock garden from top to bottom, it's one you just bomb, I love it. Also the Zen's DH is pretty sick as well, you can rip it very fast. It's also got some fun tech that can be ridden at twenty or so mph for the real fun like Paradise. So, if you're a pretty strong rider, you'll have very little trouble climbing anything around here, the only time I feel I'm overbiked is when I have to hang with guys on their twenty five pound xc rockets, but then I smoke 'em coming down

6-7 inches with a dual ring up front is the best setup for St.George IMO.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just rode in St George all weekend, JEM, Grafton, and Gooseberry loops. Rode my 6.7 inch travel Reign X with by DH wheels and tires all weekend. No problems pedaling goose but the reign does pedal extremely well. If your riding barrel, Grafton, etc, 7 inches is what I would want…..

mtbr member
    Ride what you got. There is no wrong answer. I have ridden the trails mentioned above with everything from a 8" Sinister to a RFX to a hardtail SS.

Mar 2005
    Thanks everyone for the info I'll be out riding that way 5/4 - 5/7 then back to vegas to ride bootleg

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinhawaiian
    Thanks everyone for the info I'll be out riding that way 5/4 - 5/7 then back to vegas to ride bootleg
    Well...don't leave us hanging, what bike are you bringing?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I make a trail bike work. Certainly cant wait to be on a 160mm bike however.

Mar 2005
    I'll be taking the nitrous. I figure as long as I'm on a bike ride ,I'll be happy
    and the nitrous has held up with 2 dh races and one super d at bootleg canyon so far .
    see ya on the trail

Members who have read this thread: 0