130 - 150mm suspension bike at Deer Valley.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016

130 - 150mm suspension bike at Deer Valley.

Has anybody ridden there 5-6" bike at Deer Valley. How was it? I'm planning on getting a new bike, either the sc 5010 or Bronson. I usually ride tidal wave, naildriver, twist and shout, and flagstaff mountain.

I will probably go to dv 6-10 times next summer and I really don't want to rent a bike that many times and I really don't like the scott genius (plus they don't have it in xl), hence taking my own rig. My regular riding is in cache valley, so I like the climbing ability of mid travel bikes. An thoughts?

mtbr member
    Yes I have, on a Yeti SB5c (127 mm travel) and it's no problem. If you go up for a day where all you do is ride double blacks, renting a dedicated downhill rig might be more fun. Otherwise, I really like Twist and Shout on the 5" travel bike. Upper Thieve's Forrest and Fire Swamp, I'd rather be on a downhill rig, or even a 27.5+!
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 11-05-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Frame Building Moderator
    130mm is more bike than you would want/need for anything but the double blacks (ie Thieves/Fire Swamp). If those aren't your thing, there is absolutely no reason to get a bike with a ton of travel.

The trails you mention are all XC trails, with the exception of Tidal Wave, which is a flow trail that you can (and I have though I prefer a little suspension to keep from getting beat up on the brake bumps) ride on a rigid bike and still jump all the jumps quite easily.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For the most part I prefer a good 150ish travel trail bike for Deer Valley (and Canyons bike park), that way I can ride up and down and not necessarily buy a lift ticket. However, July, August and September this year were so dry at the parks that the brake bumps sucked up all the travel I had making it hard to enjoy the trails without DH quantities of suspension. This was the first year that I rode my DH bike at the parks more than my trail bike.

The one thing I truly appreciated after a couple hours riding Tidal Wave was HSC adjustments.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks everyone. I felt like the Bronson would be enough but most people said the Bronson is not a park bike...except DV is not really a bike park compared to the rest of the world apparently (compared to whistler). It's always great to hear from the locals.

BTW I rode my hartail rockhopper on a flow trail and basically destroyed it. It also wasn't as fun. ( Unexpected air time, suspension did nothing, the wheels were all over the place and I broke a spoke somehow, untrued both wheels, loosend the disk brake, almost hit more than a few trees, you get the picture,(

Frame Building Moderator
    Hardtails are fine for flow trails. It sounds like yours was in incredibly poor condition mechanically, though.

That said, it sounds like you will enjoy something like the Bronson much more for what you want to do.

Don't get a DH sled.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Hardtails are fine for flow trails. It sounds like yours was in incredibly poor condition mechanically, though.

That said, it sounds like you will enjoy something like the Bronson much more for what you want to do.

Don't get a DH sled.

-Walt
    I'm sure hardtails are fine, mine just sucks. I also may have rode too aggressively than the bike could handle. It was $600 and I'm surprised it has held up. I have basically replaced every part except the fork and wheelset at this point. I don't really feel like dumping more into it because by the time I get the fork, wheelset, dropper post, I might as well get a bike with better geometry ( I am convinced my bike cannot lean because of the 71 degree ha). Either way, I'll keep my rochopper for commuting and xc racing then tear up the bronson on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    One thing to think about though is that I read that they are gonna make an "advanced" flow trail next spring/summer that's supposed to be steeper, bigger jumps, etc. Not positive but you might wanna check that out.

And it's not so much the travel, per se, as it is the head angle that would make a difference if you're gonna ride the lifts all day. 66* head angle is a helluva lot more fun there, regardless of travel, than say 68 or 69*.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc