= Guidance for trip to Moab =- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

= Guidance for trip to Moab =

Got a trip to Moab (The Maze) coming up and I am looking for some guidance Ref: set-up of bike etc. I ride a Turner 5Spot, RP3/Romic, TALAS RLC, XT Drive Train, Avid J 7's, Mavic 819's with Panaracer USTs. However I am looking to buy new tires, maybe MutanoRaptors? but wondered whether anyone had better suggestion for Moab?

Also, RP3 should be fine right?

Nick

user-created
    For general Moab riding, you want thick sidewalls with a wide footprint. MutanoRaptors offer neither of these things.

However, if you're just riding in the Natty Park, you can prolly get away with something lighter.

Maxxis Minion 2.35's would work well for you.

DOH!
    Remember that lots of slickrock riding will shred sticky/slow rebound rubber very quickly. My favorite for Moab are IRC Kujos because 1) they're cheap, 2) they have hella thick sidewalls and don't pinch easily, and 3) the hard duro rubber lasts, even on slickrock.

The knobs are also firm, short, and broad enough not to squirm around excessively on the slickrock. Minions are killer dirt tires, but they tend to wear too quickly in Moab, and leaning hard on the side knobs while on slickrock makes them squirm.

YMMV. Have fun.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    Minions are killer dirt tires, but they tend to wear too quickly in Moab, and leaning hard on the side knobs while on slickrock makes them squirm.
    That's why they sell a hard compound version. I don't have any problems with premature wear or knob-squirm.

Ok, maybe I get some knob-squirm, but that's really a personal issue doncha think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibod1000
    Also, RP3 should be fine right?
    While in Moab I've beat on my RP3 like a red headed step child on both my 5 Spot and my 6 Pack and never had a problem. Do take the Romic as a spare though, RP3's are known to become stuck down in the bottom of their compression stroke, which is easily remedied with the shock off of the bike.

As far as tires I tend to lean towards larger volume 2.3-2.5 with beefier sidewalls. Kenda Blue Groove (front) and Nevegal (front & rear), WTB Weirwolf (front) and Geax Sturdy (rear) are all tires I've had good success with.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Ok, maybe I get some knob-squirm, but that's really a personal issue doncha think?
    Indeed. As I said, YMMV.

When various online places were blowing-out 2.35 Minion 60D's for cheap last year, it might have been a great time to stock up...if only Maxxis' 2.35's weren't everyone else's 2.1's. 2.7 SRY Minions rock in the dirt, however. I definitely want to try their new dual-compound replacement for the old sticky rubber; should be awesome.

Aug 2004

= Thanks for guidance.... WTB guy suggested .. =

Hey gang, thanks for dialing in and offering the advice. I see that no one tyre does the job for 'Moab' seems like I shoould er towards the trail side rather than shredding SR as I am doing the Western Spirit guided trip for first experience.

Also called up WTB, really helpful (and knowledgeable) guy there said that for my route 'The Maze' he would either go with a Mutano 2.24 on r and 2.4 on front, or consider a more agreessive combo of Moto r and WeirWolf front? Being Bay Area based WTB is easier to find at store that will price match. Could get the Mutano combo for $40 flat!

Anway, got some time to choose so will check out the Maxxis and Kenda options. Thanks again.

p.s late post due to having a challenging 4 month old son, barely getting sleep let alone ride and surf.

Nick[CODE]
    Last edited by ibod1000; 01-15-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Aug 2004

= Already stoked.. =

Hey thanks, sounds like my dream ride is coming up in April. Thanks for advice on RP3 / Romic, as I am on guided tour (support wagon per day), I should be able get them to carry that stuff. Anyway, as per other reply, I am considering all tyre options. Also need to sus shipping of bike vs carry by plane.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    While in Moab I've beat on my RP3 like a red headed step child on both my 5 Spot and my 6 Pack and never had a problem. Do take the Romic as a spare though, RP3's are known to become stuck down in the bottom of their compression stroke, which is easily remedied with the shock off of the bike.

As far as tires I tend to lean towards larger volume 2.3-2.5 with beefier sidewalls. Kenda Blue Groove (front) and Nevegal (front & rear), WTB Weirwolf (front) and Geax Sturdy (rear) are all tires I've had good success with.

Aug 2004

= Meant to ask ... =

Meant to ask, do you use any of these 'black hardened steel' shock bolts? or original stainless?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG

Jul 2005
    I'm sure you know this, but once in the Maze, you're entirely on your own. No services, no water, no rescues. Take extra spokes, one more tube than you think you need, a space blanket, chain tool, compass -- all those things that you know you'll never need, but just might save your ass on a cold, lost night. Hope you have a great trip - post pics!

Members who have read this thread: 0