mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Wierd "help me find a bike" question

Looking for experienced opinions on a rather specific bike "need"...
    Here is what i want to do with it:
    1) huck around with my 5 yr old around the neighborhood
    2) learn how to manual/bunny hop properly as well as bone up on mtb specific skills... not really into park or crazy tricks, maybe a little jumping
    3) short rail trail rides with the kids maybe with some goofing off

should I be looking 20", 24" bmx or maybe a 26" dj? I am 6'1", 155 lbs fyi

Pro Crastinator
    if your kid is just going to be on a bmx bike as well, i'd suggest a 24" bmx...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd say a 26" dj. I'm 5'11 150 pounds and I love riding my p3 pro around my neighborhood doing manuals. Once the weather stays a bit nicer i'll be back out on the jumps too.

mtbr member
    If mountain biking is in the future, I'd look at a one size down 26" mountain bike. You can easily drop the seatpost for doing manuals and bunny hops, and still have plenty of fun on trails with it. You'll find them for a pretty good price, or get parts and make it a father/kid building experience. To me, it really boils down to how long you're going on the rails to trails stuff. If you're out there for an hour or more, you want the seatpost to be at a proper full height, and that could be difficult with a 24" or DJ bump.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. My little guy just got his SE Lil ripper today. What a sweet bike!

I have several pretty nice bikes for gravel/cx, mtb and road. So anything longer would be done on one of those. This would be for plauing around with the kids for the most part.

mtbr member
    Haro Steel Reserve 1.1 - DJ 26", rigid fork.

The only drawback is how they put a flat-ish bar with a spacered-up stem. A lot of guys have been switching out for a 3" rise mtb handlebar, or BMX stem and BMX cruiser handlebars 4"-5" rise.
    https://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/...serve-1-1-2015

or the STOLEN Zeke XLT 26"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Found this locally. Brand new. Might work.
    https://york.craigslist.org/bik/6068505116.html

mtbr member
    Okay 6 1 and 155 - sheesh!
    I had the same question a few years ago and I got a Trials bike. I know it is not normal (but I weigh 100 lbs more than you) to learn trials at age 47, but it is way more fun than riding along with the kids on my good bike.
    I had a dirt jumper (way fun but a pain to ride more than 30 minutes) and a very old vintage mountain bike (also way fun but how on earth did we ever ride those for real!) but after getting the trials bike (Norco Evolve) on Craigslist it has been awesome.

I have taken it to the skate park with him - he riding a scooter - and I am learning to get above the lip on the vert ramps. I am going to get a BMX bike (20in wheels 21 in top tube with 8 inch riser bar) shortly but the trials bike is good enough.

The more that I ride the Norco- the better rider I become so riding with the kids is not only fun but productive!

Just my two cents...
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!