Urban/DJ bikes - looking for something less pricey- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Urban/DJ bikes - looking for something less pricey

Im moving to downtown boston this september (into a teeny tiny apt) and am thinking that a good dJ/street/park bike would be a blast to cruise around on since theres little for hills and tons of little parks and small trails to pop on and off of.

Im looking for something like an STP or P2 but i really dont need an expensive bike with crazy componants. Im not going to abuse it any more than hopping over curbs and the like. Id like to buy something used if i could find it but im not sure what other bikes to even search for since im not that familier with the market.

The only thing im particularly looking for is an aluminum frame, and something on the larger size since im about 6'-1".

mtbr member
    Why do you want aluminum ?

Sounds like you don't really need a suspension fork. So, check out Haro Steel Reserve 1.1 and 2011 DK Asterik.

(Pic posts only, no discussion!): The Lineup of 2010-11 complete DJ/Urban/MTBMX bikes

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=707301

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    its nice for it being light and i dont need anything intended to absorb big impacts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourne84 View Post
    its nice for it being light and i dont need anything intended to absorb big impacts
    Aluminum tends to be better for bikes with suspension. For all-rigid urban riding, high end steel (e.g 4130 chromoly, Sanko, or Supertherm) is considered better ....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the suggestions so far all

id rather have front suspension, although i did not know that.

I know i said i dont need crazy componants but i really mean disc brakes, wheels and high end drive train or derailers or whatever.
    Id just like to experiment with a bike with this geometry without breaking the bank... unfortunately most big name companies seem to look at this market as a very specialized purposed rider. So their DJ/Park/Urban line starts at $1,000+.

Im looking for used so if i found a good deal on a chomoly rigid fork bike maybe id go for it, im honestly just looking for more brands/bike models so i can widen my search from STPs P-series and Haro Threads, im not feeling very picky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourne84 View Post
    im honestly just looking for more brands/bike models so i can widen my search from STPs P-series and Haro Threads, .... picky
    I made a whole thread to list all the options and gave you a link to it !

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    whoops, i think i mistook that for one of those profile info sections

thanks!

DIY all the way
    Currently you can get Fireeye frames and funn components at huge discounts from Chainreaction.

You could build up a complete bike for like 400-500$.

I just bought myself a Fireeye Shortfuse frame for 115$, I guess relatively nice frames don't come much cheaper than that.

Magura

mtbr member
    I'm no help as far as what bike or where to find it... but I ride around Boston all the time on my Cowan and also my BMX bike. This city is wicked fun to blast around in on a bike.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

bikerpilot
    Check departmentofgoods.com for the Kona Shonky. Only about $360 right now.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    your best bet, IMO, is to surf the craigslist/pinkbike classifieds and pick up something used.

mtbr member
    the ebay is a good place to look as well. I snagged an eastern nighttrain for $450, then the frame cracked, and Eastern replaced it.

ps, in my opinion, steel is a better material for riding in general, and the weight of a steel frame vs. aluminum is negligible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    your best bet, IMO, is to surf the craigslist/pinkbike classifieds and pick up something used.
    I should add that buying used bikes online is somewhat an art. There are good deals on nice bikes, you just have to be patient and wait for them. It helps to know what you are looking at. If you aren't sure of what you are buying, going used may not be the best way. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for all the input, i ended up finding a 2006 P3 for a decent price... im having a blast with it