Think a Turner RFX will make a jumper?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Think a Turner RFX will make a jumper?

urning an 08 RFX into a jumper??
    Hey all-

I also posted this onthe Turner section, but thought i might get more info over here. I picked up a medium mach 6, and moved most of my drive train over to the new frame. The pivot is a medium which I really like for all mountain riding, but with the big wheels and longer frame I'm now thinking about building the Turner into a dedicated jumper to ride at trailside in Park City. I'm just starting to ride jump parks so i am hoping to get some insight into whether or not building up the small RFX frame is a good starting point. The frame currently is just equipped with an Avalanche rear shock and a 2012 160mm float up front. I have a fifty mm stem and a 760 mm riser bar. Wheels are ZTR flow with DT Swiss 240 s hubs. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    IMHO, first thought, no not a jump bike. Dirt jumping is best done on a hard tail and is best on a frame designed to do just that.

I'm not familiar with Trailside in Park City. Is it more of a freeride thing? gravity driven slope style type course, with wood features and drops or more actual dirt jumps?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes that is exactly the type of riding. That's is one of the reasons I was thinking about trying to keep the RFX in the lip. But if even with stiffening the suspension up the consensus is that its not gonna be ideal to learn to jump on, I might put it up for sale and look for a 4x type set up full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdnorm View Post
    Yes that is exactly the type of riding. That's is one of the reasons I was thinking about trying to keep the RFX in the lip. But if even with stiffening the suspension up the consensus is that its not gonna be ideal to learn to jump on, I might put it up for sale and look for a 4x type set up full suspension bike.
    Yeah, you could do a full-sus 4x or slopestyle bike. But, I agree with cglasford: it's better to learn on a hardtail. That said, a 4x/slope bike can be almost a hardtail--the rear suspension behaves differently than on typical All Mountain bikes. It's for taking bigger hits... not for taking out small bumps and "sling shot" style cranking up climbs. Not sure if I'm explaining that right. It's not just an issue of psi in the shock--it's also how the whole suspension system is designed and tuned. Without riding your Turner, I really can't say....

I love my Transition Double for both cranking through the woods on xc trails....

... as well as hitting bike park stuff: