Aug 2006

so i bought a bike...

dont bash on me to hard, but i like it.
    " width="549">

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    how much?

Aug 2006
    $550 this local bike shop here where i live gave me 15% off and i get 10% off my first years worth of purchases.

Jun 2006
    What kind of fork is that? bty i would recomend a bash gard.

Portland, OR
    not too bad for what you paid for it. what kind of riding are you going to be useing this bike for ? looks like a lot of travel up front too, how much is it ?
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Aug 2006
    http://www.spinner-usa.com/sf_allmountain_edge.html
    those are the forks
    and ya im lookin into a bash guard... im going to change it to a 9 speed so any suggestions let me know

Aug 2006
    mainly park riding... check them out http://www.khsbicycles.com/

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8NoobYo
    im going to change it to a 9 speed so any suggestions let me know
    just so you know, if you want it made into a 9 speed, you're going to need a new rear derauller and casette. also you will need a new chain. the acera is a 7-8 speed RD. you could make it into just an eight speed. or SS might even be cool
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Aug 2006
    ya i want a SS but im thinking i might be hitting some trails maybe once in a blue moon with some buddies from work and stuff so i want to keep that gearing around.... but we'll see. Can you help me out with what bash guard i should get?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    just so you know, if you want it made into a 9 speed, you're going to need a new rear derauller and casette. also you will need a new chain. the acera is a 7-8 speed RD. you could make it into just an eight speed. or SS might even be cool
    Wrong. He needs a new cassette and shifter and chain.

A derailleur is a derailleur. It does what it's told by the shifter. I had acera on my Fuji, and it worked 9spd. So stfu noob.

Jun 2006
    E. 13 bash gard...verry strong and looks sweet ...i've landed on mine manny times and have had no problems AT ALL!!!http://www.e13components.com

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    If a derailleur will cover 8 speed, it will also cover 9 speed. 8 speed and 9 speed has the exact same overall spacing. The derailleur knows nothing, it's movement is dictated by the indexes in the shifter. If he has 7 speed, then he will need a new shifter, chain, and hub as well (unless it's a 7 speed cassette run on an 8 speed freehub with a spacer behind the cassette).

Rollin' the dice
    Quote Originally Posted by 907hucker
    E. 13 bash gard...verry strong and looks sweet ...i've landed on mine manny times and have had no problems AT ALL!!!http://www.e13components.com
    I'll second that one. Amazing bashguard.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    If a derailleur will cover 8 speed, it will also cover 9 speed. 8 speed and 9 speed has the exact same overall spacing. The derailleur knows nothing, it's movement is dictated by the indexes in the shifter. If he has 7 speed, then he will need a new shifter, chain, and hub as well (unless it's a 7 speed cassette run on an 8 speed freehub with a spacer behind the cassette).
    I tryed really hard to get an acera to work as a 9sp, it really sucked. it really doesnt perform right when put into a 9 speed. the acera being the big peice of crap it is, will just give him major problems if put into a 9 speed. he should just go pick up one of those Deore RD's from cambria. even if he wanted it just to be an 8 speed the acera still isnt going to work worth crap.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Wrong. He needs a new cassette and shifter and chain.

A derailleur is a derailleur. It does what it's told by the shifter. I had acera on my Fuji, and it worked 9spd. So stfu noob.
    yea, and how well did it work on your fuji those things suck, shimano altus and 105 have given me less problems than an acera. if I can make the altus shift like my XT and I cant make the acera work, theres some problems there
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

What's that smell?
    I've destroyed 3 (correctly torqued) superchargers, so I went back to a metal bash... Also, my short cage Shimano 105 works perfect on my 11-32. I highly recommend.

mtbr member
    Thats ****ing sweet, totally ****ing beats my first and only bike. tres sweet!

29er Geek
    KHS and Free Agent BMX are the same company....Nice bike dude.
    unityhandbuilt

Jun 2006
    you can make it a two speed...

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaman
    you can make it a two speed...

why...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Aug 2006
    ya why?

Jun 2006
    That frame looks a lot like the used Trek Bruiser I'm gettin today (if you read my topic about the bike I found, you'll see price and specs).

550 is a great price! Depending on what danger you put your crank in, you could probably wait a bit to get a bash guard. I know a guy who dirt jumps on a stock Hardrock sport, which is a not such a great set up, but anyway he has a crankset just like yours and has never busted it. He doesn't do any urban stuff, though . . .

I don't know anything about how to replace deraillers, and I don't have any experience replacing cassettes (I don't know everything you need to do either), but I can give you my opinion on this: If you're going to run a 3 chainring front derailler, screw 9 speed in the back. You'd just have to change out a handful of parts to give yourself 27 gears instead of 24 gears. If you run two chainrings in the front with a bash, then I think that 9 speed in the back is your call. If you run one chainring with a bash in the front, than I would probably go 9 speed.

A two speed would be a waste of time. You really need atleast 5 gears to notice a real difference. I know, because I've ridden a 10 speed (5 gears in back, 2 up front) bike. Some oldschool road bike, yes, but still, anything less than about 5 gears would not help you too much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Pff, I spent money to convert my DJ to 8 spd. Derailleur will take more abuse before it starts jumping on you.

I'd say all you need is a bash and a k-rad or holy roller for the front.

Nice bike BTW, esp for the price.

Members who have read this thread: 0