Rims, rims rims rims...- Mtbr.com
    I post too much.

Rims, rims rims rims...

Decisions decisions... I'm thinking of getting a new back rim for my 416, my MTX already has a flat spot on there. I was thinking of going atomlab Pimp with the torque nipples, any other suggestions in that price range? I'm looking for rim only.

I post too much.
    Would pimplites be any good too?

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Decisions decisions... I'm thinking of getting a new back rim for my 416, my MTX already has a flat spot on there. I was thinking of going atomlab Pimp with the torque nipples, any other suggestions in that price range? I'm looking for rim only.
    singletracks=the suck flatspotted mine (badly) 1st ride out on a kind of big abubuca.

look at atomlab stuff, i never flatspotted mine and it was only a little out of true after this a year ago: http://www.schmeowproductions.com/360cali.mov

PS- honestly don't worry too much about weight.

Meh.
    The MTXs are usually very durable rims. My buddy is like 200, and he's been beating the crap out of his S-Types (OEM MTX) riding urban and DJ. If you're flatspotting, it means you're not running enough pressure in your tires, and your bottoming your tires and smacking the rim on the ground.

Singletracks are kindof weak, but they hold up ok for 4x.

I post too much.
    I was running 55psi when I made that flat spot, and I didn't hit anything too hard either.

I'm probably going with the new pimps, just for the bling factor.

mtbr member
    Mavic EX 729's. Very strong and not super heavy. Have pinched flat a few times from not hopping high enough up stairs and theye are still fine (just a barely visible dent. 1-2mm)

I post too much.
    I was considering mavics too, I've had ex721's a whole summer of pretty hard riding and they held up perfectly, no flat spots and totally true. I'll consider 729's as well.

mtbr remember
    I'd get the Pimps over the 729's... I dig those torque nips... not to mention the rim is super solid I'm sure and dropped a few grams, but just the fact that it might look like an old HED aero wheel when built seems kind of odd, with the super tall profile... oh well. I wish the pimplites were wider and lower, similar to the older dhr's but with drillings for the torque nips.... right now I'm just running the GI dirts 24" rims on my street bike, and some Alex Supra BH's on my dh/fr bike.
    Schralp it Heavy.

I post too much.
    What about the pimplites though? Are they just as strong, but simply narrower?

Members who have read this thread: 0