mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Rigid vs Suspention forks for street.(from a bmx-er)

Sorry if this is a beaten to death subject but im terrible at searching on here.

I'm looking into to getting an Eastern MadDog or Eastern Thunderbird complete, but i'm kind of worried that since i'm so use to a bmx i'll hate the forks, and seeing that i'm a heaver guy (220lbs) i'm also worried they wont support me properly and be constantly depressing when i start to sprint.

I kind of dig the idea of not exploding my joints on large stair sets but once again if they dont hold up with my weight ill bottom them out and hurt still.

Also what are some good parts sites (like a mtb version of Albes) to look at more parts and such. For some reason the only thing ive found with google seems like a fake or outdated mail order crap.

dirt rules
    Rigid is a lot more durable, and a lot cheaper. Plus it's lighter.
    Unfortunately, there's no good "one-stop-shop" for urban mtb parts...
    Your best bet is google for the stuff you want, and get it where you can find it.

mtbr member
    I too am an ex BMX/freestyle rider (old school actually, I stopped racing in the early 90s) and just went through the same process you are now pondering the exact same things you are.

As sittingduck said, rigid is a lot more durable (no moving parts), a lot cheaper, and a lot lighter but the ride can be a lot smoother with shock forks. I'm pushing 200 lbs at 6' 2". I ended up getting a 2010 Specialized P.1, stock. I love the forks! I do not experience any depressing other than when I land or am messing around doing some flatland crap. They take the edge off obstacles like stairs nicely and do save my 40 year old joints.

Keep in mind pretty much every set of shock forks out there have some kind of tension adjusting mechanism. If they are too sensitive due to your weight you can make them a bit less so.

Looking for components is a hell of a lot of cross referencing and research. If there is a local bike shop with some DJ, freeride, or even DH bikes around where you live go in and see about a test ride to get a feel for this style of bike. Tell them about your concerns. Even if they are not jumpers they can at least (hopefully) give you some sort of advice.

Also, bump around here and pinkbike.com in the DJ sections. I found this and that forum invaluable in making my decisions.

Members who have read this thread: 0