New to urban riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New to urban riding

Hey guys I just recently started playing on ledges, stairs, etc around my campus and today I got a flat. I was jumping onto a bench and my rear tire hit it hard enough to give me a flat. For this kind of riding, what tire pressure should I be running?

Also, what is a good fork for this? I keep bottoming mine out on ~5 ft drops. I do a good bit of XC as well so hopefully it can be adjustable somehow.

How big of a difference will tires make? My Bontrager Earl 2.4's are big and I was wondering if a more street specific tire would help me any?

One more: Any tips on tire tap 360's? I can do a 180, land and ride away but would love to be able to land on my rear tire and keep going around.

Ok, one more: When you guys manual, do you keep a finger on the rear brake?

Any tips anywhere would be really appreciated. I am so glad I started riding!

corey

mtbr member
    Nice to hear another rider doing some street. I run my pressure at 65 and it holds up well to pinch flats. I run rigid forks and don't do drops. look for some gold labels, marz z1s or 4x. Kenda make some good tyres and I don't go wider than 2.1 in front.

3 tire taps I'd carve into it with a tad more whip than a 180. when landing I get squaty over the rear w/ arms locked and my head/shoulders looking into the spin. That'll get you carried the remaining 180 you need. When learning manuals you can feather the brake to get your front lower while you keep low and back over the rear tyre.

Only tip I got is keep riding and you'll progress. When working on a trick, commitment is key. Half cocked will get you hurt real quick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    brakeless
    i run 80 psi rigid but still do drops
    practice what serveem said sounds perfect

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    i run 80 psi, i dont really enjoy big drops to flat, and i dont keep a finger on the brak during manuals.

Aug 2007
    I am running 100 psi, DJ 3 fork and I do a lot of drops.

Apr 2004
    What ServeEm said.

I'll add that I do keep a finger on the brake lever when manualing and hope to eventually get good enough to not need that 'crutch'.

I also run the max air pressure (65psi) in 2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers and I weigh 140. If I were > 20 lbs heavier I'd run the pressure higher just to be safe.

I post too much.
    High pressure is good because pinch flats are not.

I do feather the rear brake on manuals, occasionally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Whoa...I didn't know I could run that kind of PSI w/o worry of blowing the tube, thanks guys.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscheip
    Whoa...I didn't know I could run that kind of PSI w/o worry of blowing the tube, thanks guys.
    It'll save your rims too

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscheip
    lol, i pumped up an old tube to see how much it would hold till it blew, and i got about 200PSI and there was a small hole and no more air would go in

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    This is my bike, almost never bottom the fork, I try to make sure the rear wheel touches down first on drops, unless I am gapping something the try and set them down together. If, you need to practice this technique find a height you're comfy with and do a low speed wheelie drop, like out of a pickup bed, get used to motion so you can deliberatley do it at any height. I use 2.4 HolyRollers w/XC high volume tubes, not freeride tubes. The rear has 60-65psi and the front 50-55psi, I am 6' and weigh 220. I never pinch on drops, but if I case a ledge really really hard, it is almost guaranteed I will pinch. If you keep pinching with the high pressures, and don't mind the weight, use the freeride tubes. Don't use slime tubes they won't work for a pinchflat. When doing wheelies or manuals you should have a finger on the rear brake. When rotating keep turning your head, your body will try to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0