mtbr member
    May 2011

New Bike - Brakes aren't the best though

Hey guys! I just picked up a Specialized P3 this weekend and so far I'm loving it... very fun bike. My only complaint though has to be the brakes. I have a Scott Genius 720 and a Gambler 720 and the brakes on both of those feel so much better. Yes, I know both of those are 4k bikes vs 1k so the components aren't going to be as good. My question is what would ya'll suggest for an upgrade for the P3 brakes?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My thought on DJ brakes is to only have the rear brake and all it needs to do is stop the wheel from turning. I honestly have the cheapest disc brake I could find on my jump bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree... I'm not that worried about the front brake and will probably take it off but the back brake is really tough to operate with 1 finger like both my bigger bikes. I get more stopping power with less effort which I feel more in control with. So I'd like to upgrade the back but I don't know with what.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaan View Post
    I agree... I'm not that worried about the front brake and will probably take it off but the back brake is really tough to operate with 1 finger like both my bigger bikes. I get more stopping power with less effort which I feel more in control with. So I'd like to upgrade the back but I don't know with what.
    Maybe the brake just needs new brake pads in it. And re-lube the inside of the cable housing.

My Avid BB7 mechanical brake works awesome. Absolutely no need for a "better" "stronger" (hydraulic etc.) brake on a DJ bike, unless you just want one. ; )