Z1 Light creaking?

Hi guys,
    I don't have a turner, but you guys seems pretty darn resourceful, so here's my question:

I got a 06 z1 light eta on my 6.6 with a canecreek xc flush headset, and when i go off any jump, or lift the front wheel and slam it down, there's a loud "crack" noise. Also, if i put the bike vertical, and bounce on the rear wheel, the noise comes up.
    If I just firmly compress the fork, there's no sound. Additionally, if I remove the front wheel and bounce the on the rear as I mentioned above, no sound.
    I've gone in and greased all the parts of the headset except the cups (if this were the issue.. i would think i'd hear something from just braking as well), and the front wheel axle and bolts. The bearings in the headset also spin smoothly.

Before I open up the fork, curious to see if anyone had issues with the cryofit of the sanctions/crown, or maybe something loose in the internals. Unfortunately I don't have a spare 20mm hub (hadley) or fork around to do addtional tests.

Thanks!

No, that's not phonetic
    What if you took the fork out of the bike, wedged the steerer someplace (wrapped in a rag and put in a vice, between some boards in a deck, etc) and reefed on the legs? You would eliminate the rest of the bike as the culprit that way.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Yeah I have no vice, but I was just thinking of taking the fork off, and just slam the wheel on the ground to see if anything came up.
    I did try twisting the legs with the wheel off.. but i dunno if i'm really exerting that much force.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    First read this http://www.intensecycles.com/images_..._interface.pdf if you have not seen it, some very importwnt info about intense and cane creek combo!!

Then

A slight twist on what cheese said... Remove the fork and just lay it foreward/front side down with a rag etc under the dropouts and steerer end. Now just apply pressure straight down at the crown. You can flip the fork over and repeat with the ends stacked on 2X4's or books. Any creak or movment at the crown/steerer/stantions will be very evident.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ........it's likely the crown/ steerer interface. Mine does this also, it is a pressed fit & is not completely uncommon to develop some noise. Call the Zocchi tech, they will likely warranty it.

I took off my fork right now, put it on blocks, and pretty much pressed down on the sanctions, legs, crown with all my weight.. but no creaking.

Must be .. the cups, or maybe the hadley hub? Looks like a nice weekend of disassembly coming up :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    I took off my fork right now, put it on blocks, and pretty much pressed down on the sanctions, legs, crown with all my weight.. but no creaking.

Must be .. the cups, or maybe the hadley hub? Looks like a nice weekend of disassembly coming up :-)
    ...keep us updated, but my money is still on the crown/ steerer interface. You likely cannot replicate the leverage with the fork off the bike.

No, that's not phonetic
    And like davep said, don't forget to check for one of these:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    wow, I thought the whole point of 1.5 standard was to prevent stuff like that from happening. I guess that pic really shows why Chris King is a good choice for headsets.

I occassionally get a creak up front on my RFX. I run an '06 Z1 Light ETA as well. Hmm...

A quick ckeck is to:
    1. turn the bike upside down,
    2. remove the wheel, stand in front of the fork, and put a foot on each handle bar to hold the bike steady.
    3. grab each leg at the dropouts and pull one, while pushing the other. then vs versa

This puts most of stress on the stantion/crown interface. It's good for a quick check to see if that is where your creak is comming from. I had a very creaky old Fox Vanilla, and that was how I pinpointed it -thanks to some advice from people on this board and people I ride with.

I solved the problem by placing a small bead of loctite on the seam where the stantions went into the crown (while the bike was upside down). I worked the legs back and forth (like I listed above above) and then let the bike sit (upside down) overnight. The creak went away the next day. Be careful with loctite though -if it gets into any moving parts on a fork -you're screwed.

Not saying this is your problem at all, but might be worth a check.

mtbr member
    Hmmm... very interesting. I'm experiencing some creaking emanating from the front of my bike too and wrote it off as a Thomson stem issue, but reading this I'm going to check out my Z1 Light to see if it isn't the culprit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...keep us updated, but my money is still on the crown/ steerer interface. You likely cannot replicate the leverage with the fork off the bike.
    It definately has been an issue on past versions of the Z1 with cryofit stantions. FYI I was able to replicate the noise VERY easily woth my fork flat on the ground, infact, I could feel it move...need more leverage..put a foot on the crown and carefully shift your weght to that foot.

No need to loc-tite the crown interface...send it back to Marz, if they can replicate the creak, they will replace the uppers (within reasonable warranty timeframe)

Update...

I'm still not sure where the audible creak is coming from... but I felt some lateral slop this afternoon.
    I took off my fork, grabbed the steerer tube and the sanction and twisted side to side.. and there it was. Couldn't hear the creak, but definitely felt some movement. Strangely, there was no movement if i pressed/pushed from the front.

So.. I am sending an email to Marz.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...save yourself some time & call instead

TC3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    And like davep said, don't forget to check for one of these:

hey, that's my bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm still not sure where the audible creak is coming from... but I felt some lateral slop this afternoon.
    I took off my fork, grabbed the steerer tube and the sanction and twisted side to side.. and there it was. Couldn't hear the creak, but definitely felt some movement. Strangely, there was no movement if i pressed/pushed from the front.

Hi unfluid one,

Can you be more specific as to were you found the movement? Was it at the stantion/crown junction or the steerer tube/crown junction . The latter doesn't sound good at all... I have a creak in my Z1 Light right now, if there is the possiblity of a sloppy fit at your steerer/crown junction you can bet that I will be checking my fork out as well. That is the last thing you'd want to work loose.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Put a different fork (any fork) on the bike and then do what you were doing earlier to make the sound. If it doesn't happen, you know it's the fork. If it does, it's something else.

i think it's the steerer tube/crown interface..
    I was actually trying to find some other creaking on my bike.. maybe the lower pivots or BB.. and i was leaning the bike over on its side and stepping on one of the pedals, and I heard this groaning from the front end. At first I thought it was the sanction rubbing against the seal.. but my 02 Z1 with a QR wasn't making this sound so somethig was wrong.
    I thought maybe it was the lower bearing on my headset.. pressing in that area from the front didn't make the noise, only from side to side pressure.
    I took off my fork, pushed/pulled by holding onto the steerer and sanction and crown, and felt some sort of movement. There was some kind of rubbing/ticking feel there.

I just talked to the Marzocchi tech... sending in the fork for them to take a look, They said it would take 2-3 weeks. GEEZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Put a different fork (any fork) on the bike and then do what you were doing earlier to make the sound. If it doesn't happen, you know it's the fork. If it does, it's something else.
    Yeah.. I was thinking that, but this is my one and only fork (technically I have an old hardtail, but the fork seems stuck in the headset.....). Once the Marz comes back, I will check for that. I could be running into 2 different issues (fork slop and headset creaking), or
    they could be both from the fork.

On this note... I notice they made some changes to the 36Talas this year, increasing travel, and the bottom out adjustment, etc. The 66 Light has also increased to 180 travel, but I think the a-c height is the same or is lowered. While the 66 is around a pound heavier, I heard it is burlier all around.

What's the choice for 07 between these two? I do the normal trail rides, but also dirt jump, land hard, and slam through the steepies. I need a travel adjust to get up the climbs.. and the RS Lyrik is too new for me to throw $1G+ on it.

Thanks~

Members who have read this thread: 0