mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XT vs 990/980 Cassette?

Bent another xt cassette. Considering switching to Sram 990 or 980.

mtbr member
    Last cassette was a M760 XT 11-34 hate it - noisy as hell from day one no matter what or how I try to tune the RD. Slapped on a PG970 I got with the build kit for my RIP9, silent as a lamb works like a charm. Sold the PG970 after 2 weeks to a riding buddy who totally destroyed the PG970 he had and was supposed to buy a new one when I went to CO - forgot and ran the XT. Looking to get a new cassette now and I will be getting the PG 980 & 990.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

banned
    The red spider 990 is the first cassette I've owned that I haven't bent and it could just be this particular riding schedule, but it seems to have outlasted my previous ones.

If you have an alloy carrier, stay away from the 980. I have to find the pictures I found of the spider, but it's not suitable.

Found it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

outclassed by his bike

Sram

Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    I've had all three. On the 980 for over a year now. The SRAMs are far and away less prone to bending. I see no reason to buy a Shimano cassette.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I bent a shimano cassette like 3 years ago, I think right after that I tried a SRAM. It lasted only a few months, completely unacceptable. I always go for the 11-32 shimano XTs, they last a decent amount of time, and I never have any trouble from them. I see no point in going for a 34, that's redundant when you have a granny gear...even though I don't use the granny gear.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316

i would really consider trying out the new cs-m770. that thing is is bomb proof

Fragile
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The red spider 990 is the first cassette I've owned that I haven't bent
    I agree with Jerk_Chicken. I bent 2 XT's in a month, and switched to the 990. I think I am over a year here with this one, and will be one of the first cassettes I've replaced in a while due to wear and not because it was broken.
    "It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.'"

-- Judge Smails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I bent a shimano cassette like 3 years ago, I think right after that I tried a SRAM. It lasted only a few months, completely unacceptable. I always go for the 11-32 shimano XTs, they last a decent amount of time, and I never have any trouble from them. I see no point in going for a 34, that's redundant when you have a granny gear...even though I don't use the granny gear.
    Hmm. Yeah, I'm puzzled by all the strong testimonials for the PG990 (Red Spider) SRAM's. My experience is more like Jayem's. I've bent the teeth on the three largest cogs several times in the past year on my PG990. The XT's on my other bike never bend. I eventually replace them after 2-3 years from wear... but they have never bent.

I'm going back to XT.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i would think after 2-3 running the same cassette that it would probably be worn, i change cassettes after 1 year

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Last cassette was a M760 XT 11-34 hate it - noisy as hell from day one no matter what or how I try to tune the RD. Slapped on a PG970 I got with the build kit for my RIP9, silent as a lamb works like a charm.
    interesting. i switched from a 970 to an XT, and did not notice a difference in noise.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

what...?
    convert back to 8sp.
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

mtbr member

Hope

maybe I had one that shouldn't have passed QC, but managed to sneak through the cracks. I dunno, all I know is the fuggin thing has been noisy since day one and all I did was switch to a SRAM PG 970 and the noise just went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    interesting. i switched from a 970 to an XT, and did not notice a difference in noise.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Shimano XT gets the tick from me over Sram 990.

But even more important a Shimano XTR chain will outlast a Sram chain three ttimes longer for stretch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I bought Shimano

Had to replace cassette last week. For what it's worth, LBS recommended Shimano XT over SRAM (not sure what model). Their view was that XT is harder and better wearing than SRAM. Got XT chain too. No noise. Very smooth. Happy customer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I bought Shimano

Had to replace cassette last week. For what it's worth, LBS recommended Shimano XT over SRAM (not sure what model). Their view was that XT is harder and better wearing than SRAM. Got XT chain too. No noise. Very smooth. Happy customer.

Members who have read this thread: 0