xpost: BB7 set uo for dummies, like me!- Mtbr.com
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

xpost: BB7 set uo for dummies, like me!

many have asked how to properly set up a avid bb7 brake lately in the brake forum, here and in pm's so i thought id help out. as far as ive seen, this is THEE guide to gettin proper feel and modulation out of a very fine brake system and ive used it with superior success on aprox 200 bikes. this only works for the avid bb7 so if ya try and morph this onto another system, such as a hydro brake, i cant be held responsible for the outcome or yer stupidity. ive properly prepared for the creation of this guide with a case of four peaks brewing company's 6% kiltlifter scottish amber ale and a few hits off the crack pipe. so without further auh-dooo.....

1) start with clean or new pads. clean the rotors with alchohal and never touch with skin.
    1a) rotors must be true to within .005" on a dial caliper or damn close to it.
    1b) you must have avid speed dial levers for this to work. shimanos with inner adjusters are close but will never do the job as well. ever. get it? never! and yeah, i forgot 1a and 1b in the beginnin and wasnt about to re # the whole damn thing for the likes of you. so friggin get over it.
    2) use locktite on all older caliper and rotor mount bolts, perferably blue 242.
    3) loosen caliper adapter bolts slightly and rotate up in the direction of rotors rotation and tighten. 80 ip for you torque fans.
    4) loosen caliper mount bolts slightly so caliper can move side to side.
    5) back out red pad adjusters fully.
    6) turn inner pad adjuster in fully then back out 10 indexed clicks.
    7) turn outer pad adjuster in till it bottoms out on rotor. do not force this step. rotor should not move in caliper at this time but caliper may move slightly on its adapter.
    8) tighten caliper mount bolts. 80 ip if ya like.
    9) with a cable in yer lever and housing run to the caliper (all new or in good shape and at proper length ill assume) turn barrel adjuster in full.
    10) if yer caliper has some miles on it, it might be nice to dab the cable pinch bolt with some wet chain lube, grease or anti sieze.
    11) use a 4th hand tool to take up any slack in the cable and tighten the pinch bolt. 80 ip, see a pattern here? as in step 7, do not force this. if ya see movement in the acctuator arm, go back to step 5.
    12) grab a handfull of lever and check for cable slack. there should be none. if this is a new cable/housing install, give it 4 hard pulls to seat and stretch everything into opperational position then go back to step 11.
    13) back both pad adjusters out fully.
    14) turn inner pad adjuster in about 4 indexed clicks, pull lever 3 times, spin wheel and check for rub. repeat this step till any rub is heard. once rub is home, back it out 1 click at a time till it goes away then 2 or 3 more for clearence. i go 3 most times.
    15) repeat step 14 for the outer pad adjuster. with a ear close to the rotor, not that close dummy!, you should hear zero rub of rotor to pads.
    16) lever throw should suit yer style. too tight? back out the outer pad adjuster 1 click at a time till feel is reached, not the inner pad.
    17) now that both brakes are set and workin, see how 1 lever feels nice n stiff and the other feels like ass? no probs! thats just a good short front cable vs that long rear cable and all its housing compression. rectify this and modulation feel 1/2 turn at a time of the speed dial knob on yer levers. start with the front knob turned in to soften up the leverage ratio of said cable to match the rears feel. a 1/2 turn goes a long way so take yer time.
    17a) see that little allen head on the back of the actuater arm? thats a preload adjuster for the spring tension on the caliper. turn it in to suit additional lever feel. i like mine tight baby! thanx to cuthroat for the memory check!
    18) i like to trim my cable to about 2" so i can service and re-tune the system several times before replacement is needed. make damn sure it doesnt touch or get in the rotor and dont forget yer cable end.
    19) take up slack in pad wear by repeating these steps.
    20) now go ride and dig yer new brake feel!

wonderin if yer avid pads are old and dead? measure with a micrometer. pad material and backing plate should read no less than 3.00mm. i replace em at 25% or 3.25mm just to be safe. a new avid pad is about 4.00mm.

there been some good info on pad type lately. ill try and find it so we can include it here as a reference sometime soon.
    you can start here.
    and then go here.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 08-29-2006 at 04:18 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

involuntary dismounter
    Thanks man! I'll be putting these on the new rig...if i ever get the damn thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    and yeah, i forgot 1a and 1b in the beginnin and wasnt about to re # the whole damn thing for the likes of you. so friggin get over it.
    getting over it will be hard...but i think i can do it...it may take some time...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Bite Me.
    With non-Avid levers, I'll also tweak the spring tension adjuster to vary the lever feel as well. Never needed to with the SD7s but the XTR levers benefitted from it. Good job Cactus -thanks. The BB7s are a great simple system.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

we gotta stop meetin like this harriet. people will talk. hehe. glad itll help ya out, snookums.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    With non-Avid levers, I'll also tweak the spring tension adjuster to vary the lever feel as well. Never needed to with the SD7s but the XTR levers benefitted from it. Good job Cactus -thanks. The BB7s are a great simple system.
    good call fish boy. i forgot to mention that. i normally toss a good handfull of preload on that spring for a solid lever feel. ill fix that right up!
    No, I'm NOT back!

involuntary dismounter
    we gotta stop meetin like this harriet. people will talk. hehe. glad itll help ya out, snookums.
    clearly we have the same unfortunate sense of humor...or lack thereof!

as for the brakes...they've been sitting in a box in my living room for MONTHS! some day i may even get the freakin' frame to put them on!

Bite Me.
    Even better - Blue Sky Cycling has the full kit, two caliper sets with 160mm rotors, SD7 levers, and an XTR cable/housing set for 185 clams. Pretty hard to beat.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

wow. thats good!
    No, I'm NOT back!

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Even better - Blue Sky Cycling has the full kit, two caliper sets with 160mm rotors, SD7 levers, and an XTR cable/housing set for 185 clams. Pretty hard to beat.
    pricepoint:

brakes: 64.98 each (06 bb7)
    SD7: 24.98
    XTR cable: 14.98

total:

nevermind. i saw the error of my ways. man thats a good deal!
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 08-29-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    wow - price match time. The price has really come down on these - for a while you couldn't get them for less than 70 - 80 buck per caliper. Consider the 203mm rotors up front too, tons of power and modulation over the 160s.

mtbr member
    I've got a set of BB7s with Avid Ultimate Levers with Flak jacket cables (all used but in good cond) I've been thinking about selling. Anybody interested PM me. I need to take out an ad or 2, as I have a growing pile of spare parts I could unload.

wheres my red light bulb when i need it? gotta make some cash fast or the homegrown has got to go before utah. if i had some, yer pm box would have my name in it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

the only issue with our humor is half the time folks dont know were bein silly and get all butt hurt or just dont find us funny. i got over that last bit a long time ago and now im just here to entertain myself through this life. long live dry humor! let the sissys lube theirs.

ps: hows about those dbl entandras (sp?) huh? huh???? gawd i love this stuff!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dude, don't you dare sell the homegrown. I've had mine since '96, and while I occasionally try to justify selling it to pay for one of my other bike purchases, one ride on it makes me regret ever thinking about it. I just love that bike, for sentimental reasons and otherwise. Great frames.

Kidneys will fetch more than an old hardtail, anyway.

wowsa! watch yer backs in the brake time forum!

as i mentioned, this is a cross post from the brake time forum in response several discussions weve had in here over the past several months, to roytas post along with others in the brake area and a pm that followed from another guy. i built this to offer some help to anyone in need and posted it with hopes of somethin for anyone to use to their benifit, not just the homers. in typical turner fashion, we had fun with it and got way side tracked which is just fine by me.

however i got lambasted over there. seems theres some hierarchy i wasnt aware of and i made 2 guys (at last and final check) super uncomfortable. not exactly sure why im tellin ya all this other than im totaly blown away by the attitude diffs between the 2 areas of mtbr. id say we have it pretty good here personality wise.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ive been lookin at this situation d, and im still watin for the money tree to bare fruit so utah is possible and comfortable. i have 3 other guys countin on me to make this trip so i gotta consider options in light of my current situation. if it was just me i might end up bailin and keepin the bike. but its not.

i love my '02 homegrown frame and all its 17" 2.5 lb goodness with super low miles and nearly all new parts like a 8spd xt/xtr drivetrain. i hate the thought of givin up its 23 lbs total weight even with deore/223 wheels and a stack of bonty racelite parts, all new as well. ill miss its unused avid sl ti brakeset but i need the cash so it looks like ill either part it out or sell it in whole on ebay.

this is the consumate hardtail and its made me smile big time. my fave overall h/t ever owned or ridden but with the flux im gonna be ok. yer right pal. its a shame to let it go but its almost the least ridden bike im willin to sell besides my winter bike which wont bring in enough money.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    As an aside: for those of us/you who dislike the feel of the sloppy Avid levers (at least the non-super spendy ones), or just plain don't like SpeedDial.....

Paul Love levers. Accept no substitute. Paired with a good stainless cable, and full housing, they feel like buttah. Never had problems with the lack of return springs in the levers, and *love* how easy it is to get them to have no slop whatsoever. Whithout resorting to shims or anything like that.

I never had any issues getting the front and rear to feel the same, never needed or used the SpeedDial feature. And this was running three bikes with them, front and rear, for a few years before swapping to hydraulic setups.

CC: good job; a few steps I think are extra, but to each their own, YMMV, etc., etc.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    a few steps I think are extra, but to each their own, YMMV, etc., etc.
    i hear ya scrub. 1 thing i tried to keep in mind here was that were dealin with alot of folks with limited wrench time. that bein said, as i learned this technique i found it easyer to do it in this way thusly eliminating some variables till i could master it, then i modified a bit from there.

good news on the pauls levers. ive liked his stuff from the early days. whats "YMMV" anyway? You Make My life Valuable?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    good news on the pauls levers. ive liked his stuff from the early days. whats "YMMV" anyway? You Make My life Valuable?
    your mileage may vary. yeah, i far preferred the paul's levers. my first set of afid mechs came as a set with some SD levers, and i never used it, so splurged for a a couple sets of love levers.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Old man on a bike

... and if we just ...

as i mentioned, this is a cross post from the brake time forum in response several discussions weve had in here over the past several months, to roytas post along with others in the brake area and a pm that followed from another guy. i built this to offer some help to anyone in need and posted it with hopes of somethin for anyone to use to their benifit, not just the homers. in typical turner fashion, we had fun with it and got way side tracked which is just fine by me.

however i got lambasted over there. seems theres some hierarchy i wasnt aware of and i made 2 guys (at last and final check) super uncomfortable. not exactly sure why im tellin ya all this other than im totaly blown away by the attitude diffs between the 2 areas of mtbr. id say we have it pretty good here personality wise.
    You didn't make me uncomfortable and I really doubt you made Shiggy uncomfortable. You just don't seem to handle comments very well at all. I'd hate to see what you do if you really got some hard criticism (lambasted? come on...). You go off quicker'n a pair of honeymoon panties! I did get curious, however, and had to come over here to Turner to see why they need so much help with such a simple item as an Avid BB brake...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MTBR in association with Thin Skin Productions proudly presents "You Be The Judge"!

yeah, lookin back i coulda been less of a girly man and told em both to go pound hot sand then invite em to dinner at the house and meet the family. but i didnt.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 08-30-2006 at 05:48 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    MTBR in association with Thin Skin Productions proudly presents "You Be The Judge"!
    20 lashes with a stretched cable, and 5 extra for shiggy for being a butthead

CC- you can setup my brakes anytime, and I'll bring the crack pipe!

im just tryin to understand what the hell i said in there to piss them off. maybe not my best work but pretty solid just the same. im sure theyre good guys and perhaps i have a lashin comin to me that i just dont get yet.

hows those hotel reservations commin? 2 from iowa, 1 from az is likely and then you. do we need to fill it up with 2 more on the floor? i need yer email addy again too. drop me a line pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    I have on my Surly 1x1 the avid mech's - BB7 [F] and BB5 [R].....I use old XT V-brake levers and while I didn't go thru the setup steps you describe in your initial post, I got them pretty much dialed in. I even turned my BB5 into a 7, by discarding the red dummy cap on the outside of the caliper, dremmeling in a slot for a flathead screwdriver - so I now have the ability to adjust the pad in/out on both sides, just like on the BB7!

But anyway, I've noticed that while the lever feel and throw on the front BB7 [the back BB5 isn't grabby at all, it just works nice] is very nice and centered, the abruptness of grip on the rotor is quite edgy - it feels waay to strong and grippy and causes the fork to dive instantly.....I know, l know...but, is this the way BB's are spozed to feel, or is there anything I can do to reduce the grabbiness of the caliper?

yer mod to the bb5 is pure genius! i didnt even know that was possible man. 1 free poopy head pass for you!

if ya ask me, dialin out the grabbyness is all in the levers ability to have some kinda leverage adjustment. yer xt levers should have a degree of this with the little 1/4 moon shaped clips located in the lever body. just pull em and look inside. i think theres 2 in the older ones and by removin 1 or both from the front lever it might help some. the best way is still gonna be a sd lever of some sort such as the avids, my personal fave, xtrs have a good dial inside and the pauls work well accordin to scrub up above. let me know how this shakes out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    I'll give that a try - forgot about that, it'd been so long since my v-brake dayzzz....

Members who have read this thread: 0