mtbr member
    Apr 2004

xcguys most excellent road trip

I left the Homers in Moab heading south towards Blanding then over to Bridges Nat'l Monument. If you've never explored this area of Utah you should.

First, a pic of Fisher Tower on the way into Moab. Then west of Blanding looking out from on top of Comb Ridge. I then went south again towards a spectacular road that practically drops off a cliff down to Monument Valley.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Moki Dugway is a highway that turns into a dirt road that just drops straight down. Coming at it from the south you can't even see a road. It was early morning, the lighting was fantastic. I parked in the area just past the Moki Dugway sign and walked about 25 yards to the edge. Sheeit, folks, one minute I'm walking on solid rock and the next...1000' straight down.

Hint: in the last pic the road curves to the far left before it starts climbing Moki Dugway. Do you see a road?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Goosenecks State Park. More like a huge parking lot overlooking these bends in the San Juan River. Probably one of the most photographed spots in the West.

Then I went up over to Bridges Nat'l Monument. Out of hundreds of shots I'll just show you a few. You can do an entire canyon bottom hike from bridge to bridge to bridge (bridges are water eroded structures, arches are wind eroded) or drive around a loop on top and hike down to each bridge individually. That's what I did.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's Kachina Bridge. Real massive and still growing. They don't tell you this but if you walk "over there to the left" and scramble up a sandy pitch you come across an alcove full of pictographs (?) and some 800 year old structures. There's been a bit of erosion caused by modern man's visiting this area but the info at the site says from the early 1800s most visitors have been real respectful of the area. Probably because anybody who visited there "back in the day" had a feel for what it took to survive in such primitive conditions, just as they themselves had to.

Then I drove over to the Needles District of Canyonlands and hiked trails that traversed the slickrock. Included is a pic of a bush growing out of the rock that I've been photographing for 10 years. Still alive, still healthy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had done a "side trip" down from Bridges west on the same highway as in the movie "Thelma and Louise". White Canyon parallels the hwy and you can access some slot sections pretty easily. I say easily meaning the parking lot is right off the highway but access down into the canyon itself ranges from difficult to "you need ropes and experience".

I had scrambled down to the bottom about 9 years ago and it didn't seem like any big deal. This time I peered down in and said "I can't believe I ever did that". The pic of me taking a pic doesn't do the steepness and gnarliness of the pitch justice. You're not seeing the bottom in that pic, it's way down further. A hundred year flood washed enormous amounts of timber into the canyon a few years ago and now you just can't get through. Before I'd made it to The Black Hole but didn't try to swim it. Now it's virtually impossible.

It's going to take a thousand year flood to dislodge the log jam. Maybe that will never happen and the White Canyon hike will be just a distant memory.

You might be parked right next to a hwy but when you're down at the bottom of White Canyon you are a looooong way from aid if needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    When you drive back out of Needles you pass by a climbing area (Indian Creek) which features the finest crack climbing in the world. What do I know, I don't climb, but here's an example of what these guys have to do to even get to one of the crack routes.

Check out the commitment just to get up to the bottom of the crack, then the vertical distance to get to the top. The trucks in the mini-parking lot all had Colorado plates.

And further up the road, near Newspaper Rock, there's a short hike up a creekbed to this tower that sits precariously unattached to the wall. How much longer will it stand?

More pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:51 AM.

tg
    mtbr member

Cool pics

Love that part of Utah !

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. My grandparents named Virginia Park (not on many maps, since it's currently a research area closed to hikers) in the Needles, and were instrumental in having Canyonlands made a national park. I still haven't made it down there, myself.

Moosehead
    Spectacular shots xcg. May borrow one for a screensaver if you don't mind. Sounds like your shoulder is OK?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Excellent post & pics!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Spectacular shots xcg. May borrow one for a screensaver if you don't mind. Sounds like your shoulder is OK?
    Thanks. If you want me to email one of these shots I'll do it, but maybe that's not necessary. My shoulder is not OK. I can use my left arm but things are still messed up in there. I took no bike on this trip. Getting a backpack on and off was problematic. As long as things are painful and popping and clicking and catching I'm not taking any chances by getting back on the bike. But my advice to all of you is: Ride On! (for me)

I've been going down to these parts for over 10 years and it never gets old. Pics don't do the feeling that you get being there justice. The silence, the immensity of the scenery, the time epochs displayed in the rock...

Lay off the Levers
    Inspirational shooting J.
    Almost makes me want to take up photography!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Dishwasher Safe
    Great stuff xc. I usually go this time of year but I've got commitments at the moment; hopefully soon. Maybe you could be my guide...

Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    Thanks for posting. My grandparents named Virginia Park (not on many maps, since it's currently a research area closed to hikers) in the Needles, and were instrumental in having Canyonlands made a national park. I still haven't made it down there, myself.

That's pretty cool!

Are you in the area? I'd be interested in hearing about places you'd suggest that aren't so well known. PM if you'd like to discuss.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Well it's not North Wales, or the Lakes, or the Peaks, or the Dales, or Exmoor, but the views aren't bad I guess

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Well it's not North Wales, or the Lakes, or the Peaks, or the Dales, or Exmoor, but the views aren't bad I guess
    I go to the areas in these pics a lot, but I never go to where you rode. Trade?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    Great stuff xc. I usually go this time of year but I've got commitments at the moment; hopefully soon. Maybe you could be my guide...

That's pretty cool!

Are you in the area? I'd be interested in hearing about places you'd suggest that aren't so well known. PM if you'd like to discuss.
    I was in the visitor center in Needles and asked about an area that I'd read about in an obscure guide book, maybe it was Virginia Park, can't remember. But the rangers said they didn't give out directions to it because it has remained pristine (no cattle, no foot traffic) and they wanted to keep it that way. Period. I thought that was a proper response. There's already so much to see that anybody hiking there could get his fill easily.

I've seen your pics, deadbolt, of that area. I may know some areas you haven't been to, maybe not. It's pretty seasonal. I've been forced back to Moab in the Springtime with whiteout blizzards (the areas are between 6000-7000', Moab is mid 4000s). Summer is pretty dam hot, winter it's snowbound, when I went it was heaven.

mtbr member
    Nice, having never been out to the Moab area until a few weeks ago I was blown away by the vistas and topography...like nothing I had ever seen before...your pics bring it all back!!!
    Last edited by wilks; 10-06-2009 at 07:08 PM.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Ahh but were you missing greenery by the time you came back East?

mtbr member
    Given that all our riding is in the woods where you rarely get sunlight even in August (I wear clear lenses all year round) the bizarre thing for me was the lack of shade - I think on slickrock there was one spot where I crawled under an overhang when it was 95 degrees and found a little shade...I quite liked coming home and seeing all the green grass and the massive old trees the town I live in is known for...also, 2 days after getting back I took the kids to the UWS of Manhattan to show them the apartment I moved into when I came here 12.5 yrs ago and we went for a walk in Central Park which was nice......

side note - see the shape of the ball my son has - although he is American through and through he is a student of the beautiful game and explains to all his friends it's called football in England!

Rolling
    Nice goodies.

FM
    mtbr member
    Rad pics XCGuy. Keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    nice pics. most beautiful part of the country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    the picture after the sign, 22 mi. to the Needles, looks like the formation we hiked just east of "b" campground. we had just done 12 mi. or so in Cheseler Park the day before & 110 mi. of riding Moab, Fruita, & Loma previous to that. we needed a short hike & it fit the bill perfectly.
    we knew we weren't the first to be there but there was only one set of footprints that we saw. were they yours? we were there on the 29th. not likely, i know , but.
    breezy shade

Team Sanchez
    great shots! Keep those coming.
    Let's get down to the Neetty Greetty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I was in the visitor center in Needles and asked about an area that I'd read about in an obscure guide book, maybe it was Virginia Park, can't remember. But the rangers said they didn't give out directions to it because it has remained pristine (no cattle, no foot traffic) and they wanted to keep it that way. Period. I thought that was a proper response. There's already so much to see that anybody hiking there could get his fill easily.
    That's correct. Apparantly Virginia Park is one of very few grassy areas that the ranchers didn't discover or weren't able to access, so there's been very little impact, which makes it valuable as a research area. It's the smaller park just SSE of Chessler Park, and west of Druid Arch. The Canyonlands Rangers do a guided group tour once a year, I believe in September, but it is officially closed otherwise. If you contact them they will e-mail you to let you know when it is scheduled.

mtbr member
    Great shots, xcguy!

They bring back memories of many trips chasing landscapes and light. Indian Creek in particular has a very special place in my heart.

I hope your shoulders heals up properly over the Winter so you can get back on your bikes by Spring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great pictures........is just for climbing or can you ride a bike ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biker231
    Great pictures........is just for climbing or can you ride a bike ?
    Just for hiking and taking pics of others who are climbing. I'm not getting on a bike for the rest of this year. We'll see how my shoulder feels next spring. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's healing up on this forum. Except for about a 7 year mountain biking era my roots are hiking. I can now get out on "hiker only" trails and in Wilderness areas so I'm seeking those out now.

Whenever I'm on a multi-use trail and FS bikes ride by I swear I can feel their suspension moving. I'm not in some hiker stupor where a bike coming at me is some foreign object, it's like I'm in two parallel universes now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great pictures! I really need to go father south of Moab next time I get out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0