mtbr member
    Apr 2004

xcguy gets high, on foot

Continuing my hiking mode I drove up to the top of Berthoud Pass and then hiked up to above 12,000'. The forest scenes were at about 11,700'. If I'd turned upslope and gone up another 200' in elevation there's this line of demarcation: below, trees, above, tundra. It's a short growing season...10 or more feet of snow has to melt before temps can rise before anything can germinate. Then whatever starts to grow had better hurry up because it's gonna snow bigtime starting in a couple of weeks! I bumped into a muzzle loader hunter scouting for deer. He feeds his family and his neighborhood with venison and never buys store bought meat. He had on his hunter orange and I had on my foliage-green jacket and deer brown colored baseball hat I hastily turned the jacket inside out to reveal a color that I hoped other hunters wouldn't confuse with a deer and hiked on.

I see deer constantly on my hikes/rides around Boulder but didn't see nothing this time. As I was returning I saw him again and he held up four fingers and pointed into the forest. Muzzle loaders are like bow hunters in that they go for one good shot. They're a different breed from "rifle hunters" as he calls them. The rifle hunters will be out in force up from Texas in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

~~~~~~~
    oh, i miss that place. another gorgeous colorado fall in the high country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Life above the tree line

In the pics I see from guys riding in the Alps the tree line could be 5000'. In tscheezy's pics it might be 1500'. These were taken at about 12,200'. That's your nature lesson for today, everybody back to work.

mtbr member
    Very cool shots, xcguy!

I went over Berthoud Pass a couple of Winters ago in the middle of a snow storm and it was a very different scene. Great high mountain Fall scenery!

How is the shoulder treating you? Will you make it to Moab?

mtbr member
    Fantastic pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Very cool shots, xcguy!

I went over Berthoud Pass a couple of Winters ago in the middle of a snow storm and it was a very different scene. Great high mountain Fall scenery!

How is the shoulder treating you? Will you make it to Moab?
    I think I dodged a huge bullet on this latest crash. I'm still off the bike but the shoulder feels much better. The PT lady couldn't find too much slackness in there (proper medical terminology?) and her kneading and prodding didn't elicit any little girl screams from me, so I guess that's a good sign.

I went back on the same trail I OTB'd on looking for a big divot where I hit. I had managed to NOT come down on any number of pointed rocks in the area (I think). Again, dodged a huge bullet.

Going over any high pass in Colorado during winter can suck. White out conditions, not knowing who's going to go skidding out of control (you or the guy next to you or the guy coming down sliding into your lane), not knowing where the side of the road/cliff is...fun times. If I go to Utah I'll go to hike, probably to Canyonlands. Would love to help support any THC but it sounds a bit scattered this year. Not having the big draw of DT's trailer full o' demos like last year seems to have had a dampening effect on attendance.
    Last edited by xcguy; 09-18-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Team Blindspot
    This thread is worthless without DW pics
    Astigmatic Visionary

~~~~~~~~
    nice one xcguy. Burpup pass is my old stomping/shredding grounds, spent many days up there and in the cirques between there and WP and many nights in the cabins. Sad to see the old ski area is done. And no THC/Moab for me, I desperately need a surf vacation .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    nice one xcguy. Burpup pass is my old stomping/shredding grounds, spent many days up there and in the cirques between there and WP and many nights in the cabins. Sad to see the old ski area is done. And no THC/Moab for me, I desperately need a surf vacation .
    I did do a drive over to Jones Pass on my way back. I haven't done much exploring around them parts, to tell the truth, except for a cross country ski trip I did with friends starting on the north side of Berthoud on up to some hut. Man, was that an adventure. So many years ago I've forgotten most of the details. It didn't help that my non-athletic girlfriend at the time had never been on skis.

This pic doesn't show in the least what an effort it is to get to the top but does show that instead of a ski area we got your cell towers! Progress! The whole time I was trucking to the top I wondered what it'd be like pedaling to the top. Bliss? Torture? Probably depends on if you were on a Highline or a Flux.

That's the thing about hiking, you basically de facto pedal in both directions.

Members who have read this thread: 0