Thread: XCE mods

jun
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

XCE mods

Folks, I was bored and decided to see if there was a way to increase the travel of the XCE. I tried increasing the length of the rocker, but would lose rigidity and would increase the leverage ratio to 3.33:1 (not good). So, I decided to play with re-designing the rear assembly to get 5". I did this a while ago, but decided to re-visit it. I would actually go with a longer shock to get a better ratio.

I know the Logical option: buy a 5-Spot triangle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jun,
    PUT down the mouse and back away from your computer! Stop and think of what you are doing! My god man, it looks like you grafted an Ells rear on to your faithful XCE. What have you done??? While it may ride well once you bolted it up, there is a good chance that you might get lightheaded or giddy with what you have created and try patenting the idea. Is it really worth taking the chance??

Seriously, I would think that you would run into other issues. First, what is the new wheelbase once you take into account how far back you have moved the rear tire? Second, can you be sure the frame could handle the extra stress of the longer rocker arm? Lastly, would the expense of parts, setup and fabrication get you a better performing bike than a stock 5 spot? I would think buying a front tri + rockers for a Spot would be cheaper than all the work you would be looking at with your drawings.

Didnt mean to poo-poo on your parade or anything, just pointing out a few things. Looks like you put a fair amount of work into them...still think it would be easier and cheaper to call DT and upgrade, thats all. If you are really jonesin you could get a Spot front from DT and call Darren about a set of his new 'rockers'

Cheers
    Chris

banned
    If you get the Spot front tri, you have to get the rockers and a new shock. No way around it.

jun
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    no sweat... this only took about an hour to do (I was a Design Engineer in another lifetime since 1993, so CAD is extremely easy... now I'm a boring CFD analyst)... I did this a while back; about the same time when TE forced DT to put the ICT on his rigs... I was trying to find away around the ICT theory by placing the IC before the front wheel... I stopped when DT came out w/ the TNT...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jun
    no sweat... this only took about an hour to do (I was a Design Engineer in another lifetime since 1993, so CAD is extremely easy... now I'm a boring CFD analyst)... I did this a while back; about the same time when TE forced DT to put the ICT on his rigs... I was trying to find away around the ICT theory by placing the IC before the front wheel... I stopped when DT came out w/ the TNT...
    I think you're quite mixed up on the actual events.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jun
    Folks, I was bored and decided to see if there was a way to increase the travel of the XCE. I tried increasing the length of the rocker, but would lose rigidity and would increase the leverage ratio to 3.33:1 (not good). So, I decided to play with re-designing the rear assembly to get 5". I did this a while ago, but decided to re-visit it. I would actually go with a longer shock to get a better ratio.

I know the Logical option: buy a 5-Spot triangle
    It's not <I>that</I> illogical.

The most common shock used on the XCE had a 1.75" stroke, so the average leverage ratio with that shock would be 2.86:1, which isn't all that terrible. You would have a problem with bottom out on the back of the seat tube, so you would have to address that somehow. To gain the necessary clearance, I suspect the rockers would have to raise the bottom bracket by at least a half inch, maybe more, which in turn would steepen the head angle. Maybe a bit steep for a 501mm ac fork, but it might not be too bad with something like a Pike.

Another interesting mod might be some type of "chip" for the lower shock mount similar to what the 4X bikes use. Something that would raise the bottom bracket just enough to give you clearance to run the XR rockers with the standard 1.75" stroke shock. I would think it would be quite a bit easier to make than a set of rockers, and would increase the travel to around 4.8".

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you really want to increase the rear travel of your XCE just use the stock 1.75" storke Vanilla and get a set of XR rockers. That should get you to about 4.75" of rear travel although you may run into trouble if you are using a really large rear tire. It may rub the seat tube on full compression as it did for Cutthroat.

Members who have read this thread: 0