X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke

Just a bit of Sultan Stoke...my 2011 XL Sultan showed up today! And just built it up...I originally ordered a RAw frame but they ran out in XL, so I picked the Black on Black...and so glad I did, as it looks steathly!

Just looking over the frame- the workmanship, attention to details, and welds look stellar, the Black ano. with laser etching is very tastefully done.

I previously sold my Pivot 429 a few weeks ago, as I wanted a bit slacker angles, and more travel....but didn't want to give up the benefits the 429 had to offer, so the Sultan was a natural transition. In addition, I didn't see the any benefit waiting for the new crop of AM style 29ers coming out, when the Sultan is a proven product and ready to go now.

I've got my whole parts group from the 429 ready to install with a few changes- 44 Ti 140mm, new BB, Headset, and still need to pick up the correct Ft. Der. yet... I'll continue to post the progress!

I gotta say, having just built it....I'm not a fan of the cabe routing and having to use Full Length Housing....Hopefully that will change in the future.

Just a shout out to DT and Jarret at Turner! Thank you!

++++
    Just returned from the maiden voyage, which amounted to sub tech leafy 10 mile loop of fairly tame proportions. having been off a bike for 3 weeks waiting for the Sultan to arrive it was a welcome ride just getting O2 in the lungs again! the Sultan did not disappoint, in fact it was just soo dam smooth I honestly kept stopping to see if the O-ring had even moved on the shock....I can't wait to hit some chunk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-sultan1.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-sultan2.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-sultan3.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-turn1.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-turn2.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-turn3.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-turn4.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-turn5.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-turn6.jpg  

X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-turn7.jpg  

"Be Good or Be Good at it"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sweet bike!

Now go get it dirty!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Sweet bike!

Now go get it dirty!
    Done!!

Just Returned from the Maiden Voyage:

A quick 10 mile loop, nothing very chunky, but lots of singletrack and transitions....I ride I rode my 429 many many times....
    Overall I was surprised how smooth it rode, in fact I had to stop a check to see if the O-ring on the shock was even moved (of course it was)...but it just flowed thru without notice of so much of the trail and isolated any impact or jarring to me...almost without much feedback, which to be honest I had expected and wanted? more feedback...

The Sultan is super quiet, along with that smoothness (perhaps thats part of the smoothness is being quiet). The Geo with the 140mm fork felt good and very stable, yet it tracked precisely, althought a hair slower than the 429 I had. The rear end felt very planted without any noticable bob either seated or standing (propedal was off) and just mowed over stuff without much weight transition or momentum loss. Also climbing steeps it felt very controled, not really much weightlessness of the front (I expected more, due to the 140mm fork, instead it was pretty firm).
    The Sultan feels like a 429 on steriods, but with less bob and about double the travel...can't wait to hit some real chunk

mtbr member

nice

excellent build, have fun shredding on your new steed!

nocturnal oblivion
    I'll bet that's what the Grim Reaper rides: A black Sultan...his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    i'll bet that's what the grim reaper rides: A black sultan...his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with.
    muhahahahahahahahahaha!:d

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but... You might want to check your fork travel with a tape measure and make sure you're getting the full 140mm. I have the same set-up and my stanchions appear to be longer. I remember I had to add air to the fork when it was new to get it to fully extend. If yours is short you should add the air (details in the big Marz thread in the 29 section), if that doesn't work your fork may have the 120mm spacer installed in it. Enjoy the bike, the black looks awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-POST: Anatomy of a KING: Sultan Stoke-marz2.jpg