Worn Romic shock bushings- Mtbr.com
    Negative Rep Points!!!!

Worn Romic shock bushings

It appears that I've developed a fair amount of noticable play in the shock bushings of my 4 month old 5*'s Romic. Tscheesy, didn't I read in a thread of yours, that you had similar wear show up on your shock as well?

Did Casey take care of you? Or, did you go though Romic direct?

TIA.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Jan 2004
    FYI: if you're interested in a nice tool to change bushings, spare stock bushings and some "improved" models, check out: http://www.betd.co.uk/website/betdframeset.htm. They are across the pond as they say but I have had good experience dealing with them (and the tool and bushing work great).

No, that's not phonetic
    My upper eyelet had a little play after 6 weeks. I emailed Jimmy at Romic and he sent me a new DU bushing and reducers for free. They were very responsive. The Fox upper eyelet on my XCE lasted 18 months so I was shocked (bad pun) when my Romic developed play so fast. I'm playing with an Igus bushing to replace the stock DU in the eyelet. This interface is the single weakest point on suspension bikes today, it seems.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    I have a question about bushing wear,

My Romic bushings had little to no wear at all, but when I had the shock serviced, they changed the bushings. That's cool but the ones they sent back had tool marks on them and fit rather loosely in the eyelet. In fact they fall out if I tilt the shock sideways. The others seemed more like they were press fitted.

Are these worn? I did not notice any play when I bolted them on but I'm wondering what I should be looking for?

TIA
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Same thing I mentioned to Crash a while back: step on the rear rim and pull up and push down on the saddle to forcibly extend and recompress the suspension a little. Watch and feel the upper eyelet for any bit of movement. There should be NONE. It will feel like a click for subtle tap if there is movement. Having the reducers fall out is a very bad sign. The upper eyelet sees a considerable amount of rotation so it wears out much faster than the lower one which barely turns at all.

The eyelets are some bronze impregnated weirdness. They come with a dry red paste inside as a friction reducer, but the whole scene in there is pretty pathetic. A PTFE sleeve like the Igus bushing and a hardened alloy reducer would seem to last so much longer because you can clean it out and lube it. You are not supposed to lube the stock ones and are supposed to sit there helplessly and hope the red paste does its job.

BETD and the makers of the Enduro fork seals keep indicating they are going to come out with something better, but I have yet to see anything. The Igus bushing Steve-O sent me holds promise but I won't press it back in until the current one goes to poo.

tscheezy
    Last edited by tscheezy; 01-26-2004 at 09:09 PM.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    ...Having the reducers fall out is a very bad sign. The upper eyelet sees a considerable amount of rotation so it wears out much faster than the lower one which barely turns at all.
    tscheezy
    Thanks. I'll give Jimmy a call during the day. I called them when I got the shock back and noticed the reducers fit. The tech (not Jimmy) said the looseness was no big deal, but I feel a little uncomfortable about it, as it wasn't that way when I sent it in.

Cheers Gears and Beers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    The reason they should not be loose is you want as tight a tolerance as possible without actually binding and increasing friction. If they are loose, they will not distribute load over a large area, and then wear down even faster as a result. Once they get loose, things go downhill fast from there, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Then again, if things don't FEEL loose, you can let the parts wear against each other and it actually is not a performance issue per se.

tscheezy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Same thing I mentioned to Crash a while back
    I performed your test prior to sending my shock back to Romic, for reasons other than the bushings, and got minimal movement. I should be getting it back this week with new bushing installed. It’ll be interesting to see just how tight the tolerances are on the bushings/reducers they’ve replaced. Other than actually “falling out” are there any other signs that I should be looking for?