Baked Alaskan

Winter UGI madness, a new ride joins the Alaska Turner Mafia, dork equation free!

Ok, so its not a Turner -- we'll call it an "associate" of the ATM, but there aren't any stupid equations from engineer wannabe's with no qualifications beyond, "I read a book."

Anyway, thanks to Dirtdad making me a great deal on his barely used Pugsley. It still lacks part of a driveline that I'll be cannibalizing off the Spot tonight. Of course that means I'll be ordering some new Sram bits to do the shifting now and a few other misc. parts that are finding a new home on the purple beast.

Next to Pugs is my Kenda 2.3 so you can get an idea of just how big these tires really are if you haven't already seen them in person. They just make you laugh in amazement, they're so freaking cool. You can see they're quite a bit taller and of course the width completely dwarfs the puny Kenda.

So this will be my primary winter rig and should make for some fun summer adventures. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them, Dirtdad did a really good writeup when he built this up. For the money its a pretty impressive frame, the build quality is really nice, much better than the 1x1 that I was gonna build up for winter riding.

One final note -- just for laughs I checked and the Marge's with the Endomorph's do fit on the Mav DUC, shorten the travel to 4" like the 29ers do and...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AK Chris; 11-28-2005 at 05:15 PM.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Lay off the Levers
    Holy moly! Someone's gonna be making a lot of waffles.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    So's you'z wants to become a made man, yet you'z stray from the family, eh? There are prices to pay when you'z leave the circle without askin da boss, ya know? Independent thinkin' has a way of making peoples grow concrete feet if ya know whadimean.

Way too cool, I'm really wanting one for the summer possibilities as well. Throw on the racks and load up and do some exploring like Pat did. Nice snag, I didn't know DirtDat was sellin' or else I might have competed.....

Hey do me a favor; take a caliper and measure how wide the casing is on the tire. I'm curious if I was to mount one on a regular 26" SnoCat if it would fit in my 29er frame. Most likely not, but I'd imagine the overall height to be about the same as my niner SnoCat setup.

Have fun with it this winter. Maybe by spring I'll see you out on the trails.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Holy moly! Someone's gonna be making a lot of waffles.
    Especially if any bling makes it onto the Pugs.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    So's you'z wants to become a made man, yet you'z stray from the family, eh? There are prices to pay when you'z leave the circle without askin da boss, ya know? Independent thinkin' has a way of making peoples grow concrete feet if ya know whadimean.

Way too cool, I'm really wanting one for the summer possibilities as well. Throw on the racks and load up and do some exploring like Pat did. Nice snag, I didn't know DirtDat was sellin' or else I might have competed.....

Hey do me a favor; take a caliper and measure how wide the casing is on the tire. I'm curious if I was to mount one on a regular 26" SnoCat if it would fit in my 29er frame. Most likely not, but I'd imagine the overall height to be about the same as my niner SnoCat setup.

Have fun with it this winter. Maybe by spring I'll see you out on the trails.

Rando
    Forgive me Godfather, that's why I said associate, I know Pugs can't be a part of the "family"...

I'll check tire width and let you know. It'll probably be a little different since the Marge's are a bit wider than the cats. I have a pair of unbuilt snowcat rims so maybe I can mount one up and check. I don't know how difficult/easy it is to remove the Endomorph yet.

When the knee heals, hit me up and you can take it for a spin.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    I have a pair of unbuilt snowcat rims so maybe I can mount one up and check.

When the knee heals, hit me up and you can take it for a spin.
    Thanks Chris, just wondering if my snowbike could serve double duty somehow along the beaches. And thanks for the offer to try it out, I'll look forward to it. Let me know if there any parts I can help you out with.

Rando

No, that's not phonetic
    Oooohhh!! Gimme gimme! We actually have a little snow down here now that would make sense on a Pugs (not that I'm not riding everyday on the TNT mind you). Cool. That bike is still on my back burner for this year.

So, when you say it will "fit" in a DUC, do you mean it clears by 1mm, or that the fork would actually be very functional with the Morph/Marge combo if a travel limiter was installed? Wanna sort of lean the tire in there where it would ride and snap a pic?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Baked Alaskan

will do but....

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Oooohhh!! Gimme gimme! We actually have a little snow down here now that would make sense on a Pugs (not that I'm not riding everyday on the TNT mind you). Cool. That bike is still on my back burner for this year.

So, when you say it will "fit" in a DUC, do you mean it clears by 1mm, or that the fork would actually be very functional with the Morph/Marge combo if a travel limiter was installed? Wanna sort of lean the tire in there where it would ride and snap a pic?
    .... it'll have to wait till tomorrow because I left my digicam it at work... for a... ahem... project... I was uh... "working" on.

There is some room with the tires in the DUC, more than 1mm at least. It might rub a bit if that balloon of a tire gets rolling around in the turns. But at higher pressures it would *probably* be fine.

It was a total impulse buy, but I couldn't decide between a Pack or a Flux so I went and entirely different route when this popped up in the classifieds. Call it dumb luck I guess. Plus the Spot is also about to get a new finish, fork or two and a small spec overhaul.

As you may have seen, we've had about a foot and a half of snow dropped on us in the last week or so here in Anchortown so the Pugs will be right at home in the fresh powder.

mtbr member
    Wow what a great tool for you guy's to go nordic Seal head bashing

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Wow what a great tool for you guy's to go nordic Seal head bashing

Yes, the floatation will work wonders when I'm out clubbing baby seals. I can just ride right up to them and, WHACK!!!!

Brass Nipples!
    Lucky...Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

I'm waiting for my tubular cement to come from QPB so I can tack down the drive side of my tires. Utah mountains are finally getting some snow this week. 5 psi at 20 degrees, here I come!

By the way, we need to lobby for a snow/sand bike forum. There are enough issues unique to these bikes that our own forum would be really helpful.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

rider
    Jan 2005

The horror!

You realize that having that Pugs, gasp!, makes you a 29er owner...

29erchico

Baked Alaskan

I'm with you there

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    By the way, we need to lobby for a snow/sand bike forum. There are enough issues unique to these bikes that our own forum would be really helpful.

That might be cool, or I was thinking about a Surly forum. I think it would see way more traffic than some of the other brand boards like the Ibex, K2 or the DBR/Raleigh.

There are a lot of snowbike questions and lots of people here with experience, maybe the snow/sand forum would be better.

Baked Alaskan

pugs/duc pics

O-k, I've had a couple ask questions after doing this as a joke. Clearance is tight, but who know's, it just *might* work. If the Endomorph's will mount up on a puny XC rim I can check it out for real.

The photos were taken with the tires about 2" from the crown. There was still a good millimeter or so with the crown resting on the tire.

Rando was asking for a width of the Endomorph's, I measured 92mm mounted on the Marge's -- pretty awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    That might be cool, or I was thinking about a Surly forum. I think it would see way more traffic than some of the other brand boards like the Ibex, K2 or the DBR/Raleigh.

There are a lot of snowbike questions and lots of people here with experience, maybe the snow/sand forum would be better.
    airwreck? dcg? hows about it guys? snowbike, here i come! maybe....
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Those clearance pics are dangerous. Very dangerous. My credit card just became quite frightened...

do it! do it! damn the torpeedos! smoke that cc pal! smoke it but good!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Rando was asking for a width of the Endomorph's, I measured 92mm mounted on the Marge's -- pretty awesome.
    Yowza, thanks Chris. Even if the Endomorphs narrowed a bit on SnoCats, I still don't think they'd fit. Bummer. The research continues......

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Those clearance pics are dangerous. Very dangerous. My credit card just became quite frightened...

I know how you feel. My checking account has taken a bit of a beating in the last couple weeks and I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet -- except for me of course.

mtbr member

Endomorphs with Maverick DUC

A Surly Endomorph on a DX32 rim narrows the tyre by 10mm, which could help.
    And while we're there, the Endomorph/DX32 combination looks marginal in a Surly 1x1 Fork

word. its gonna be a circle k krissmiss in my house this go around. wrigleys gum for everyone! weeeee!
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    airwreck? dcg? hows about it guys? snowbike, here i come! maybe....
    Snowbike forum request has been in discussion amongst the mods. I'll keep you posted.

Surly forum has just been added.

Baked Alaskan

Really

Quote Originally Posted by dwnz
    A Surly Endomorph on a DX32 rim narrows the tyre by 10mm, which could help.
    And while we're there, the Endomorph/DX32 combination looks marginal in a Surly 1x1 Fork
    10mm huh? I think tonight I'll take the Morph off the Marge and mount it on the Mav wheels and see what it does. Damn there's a lot of 'M' words in that sentence. Wouldn't it be a little taller though since its not being spread out as much?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Pugsley is so cool I laugh evertime I see a picture. Great tire size comparison pics. I have a lot of winter riding experience. I haven't tried the Morphs but I did do some riding with some Specialized 3.0 (true 3" wide) tires at low pressure, which worked great on loose packed snow. In Calgary we get a lot of areas on the trails that get iced up from foot traffic and/or melt freeze cycles. The big tires were only marginally better on the ice than a regular tire. Me and the riding buddy have been riding on the same set of Nokian Extreme 296 studded tires for 5 winters now and they absolutely rock on everything except for soft packed snow without a base where they can sink. On packed snow and ice we can climb and descend almost all the singletrack we ride around town in the summer. The only disadvantage is that if you spin out climbing on ice you are desperately looking for studded shoes because you don't have near as much traction on the shoes as you did on the bike. Give us some feedback on the poor man's suspension of those Large Marge's.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Rider
    In Calgary we get a lot of areas on the trails that get iced up from foot traffic and/or melt freeze cycles. The big tires were only marginally better on the ice than a regular tire....

Give us some feedback on the poor man's suspension of those Large Marge's.
    RR, I live in Anchorage and for the most part things usually aren't very icy on the trails, but there's lots of packed snow everywhere. Right now Pugs will be a commuter on some of the paved bike trails around town, which become XC ski - walk - snowbike trails in the winter.

Though we do get some freeze/melt cycles, most of winter -- say November through March is below freezing so its not too bad. Right now most sidewalks are just hardpacked snow, easy riding with non-studs. I'm still debating picking up a pair of studs for the Pugs, its something I'll figure out as I find my preferred commuting route.

As far as the suspension, after all the cash that went into the Pugs, I'd hardly call it a poor man's FS, but I know what you mean. Anyway, it does a pretty nice job of providing some squish and soaking up the bumps. Right now I'm running the tires at about 10psi and its not anywhere near as harsh as any other HT I've ridden. This is probably the only HT my body will ever be able to withstand for any extended period of time.

I've only put a couple hours on it so in another month or so I'll have more ride info. I'm going to keep a rolling photo diary of my winter riding too so you all will get to share in the Pugs fun. Though those pics will probably wind up being posted on the newly created Surly forum.

No, that's not phonetic
    I just got a pair of the Nokian Freddies Revenz. They are 2.3s and Nokian finally lightened them up this year. One was 926g and the other was 949g. Not too shabby at all for having 336 studs per tire. The studs are the pointy style with aluminum sleeves, not the squared-off head with steel sleeves on the 296s. They also seem to have stiffer durometer rubber than the Hakka 300s and more like the 296s. I now have six 296s, two W240s, two Hakka 300s, two Freddies, and two W160s (in addition to eight non-studded Nokian Core/Duals). Did I make the board of directors yet?

Baked Alaskan
    I may pick up some of those Freddies Revenz for the Pugs if it gets icy. Be sure to file a ride report when you get them broken in.

No, that's not phonetic
    I don't need to ride them to file a report. I can tell you right now that they will ride like all studded Nokians on ice: they hook up and help keep your teeth inside your mouth where they belong instead of all over the trail where they don't.

Seriously though, they are wider than the Extremes, and definitely more so than the diminutive 300s, so the float should be good, and the tread is a blend of the 300s and extremes, so traction should also be good. They have the sharp pins like the 300s but aren't mounted on mushy rubber so that is a plus in my book. Less squirm.

I'm going to go out on them for some easy pavement miles tonight and start the long break-in process. I normally would commute on new studs for a month or two before taking them offroad, but I don't think they will fit on my commuter well.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 12-01-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0