The wife's x-small XCE- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The wife's x-small XCE

Well, here goes, my first picture attempt. This is my wifes XS XCE in the middle of its inception yesterday at my LBS, Desert Cycles. Big shout out to my homey Bonkey (pictured) for building up the wifes Turner despite the fact that hes a solid Yeti man, and putting up with my incessant Whens it going to be done? phone calls.

The bike built up nicely with the exception of a front derailleur problem Im trying to work out with Kpicha, a fellow XS XCE rider. The fit is damn near perfect and will only require a few tweaks to get it completely dialed in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bodhisattva
    Sweet. Looks like those rockers come up really high to accomodate the small frame, not that it matters.

Probably going to get my wife a Jamis. Lot of bike for the money, size is right, and should serve as an excellent reintroduction into the sport after a number of years on the sideline.

Still chuggin' along
    Awww, brings back fond memories of when my bike was brand new

And, yes, the "long" rockers on the XS XCE will bang into the QR if I don't have it on backwards. I think I'm going to switch back to a collar instead of the Salsa.

Anyway, sweet build and I'm sure she's going to love it!
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Looks like those rockers come up really high to accomodate the small frame...
    Ya, much to my wife's dismay I've nicknamed her bike "The Grasshopper." The tolerances/clearance between the sides of the top tube and the rockers and the bottom of the tt and the Romic is amazingly tight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Probably going to get my wife a Jamis. Lot of bike for the money...
    Jamis is definitely a great value, and I seriously considered buying one seeing as how Desert Cycles carries them, but I was able to build up the XCE so reasonably that it was very easy to justify the additional expense of Turner's quality.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Well, here goes, my first picture attempt. This is my wifes XS XCE in the middle of its inception yesterday at my LBS, Desert Cycles. Big shout out to my homey Bonkey (pictured) for building up the wifes Turner despite the fact that hes a solid Yeti man, and putting up with my incessant Whens it going to be done? phone calls.

The bike built up nicely with the exception of a front derailleur problem Im trying to work out with Kpicha, a fellow XS XCE rider. The fit is damn near perfect and will only require a few tweaks to get it completely dialed in.
    That's sweet man! Grasshopper is the right name for it .

Good thing this isn't the old board...last year folks were catching isht for posting high-zoot rides they bought for their SO's .

Hey Kpicha! Welcome back from "Amazonia"... You ladies still lining up to wack on "Thumper"? ..."Uuuuuhhh, which one of youze girz wants to go out wit me? Wait, only da cute onze now..."
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Still chuggin' along
    LOL! Yeah, I wonder how long it'll take for that thread to die down! He really opened up a can o' worms over there Oh well, I'm married, so I don't count

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    Anyway, sweet build and I'm sure she's going to love it!
    Thanks. After how supportive and patient she's been over the past eight years as I've bought several high-zoot rides she deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Good thing this isn't the old board...last year folks were catching isht for posting high-zoot rides they bought for their SO's .
    Really? The more I hear about the flame wars of the "old board" the more I'm glad I only found this boards a month or so before the new layout. I wonder what has changed the tone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I wonder what has changed the tone?
    ....segregation...

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ....segregation...
    Hey-yeah! What he said!!!
    Too bad a couple of trolls bought themselves a ticket to b!tch...

Lay off the Levers
    Jamis is definitely a great value, and I seriously considered buying one seeing as how Desert Cycles carries them, but I was able to build up the XCE so reasonably that it was very easy to justify the additional expense of Turner's quality.
    I'm a diehard Jamis fan. My other bike is a steel Dakota HT. Had it since '95, broke it in '02 and got a replacement no questions asked. These guys really know how to spec a deal. My LBS has a sweet looking Komodo frame on the wall for ~$200...if it were my size I'd seriously be considering it. I don't need it. I like my steel fame...bikeitis...I can't help myself.

mtbr member

My Wifes Pink XS XCE

I built up a 15" XCE for my wife a few weeks back. Here's a photo of the the bike.

Cheers,

Doug

Honda Turner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink
    I built up a 15" XCE for my wife a few weeks back. Here's a photo of the the bike.

Cheers,

Doug
    Doug,

You are 'da man! Husband of the year! Your wife's bike made its Turner forum debute in this thread. Back then I showed that to my wife and she flipped! Ironically she had asked for a pink Turner only a couple of days earlier, but I was so anxious to get her bike built and start riding that I left it the original silver. However, I promised her that I'd send it in at the end of this season and get it painted pink.

Congradulations on your wife's health and ability to ride. I hope all is going well.

Cheers,
    Ron

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

This is my Grandsons xs XCE with 24" wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajr
    This is my Grandsons xs XCE with 24" wheels.
    Nice rig! I've got three kids all under the age of seven, and my oldest just started riding with me and participated in his first race this spring. I figured with Turner's durability, rebuildable pivots, and proven suspension design all of them with throw a leg over this bike at one time or another. Just think if it made it to MY grandchildren! Now that would be a true testament to Turner quality.

Still chuggin' along
    Doug,

You are 'da man! Husband of the year! Your wife's bike made its Turner forum debute in this thread. Back then I showed that to my wife and she flipped! Ironically she had asked for a pink Turner only a couple of days earlier, but I was so anxious to get her bike built and start riding that I left it the original silver. However, I promised her that I'd send it in at the end of this season and get it painted pink.

Congradulations on your wife's health and ability to ride. I hope all is going well.

Cheers,
    Ron
    Really?! That's so awesome! I bet she can't wait to get it back all nice and pink. I keep thinking of changing the color but the metallic silver is so classic and everything goes with it so I can throw in a bit of color here there w/o it looking gaudy.

3 kids under 7, eh? I have 4 under 7 also. Do any of them ride with you at all? My 6 and 5 yr. olds do on occasion and they're dying to get their own jerseys and shorts but I can't see spending so much money on something that they'll only wear 3 or 4 x. I'm surprised to see that the kid's jerseys are just as expensive as the adult ones.

mtbr member
    Really?! That's so awesome! I bet she can't wait to get it back all nice and pink. I keep thinking of changing the color but the metallic silver is so classic and everything goes with it so I can throw in a bit of color here there w/o it looking gaudy.
    She was excited to get it repainted in pink but like you she's growing fond of the silver. I've got an order in for two tone pink "Turner" stickers with my local sign maker that we'll stick on and see what she thinks. I'll post some pictures when I get them.

3 kids under 7, eh? I have 4 under 7 also. Do any of them ride with you at all? My 6 and 5 yr. olds do on occasion and they're dying to get their own jerseys and shorts but I can't see spending so much money on something that they'll only wear 3 or 4 x. I'm surprised to see that the kid's jerseys are just as expensive as the adult ones.
    Ya, all boys. The oldest rides with me on some of the easier less techical trails and is just soaking it all up. My second is still on training wheels and manages to keep up on the paved jogging trails, and the youngest just sits in a trailer and enjoys the ride. Luckily, I haven't had to worry about requests for cycling specific clothing yet. We do however put them in cheap coolmax t-shirts that we found on sale at REI that breath and wick well. I also deck out my oldest in all of his Rollerblade pads when we hit the dirt trails. He would call it quits if he happened to see blood as a result of one of his crashes .

mtbr member
    Hey Ron,

Thanks! Im not sure about being husband of the year but I will accept Happiest Husband of the year. I haven't check out this forum in quite some time. Ill have to look in more often to check out all the great posts. I do want to thank everyone for the cool replies. Lori is riding few days a week now and really loving here XCE!

Cheers,

Doug

Team Honda Turner