breathing helium

Where to order Sultan?

If I were to order a Sultan from a dealer and also need a full build kit of my design, which Turner dealer would give me the best price and best service? I know that you guys have Turners and you must have bought them somewhere, right? So, go ahead and spill the proverbial beans, or donuts since we're all Homers... Ha! (Sorry, bad joke...I need sleep.)

Thanks for the help!

The proposed build is below:

Frame Turner Sultan (Large)
    Fork Fox F29 RLC 100 or White Brothers Fluid 135 (still undecided)
    Headset Chris King
    Stem Thomson X4 (100mm x 0)
    Bar Easton MonkeyLite
    Grips Oury Lock-On
    Brakes Formula Oro Bianco (180mm F, 160mm R)
    Misc Formula MixMaster
    Cranks XTR
    BB XTR
    Pedals XTR
    Front Der XTR
    Rear Der XO
    Shifters XO Triggers
    Wheels I-9 (all black) laced to Arch or Flow rims (Depending on fork)
    Skewers DT RWS Thrubolts (9mm F, 10mm R)
    Tires Nevegal
    Seatpost Thomson Elite (27.2mm x 410mm)
    Saddle WTB Pure V Race or Specialized Phenom Gel Ti

mtbr member
    Either Chad or Larry - I ordered mine through Chad along with pair of I9 wheels. Got the wheels and still waiting for the frame - should be here any day now.

mtbr member

Good job! Got to agree..........

...........as far as dealings Larry is super and not heard anything but good about Chad, so see who prices best.
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    Either Chad or Larry - I ordered mine through Chad along with pair of I9 wheels. Got the wheels and still waiting for the frame - should be here any day now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

err, 27.5+
    If you have to ask you haven't been listening very well in class

Chad had my back on my Sultan kit. He bent over backwards to make sure everything came together as planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

breathing helium
    Thanks guys. I've ordered stuff from Larry in the past and he's been great. I'll shoot both of these guys an email and see what they can do. I've heard nothing but superb things about Chad. Again, thanks for the help.

I guess I have not been paying attention in class. I'm always looking out the window daydreaming of the Sultan. Maybe it's ADD? Ha! I'll try to be more attentive from now on.

No, that's not phonetic
    Broken record here, but send both the same list and let them both work up a quote for you along with a somewhat firm estimate on shipping time. That latter bit can turn out to be important.

There are lots of other cool retailers that support the Homer lifestyle like Dave at Redstone Cyclery in Lyons, etc.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    try Dave at redstone cyclery in Lyons Colorado too. i have bought from him and chad and larry..all good all within a few bucks of each other price wise.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Another vote for Dave at Redstone Cyclery. Hooked me up with a killer Flux for a killer price backed with the best customer service.

breathing helium
    Alright, I'll send Dave the list too. Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

breathing helium
    I'm thinking of starting with the Fox F29 100mm and then going to the WB 135 later on if I see the need. I have read that the Sultan really begs for a longer travel fork like the WB 135. Does the bike suffer with a 100mm fork?

Edit: Sorry, I found this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=312176

mtbr member
    Personally I wouldn't spend money twice unnecessarily. The Fox and WB both run about the same price. Just get the WB135 and have what the bike calls for to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    I'm thinking of starting with the Fox F29 100mm and then going to the WB 135 later on if I see the need. I have read that the Sultan really begs for a longer travel fork like the WB 135. Does the bike suffer with a 100mm fork?

Edit: Sorry, I found this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=312176
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I've been talking with Chad about an RFX (haven't purchased it yet) and he's been nothing but accommodating for me.

And his price is very nice.

Captain Underpants
    I used Larry for my Sultan/WB135 purchase and he was great, though a bit slow with e-mail. Bettter to call him, perhaps.

Though I probably sent him and Jarret like 200 e-mails. If I were him, I would have ignored a few as well.

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Personally I wouldn't spend money twice unnecessarily. The Fox and WB both run about the same price. Just get the WB135 and have what the bike calls for to begin with.
    I've thought about this a little more. With the Fox, I'd go with the Arch rim and the rig would be more xc oriented. With the WB, I'd go with the Flow rim and the rig would be more all mountain or whatever you want to call it. I'm aiming for more travel rather than less at this point, but I have yet to decide.

I have read that the Sultan rides very nicely with the Fox though. The threads that I can find using the search function seem to deal with the comparison of the Reba and WB 135. There's not much out there on the comparison between the Fox and the WB 135 since the Fox is so new. Some of the stuff I read says that the handling of the two is not light years apart since the A-C is not truly 35mm different, more like +/- 25mm. Also, the greater rake on the WB compensates for some of the slackened head angle as well. Since both the WB and the Fox have rakes of 44mm (I think), the difference in rake should not be as pronounced.

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I used Larry for my Sultan/WB135 purchase and he was great, though a bit slow with e-mail. Bettter to call him, perhaps.

Though I probably sent him and Jarret like 200 e-mails. If I were him, I would have ignored a few as well.
    I emailed him this afternoon and had a reply within minutes. I was surprised because in the past when he has gone incommunicado, I've had to call him as well. I must have hit just at the right time? BTW, what he sent me looks VERY good!

mtbr member
    Another option, split the difference with a WB Fluid 110mm w/TA.

Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    I've thought about this a little more. With the Fox, I'd go with the Arch rim and the rig would be more xc oriented. With the WB, I'd go with the Flow rim and the rig would be more all mountain or whatever you want to call it. I'm aiming for more travel rather than less at this point, but I have yet to decide.

I have read that the Sultan rides very nicely with the Fox though. The threads that I can find using the search function seem to deal with the comparison of the Reba and WB 135. There's not much out there on the comparison between the Fox and the WB 135 since the Fox is so new. Some of the stuff I read says that the handling of the two is not light years apart since the A-C is not truly 35mm different, more like +/- 25mm. Also, the greater rake on the WB compensates for some of the slackened head angle as well. Since both the WB and the Fox have rakes of 44mm (I think), the difference in rake should not be as pronounced.

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    Another option, split the difference with a WB Fluid 110mm w/TA.
    Yeah, I just saw our post about the mods to our El Rey. That's a great looking bike for sure. Yes, I'll look into the WB 110 as well. It would retain the A-C according to the original geometry numbers but would be stiffer than a qr fork. I'm only 147 lbs, so stiffness is really not an issue as far as my weight goes, but honestly I've never owned a TA fork so it might be nice to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Members who have read this thread: 0