Where is the 160mm Travel 650B?- Mtbr.com
    Kiwi that Flew

Where is the 160mm Travel 650B?

With so many promising 160mm travel 650B bike being released this coming year by several manufacturers, will the Turner Burner be missing the mark at only 140mm travel??

mtbr member
    I'd rather have 140mm travel (than 160) on a 650b bike, myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'd rather have a 100mm version. Maybe we will get lucky and all get what we want.
    Just Ride!

Kiwi that Flew
    I should say for the record that I have never ridden a 29er, 650B or a bike with more than 140mm of travel. But am keen to have 160mm on my next bike. The 650B thing has added a bit more to think about.

--- deanopatoni ---

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    I would rather have a 120mm but would take a 140mm over a 160mm. Maybe we will all get lucky

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Where is the 160mm travel 559 bike??????? I've been waiting for four years now!!!!!

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    Yep, definitely in the Trail-Bike-Kategory! 140 mm Quality-Travel in the Rear with the slightly bigger Wheels should do more than enough for you on any Trail.

GAME ON!
    i would rather have 153mm travel personally. but with 27" wheels to compensate.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would like to see 160 mm 650b - I think it would be an ideal agressive all mountain bike. I am not convinced a 140mm travel 650b will have the "wow" factor or really be much better than a 150 mm all mountain bike.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Bring back the TALAS rear shock!
    120/140/160

mtbr member

140 is perfect

as a rider of a sultan and spot, i see the 140 tweener being perfect. with a dialed in rear shock, i always find myself with a smidge of travel left without any comprise in rough xc comfort/shreddability. so based on this and dt experince, i would speculate that the 140 tweener bike will be perfect for those whom climb what they decend. which is the head of the nail as ar as bike/consumer//user ability/desire is concerned.

Rolling
    I have to say my 96 mm travel 26" burner is my favorite bike right now!

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ View Post
    I would like to see 160 mm 650b - I think it would be an ideal agressive all mountain bike. I am not convinced a 140mm travel 650b will have the "wow" factor or really be much better than a 150 mm all mountain bike.
    What about an aggressive (more lower and slacker) Geometry instead of having more Travel for an aggressive Allmountain-Bike?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Not sure what's coming but Fox is only making a 160mm right now (except for the TALAS which goes down to 120mm).
    The whole point of 650b is that you can get more travel than a 29er. If you want less travel, get a 29er (i.e. Sultan or 429)

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    The whole point of 650b is that you can get more travel than a 29er. )
    Not remotely true.
    There are many reasons for 650 development, and That is just a minor one.
    The 'whole point', for me, is flickability, wheelbase length manageability, front dérailleur compatibility, standover height, tire weight for real treads, and wanting a trail machine that doesn't ride like a r#@d bike.
    For many, many people, 29-ers are kinda lame.

(donning flame-proof suit,)

mnt bike laws of physics
    Yea, I meant the whole point for me.
    My 29er is already all of those things you mentioned.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Aha. Thanks.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I was one of the first to ride a 650b mountain bike in the winter of 2007/2008 right when Pacenti came out with the Neo-Moto. I won the expert class here in NM in 2008 with a Neo-moto up front and 150mm of travel in back (26er). At that point, I had never ridden a 29er. Since 650b took so long to catch on, I went with 29ers and tweeked it to make it what I like., but I do miss having gobs of travel out back that I basically could float over anything without missing a beat and with little loss of energy on my part. It is possible to make long travel bikes that are just as light (at least very close) and that can climb just as fast as any short travel and yet will descend much faster and you can ride longer. All you need is a damper control and shock makers are finally catching on to this simple fact.
    I ask, why make a short travel bike anymore when the longer travel can do everything better? I out climbed most people on my 150mm travel race bike...even on the pavement with the compression damper on full close, but especially when the going got rough and the damper was on full open.
    I say, make the 650b with 150mm like the 5 Spot and race it, ride it, have some damn fun with it.

Kiwi that Flew
    Good comments YogiP
    Also as DW link bikes are designed to be good climbers, the old argument that bikes with lots of travel are bad climbers just does apply any longer.

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Not remotely true.
    There are many reasons for 26er development, and That is just a minor one.
    The 'whole point', for me, is flickability, wheelbase length manageability, front dérailleur compatibility, standover height, tire weight for real treads, and wanting a trail machine that doesn't ride like a r#@d bike.
    For many, many people, 650B TANKS are kinda lame.
    Fixed it for you IN RED!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Fixed it for you IN RED!
    Hah, I see what you did there!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Once you jump to 160 you have to do all kinds of hardening up of the frame to keep it from breaking. Guys end up using it for free riding with big forks. I"m very interested in an a trail 650B. Looks great! A carbon 120mm 650B sounds very interesting...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    Good comments YogiP
    Also as DW link bikes are designed to be good climbers, the old argument that bikes with lots of travel are bad climbers just does apply any longer.

--- deanopatoni ---
    This is a great point . . . I have had a few long travel DW link bikes and they all climb incredibly well. The pedal efficiency is much better with the DW design. I can mash on the pedals with limited rear suspension movement.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Once you jump to 160 you have to do all kinds of hardening up of the frame to keep it from breaking. Guys end up using it for free riding with big forks. I"m very interested in an a trail 650B. Looks great! A carbon 120mm 650B sounds very interesting...
    Your right and I was already thinking about this when I read your post. 150mm is about the most you can go before you need a shock that is over 8 inches long.
    But, it is really the geometry that determines what the bike will be suited for. This whole "New School" geometry crap is for the kids who drive to the top of the climbs and it seems like the designers are buying into the illusion that everyone wants super slack geometry. Well, there are a lot of us who like to climb too. It is not all about descending even though I have no problem with a middle of the road (between old school XC and new school super slack) geometry. The stuff put out between 2005-2010 is the best geo IMO.
    I was sent a 2012 Sultan frame to replace my 2009 that cracked. I'm going to sell it. I would have never bought a bike that was so slack and short.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Slack bikes climb well too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Your right and I was already thinking about this when I read your post. 150mm is about the most you can go before you need a shock that is over 8 inches long.
    But, it is really the geometry that determines what the bike will be suited for. This whole "New School" geometry crap is for the kids who drive to the top of the climbs and it seems like the designers are buying into the illusion that everyone wants super slack geometry. Well, there are a lot of us who like to climb too. It is not all about descending even though I have no problem with a middle of the road (between old school XC and new school super slack) geometry. The stuff put out between 2005-2010 is the best geo IMO.
    I was sent a 2012 Sultan frame to replace my 2009 that cracked. I'm going to sell it. I would have never bought a bike that was so slack and short.
    If your '12 frame is a large, shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Give me 140 or 150max please on the Burner. No need for 160 (probably 150 either) here in New England IMO which is just littered with slow rocky and root infested very technical climbs. Give me a bike that can just claw it's way up this crap like a trials bike and I'll be far more happy than being able to bomb down something because I have more travel (I have 2 12" travel dirt bikes for that). With 140mm I'm perfectly happy with my own personal comfort level going down and off stuff. It is obvious different parts of the country and world dictate different wants and needs though.

You want a 160mm DW link 650B get a Mojo HD (rear shock has to be shimmed down to about 152mm though) or the Pivot Firebird which I read takes 650B wheel straight up.

Other 650B choices are the Ventana Zeus which is 140/160 switchable and the new Norco 650B Range 160 which looks like a killer bike
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

Members who have read this thread: 0