When a spring is not a spring- Mtbr.com

Dec 2003

When a spring is not a spring

I've been considering buying a titanium spring for my Romic (5 Spot). I was going to buy it from Romic, but as most of you know, they're back-ordered for some time.

Then 123 Bikes is getting some in....only they didn't like something about them and now have to wait again.

That got me thinking. Who is making the springs? Do we know the quality of the springs? How about the weight difference....we don't even know that...We just have an idea. Is there a warranty on the spring?

It seems to me, that for $200 or more, someone selling the springs should mention the spring mfg,, weight and warranty. If a spring is not properly made, the rate could be wrong or progressive when it shouldn't be. The spring might not last long....and it could be heavier than you think.

The original spring that I got from Romic says Romic on it....and I figured that Romic would stand behind it. What about these "non-Romic" branded springs?

I'm just curious seeing as so many here want to get the Ti spring but nobody has asked for specifics on the springs. I would like to know exactly what the weight difference will be and some assurance of quality and warranty.

Any comments? How about you, DGC?

Flyin Canine
    I got some similar treatment when I emailed Progressive about the ti spring on the 5th element. quote "it weighs half as much as the steel spring". I would have like to know more for the money they are charging.

Yay! Bikes !

good luck

I've been researching ti springs since December 10th, directly from the manufacturer, and as of this morning I am still without even a price quote let alone the spring itself.

It isn't any kind of secret who makes the springs, but since I've not had any luck yet I'm not using their name here and giving them another chance to show ANY interest in selling me their products before sharing my story about the almost complete lack of service I've received. (that really felt like a bad run-on sentence)

In short, I've NEVER had such a hard time trying to buy something from a manufacturer.

Baked Alaskan

RCS makes the 123 ti springs

At least the ones that 123 is supposed to be selling. I contacted them about making me one and they said 123 will be their exclusive distributor. And then I got an email from someone at 123 about the springs with the weights available.

http://www.coilspring.com/bicycle.html

I'm going to check into some other spring manufacturers and see what they can do. Maybe we can do a group order and get some good pricing, it shouldn't be this difficult. And it shouldn't cost $200 for someone to turn a foot or so of titanium rod.

1946:2006:2066

New question here. are you sure that's what RCS said?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    I contacted them (RCS) about making me one and they said 123 will be their exclusive distributor.
    go-ride also has them.

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_renton.html

michael

Baked Alaskan

that's what the email said

It said for Romic springs 123 was their distributor for them. I'm not saying at go-ride won't have them, that just what RCS told me. I deleted it so I can't offer you anymore than that, do what you want with it.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdy
    go-ride also has them.

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_renton.html

michael
    That's how I once read that page too, but you're wrong. The phrase "on order" should mean that they actually have springs ordered and coming. It does not. They've been "on order" for the better part of a year. They still don't stock them, to the best of my knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Yay! Bikes !

For everyone that has posted in this thread ...

Q: what spring rate (in pounds) do you need?