WTF hap'n?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    pic # 1: 12:15pm
    pic # 2: 12:30pm

nuff said, dont ya think?
    Holy Sh!t!! CC!!

What next??

You weren't trying to chopper it were you??
    Astigmatic Visionary

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    it just makes me sick. this frame was to ship on monday. dt will send a new one next week. and no, this was not a JRA nor a warrenty. it was a dumbass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    ouch! how the hell did that happen?

Bite Me.
    There are much better ways to make it fit in the box CC. WTF is up with that????
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

3 "fiddy" for short
    HOLY CRAP!!! What the frick happened?!? Shite timing I must say.

Hang in there, man.

Bite Me.
    I'm guessing a combination of a garage and roof rack. CC we're gonna need to start a widows and orphans fund for you or something......I'm serious
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

rr
    I don't do PC
    Wow, don't know what to say except maybe just try to laugh...and get drunk!

Sooo, how did it happen???

i took tina to work to get some shots under optimal lighting before i pulled it apart and said goodbye. on the way home i decided that sinse i needed to take the mother in law to her doctors appt, just had back surgery ya see, to park the car in the garage to keep it cool before hand. any more questions?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ....dude! What did you have in your water bottle for Pete's sake?

not so super...
    CC, if it weren't for bad luck you would have none!

bbeen there and done that...twice.. mine only caused car and rack damae and they were only ells frames.
    Nothing to see here.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Shimata! Sometimes all you can say is "yararetta" and move on with life. Truly bummed to see that CC. Hope you can work it all out ok.

mtbr member
    Sorry to see that. I'm so paranoid about doing that I risk having my bike stolen at fast food joints rather than use the drive-thru.

You need a turn in your luck...and soon.

Team Sanchez
    Hit up the home owners insurance. They'll take care of it.

BANG!
    "wtf????"
    rear view shows the flux fallin off the car. i stop. neighbor says...
    "i saw that commin but i thought you knew what you were doin.is it bad?"
    i look quickly at the bent bars, scuffed levers and chipped dropouts on the fork.
    "naaaa. its not too bad but thanx."
    i park the car and go get the bike. its then that i see the frame.
    "(1 word. kinda rymes with schmuck repeated over and over and over and over and........)"

made a call to our home/auto ins guy and it looks like im covered besides the deductable which could almost buy a new flux. but with all the rest of the damage to bike parts, roof rack and the car itself i might be in bigger trouble than i think. time will tell. dt's also up to speed and a new frame will be shipped next week so i can cover the new owner. bonus for him. a brand new flux at a fraction of the cost. and thats what this has become all about. makin sure this cat comes out happy despite my bone head mistake.

funny how the very 1st words outta the ins guys and dt's mouths were, "dont worry. we hear this all the time."
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sweet baby Jesus! Flux geometry not slack enough for ya, CC? Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed, and this looks like one of them.

It's only a matter of time before I do this, too. I'm unbelievably paranoid, but I caught myself not thinking about it the other day pulling into the Taco Bell drive thru with the bikes on the rack. No trouble on that particular occasion, but I realized that it's a matter of when, not if.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    ouch ouch ouch
    owww
    sorry to see that bike like that
    just a touch of the gas pedal and.... $$
    hope it all works out!
    Kona Coiler

i guess the same could be said for hitch racks. yer bound to be hit or back into somethin one day. hell, i even had the burner hit while in a case in the back of my buddys car. ya just never know and nuthins 100%.
    No, I'm NOT back!

just got off the phone with the ins co. the car is covered no problems. theres no damage to the house so thats good. the big question is if theyre gonna require a rider for the bike due to its expensive nature, if it will be covered and if so, for what limit? seems theres limits set for these kinda things. ill know more next week when the adjuster calls.

so far we have $120 of damage to the rack as far as i can tell and almost $3000 worth of bike damage. frame, fork, levers, h/bar and seat are all totaled. im about to take more pics then start disassembly so anything else should rear its ugly head soon enough. wish me luck.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    CC you are being tested to the max at the moment, hope things pick up for you.
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    YEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW I thought I was having a bad day, but mine was piddley compared to yours; sorry dude, I hope you're just crying wolf but somehow I think this is for real; I bet you about got sick to your stomach.
    cheer up CC, it only gets better.
    turtle

Obsessed
    I know this is sad but I can't help but laugh.

I'm Tina's new owner. I think I feel worse for Cactuscorn then for myself. I'm sure his heart must have sank when he hit the house.

Maybe he's just pulling one of those, "If I can't have Tina, nobody will!"

Last edited by santiago; 09-08-2006 at 06:31 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Dood, I told you to sell the RFX. It would have survived that whack , no problem, being a FR bike and all. You gotta learn to listen.

Seriously though, major bad juju going down. My condolences.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

cheese, how is it that yer always right? i honestly cant think of a time yer info wasnt totally spot on. this bein a very diff situation than normal, im blown away that ya got me yet again. all kiddin aside man, thanx. thanx for the thoughts and all the help youve offered myself and countless others. lets tip a few back together assumin i still make it out.

santiago. thats some funny crap! thanx for the giggle. thanx for the patience. thanx for bein fair.

turtle. this is about as real as it gets. a train wreck of sorts. the cars keep derailin but the engine rolls on. i know my rep for this kinda thing lacks some strength due to the april fools thing but remember i set that straight the same day. im afraid i cant do that this week.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Geeezrerus FRIGGIN CRIPES!!!!

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy... seriously.
    Man, cc I can't even begin to say how bad I feel for ya bro.

Dewd get a few large of whatever you down and just chill for a day.
    Oh and take it easy in UT Mmmkay?

And don't EVER do a April Fools joke like that again.... Carma gets a double-supercharge on the internet.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 09-08-2006 at 07:18 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

The tide will again rise...

or something like that CC.
    Maybe its my Oregonian hippie side, but I really believe in highs & lows...things will get better--just YOUR low is reeeeal low,but that can only mean the upside will be all that much greater my friend.
    I had the Stumpy on my buds hitch rack last year when we backed out of the driveway...at an angle to the street, and well-I gots me a fresh wheelbuild out of that one.

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

buddy, ive been sippin on cold beer since i got home from the dr. one after another. just enough to retain a level buzz. helps dull the pain of what this brother i work with described as "a slide down a razor blade into a pool of alchohol." very cool cat who said this before i left the studio today while talkin about how it sucked to sell it.

the april fools jokes are out. at least the big ones. i still cant believe you guys bit so hard on that one. it was 4/1 afterall. yeah, ive read aboput that karma thing on the net so it must be true.

anyway, thanx zilla. this too shall pass.
    No, I'm NOT back!

aka...appBLING72
    CC, that made my stomach hurt. I can't imagine that feeling. Hope it all gets resolved timely and as least costly as possible for ya. Man, that really stinks.

mtbr member
    Ouch, CC!

I feel for you and the anguish that must have caused you.

Santiago,

Glad to see you taking it so well. Karma has a way of coming full circle and you are buying some reserve with that attitude. I am sure you will end up with more bike then you bargained for and only cost a bit more patience. Kudos!

KB

Bodhisattva
    Crikey !!!!
    Who the heck did you piss off in your last life.

Sorry to see/hear that. I did that too several years back but only sustained minor damage to the fork and car rack.
    Glad to hear DT is doing right by you and you're doing right by the buyer.

Drink many beers. And then have a few more.

Xtremely Moderate
    Damn! That hurts.
    Don't beat yourself too badly though.....everybody does a dumbass now and then.

I once laid my Banshee down on top the car going through an ATM drive through.
    T66 was there.

Fortunately, the Banshee was so solid that it basically ate the awning off the ATM and only bent the lowers on my Super T.

Sorry for your loss.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Well Biked
    CC that blows! Have a beer on me. Make that a six.
    It is a honest mistake and could happen to anyone. Don't be too hard on yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    CC.....I think you should sell the Flux.

Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    lol! Best comment by far.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    just remember to get one of them big bright AS IS stickers!

as for the pictures...saddest thing i've ever seen! i would cry...and then drink...A LOT!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

fried stuff with cheese
    Not that it will make you feel better, but I've been there and worse off I've done it multiple times.
    First time did $1k damage to my cars roof, $600 to the bike, and $400 to the rack.
    2nd time, got lucky and just broke the rack.
    3rd time was in a parking garage. Forgot it was up there. Broke both forks (my bike and wife's), rack was toast, dented the roof of the car again, and then messed up my back enough to keep me off the bike for a month while trying to get the bikes/rack unwedged from between the concrete ceiling and the roof of the car. I ended up in a downtown parking lot with a tangled mess of bike, rack, and car all the while laying on the ground unable to get up with a nice crowd of on lookers for good measure.

Keep your chin up. And no matter how dumb you think you are take comfort in the fact that there are others out there who are even dummer......at least as long as I eat and breath.

Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrak
    Santiago,

Glad to see you taking it so well. Karma has a way of coming full circle and you are buying some reserve with that attitude. I am sure you will end up with more bike then you bargained for and only cost a bit more patience. Kudos!
    Hi Fasttrak,

Missed your comment before. The way I see this, there are worse things than a broken bike. Sure it sucks, but there's no point getting upset. I know cactuscorn didn't mean it. What's funny is that I was just commenting to him in our email exchange about karma and how I'm a firm believer in it.

Looking forward to joining the Homer nation. Look, cactuscorn may have lost a bike but the community is gaining another convert (that would be me). Besides, I have no doubt that he'll get his stable back in no time.

My cup runneth over
    Really sorry to see that CC. Chin up...

Roy
    mtbr member
    Hang in there CC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Sorry to see that

Hey, CC. I, too, believe in karma. You're due for a lot of goodness.

I know that it's not very comforting, but at least the bike is replaceable. You're healthy and so is your family... and that's what counts.

Keep your chin up..... while draining those frosty ones.

No, that's not phonetic
    There you go CC. Life could be worse- you could be Locotiki. (That was a most excellent story btw, loco.)
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

"Its All Good"
    Thoughts are with ya CC, dam am speechless...................... The page will turn, you have your health, family etc.......................F A C K .......... CC is getting tested to the max, life is an odd thing, it will change, you haev some serious positive vibes from this board... Suck it up, them good vibes..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

~~~~~~~~
    sh!t! CC!

Quote Originally Posted by e[I
    io]Fortunately, the Banshee was so solid that it basically ate the awning off the ATM and only bent the lowers on my Super T.
    That's why I have (need) the Highline .

Garage repair cost could be greater though.
    [/I]

mbabaracus
    I think I'll trade in my roof racks for a hitch rack now...

bm

Nothing here
    ...but then you'll get rear ended, DOH!

mtbr member
    Awww Man!

I come in to see how the Turner folks are doing and this happens!! That stinks!

Sounds like things could be working out (sort of), but sorry it happened all the same.

I just put the roof racks on our car wondering what kind of reminder I could do that wouldn't get lost in the everyday, mundane-type routine of going in the garage. Now I think I might want to take them off... Yikes!

Nice couch pictures,

Take care,

crazyhouse

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    That was a low blow. Sorry to see that. The "after" shot just hurts.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Fix it?

You might be able to keep most of the parts and fix the bike for less than the cost to replace the whole thing. Depending on how the collision occurred, the fork might be ok (i'd check for a bent steer tube as the most likely to be damaged). I'll bet the shifters and brake levers are ok, even if scuffed up (unless they cracked or something). The front wheel should be fine, maybe a bit out of true. The tire is definitely good. The front triangle is obviously toast. The seat post and saddle are probably fine. The rear triangle and shock look ok in the picture, but you would have to take a real close look at them. And everything else in the rear should be good - derailers, cranks, cassette, wheel/tire, etc.

So in the best case you would only need a front triangle. Call Turner and they might be able to help you. The frame new is $1800. The shock is $300 of that? So $1500 left over, split it 50/50 between the front triangle and the rear triangle? Say $750 for a new front?

Worst case, throw in some shifters ($100), brake levers ($100), stem and handle bar ($100), head set ($50), and a fork ($500) and you're at $1600. Is it worth it? Perhaps, but just check that rear triangle very carefully. Or, you could throw on a bunch of used parts and make it into a beater bike for even less.

update: we heard from the ins co today. theyre fightin us on the coverage at bigmoneyinsco hq. they say we needed a rider on the bikes for them to be covered. local ins guy says, thats his fault for not makin that happen as he was well aware of the bike fleet and its value when restructurin the homeowners policy over a year ago. bein the stand up guy he is, his asked hq to push this through and has assumed all the blame for the misscommunication. thats all i know for now. another bad night but on the bright side, the job prospects are pourin in this week. 1 offer and 2 follow up interviews so far. all f/t in various industries. with a little luck ill make a desision in a week.

hobbers, the issue is several fold. the frame no longer belongs to me. it was sold before the accident. the new owner must be properly taken care of. the bike was on a roof rack with a fork mount, the front wheel in the trunk. the bars and controlls took a direct hit against a brick garage wall then it was ripped from the rack and sliced a path off the back onto concrete. the result was not good. on a bike with parts of this caliber and the type of abuse its all bound to see both locally and out on the road, id much rather it be replaced for safetys sake and value. thats why we pay our premiums every month. also bein a (former and future) pro wrench and long, long time turner owner, im on top of the damage. thanx for yer input though man. im not tryin to shoot ya down.

ps: a flux front tri is about $960. i checked out my options with dt within the 1st hour.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    Geez, I know how it feels to take something perfectly good and gack it all up! That's the worst, because you know you could have dodged the bullet! Makes my little PC'ing incedent pale in comparison - my sincerest sympathies!

be it know, the insurance biz is the biggest money maker in the world, far outstripping big-oil or any other mega-biz in profits....so, don't let their "oooh pooor us insurance co" stuff rattle you. It'll work out, if you keep on them, and don't puss out like 95% of the populace normally do....

I'm sure you've had lengthy conversations w/ the buyer on options for remediating the situation, but it sucks that you have to delve into such territory, when all you really wanted to do is get some cool pics....

They say bad luck comes in threes, hopefully this is #3......

IPA's are great for smoothing things over, BTW.....

thanx buddy. whats the story over there?
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    my frame should arrive in Murietta on thursday or friday for an autopsy.....

Can Tree Member
    C-corn...I'm not an attorney (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night).

I would check out some basic commercial law (UCC stuff) about rights and remedies in this case. It seems to me that you had not yet delivered the bike, so it did not yet belong to the new owner. It was under a contract for sale.

I am reaching waaaay back here, but I recall that there are some provisions for what happens if a good is whacked during the transaction before it is complete. You might be able to legally (and ethically) rescind the sale, return the funds to the buyer (if they were already in your posession), and call it a day.

You are going to take a loss either way, so I'd consider the options on the best way to mitigate that before heading down the path of rebuilding the bike and completing the sale. How much are you going to net if you sell the whole bike (including $1000 for a new front triangle), vs. parting out the bits that survived?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

im off to ship some of the sold parts from the flux and deposit a check. ill tell ya more when i get back.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    well at least the welds held up

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    dude this is the first time i saw this baby. that suxks dude!! hey i also just replied to who gets what for the demo, prob a little late but if you could throw in a good word to see to it that i get prob a large, whatever i'm not picky at this point anything with shox on the back, you dig. otherwise i'm stuck ridin my singletrack tame trail bike, which i just rebuilt the fork today and is feeling amazing, but still only puts me at about 70 mil travel, haha i know. eat me..

boys and squirles, meet sammy. sammy is fast. sammy is very fast. sammy will do things on a hardtail that will make you 2nd guess yer own skills. i cant wait to see him on a proper squishy bike. sammy will not be ridin in my group.
    No, I'm NOT back!

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Cactus....sorry if reviving this thread brings back pangs of pain, but I only read it recently as I don't hang out on the Turner board. Shared the pic on another forum I frequent and one reply just made me laugh so had to share....

"That's just wrong - I would much rather look at pics of people whose limbs have been ripped off"

If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

id have to agree mint,
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0