What's To Be Gained- Mtbr.com
    And He was Not

What's To Be Gained

I've got a 2002 XCE that I bought new. I rode it with a Float RL's on both ends for a year.I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I ran across a deal on a 1.75 inch stroke Vanilla RC rear shock, installed it with a Vanilla fork and this bike became the best Trail bike I've ever ridden. It just so balanced feeling set up this way. I see the Flux is out now and it has me wondering if there is any thing to be gained. The XCE with air on both ends had that Cross Country Cha Cha feelin', where as the coils... well you know, they are just killer smooth. Is it time to re-install the XR rockers and Buy a RP3. Or should I look into getting a Flux.

No, that's not phonetic
    Look at a Flux if you feel cramped on the XCE and want a longer top tube. The Flux is a touch racier and lighter, but otherwise very similar in handling to the XCE imo. I own an XCE (coil/coil) and rode a Flux at IBike (air/air). The Flux felt VERY long to me (layback post + huge tt + my normal length of stem).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Look at a Flux if you feel cramped on the XCE and want a longer top tube. The Flux is a touch racier and lighter, but otherwise very similar in handling to the XCE imo. I own an XCE (coil/coil) and rode a Flux at IBike (air/air). The Flux felt VERY long to me (layback post + huge tt + my normal length of stem).
    So besides the Geometry aspects, How did the Air feel? I have a couple of Talas forks and they say the RP3 feels just like a coil, but what's the bottom line on this, AS GOOD AS COIL technology. Does the RP3 feel as plush on that bike?

No, that's not phonetic
    I am an unabashed fan of the RP3. I have one on my 5-Spot and think it gives the DHX a run for the money, and gives the Romic, Swinger Air, and Vanilla an absolute damping wedgie. That said, I was not quite as blown away by the RP3s on shorter travel bikes (those bikes using a 1.5" stroke shocks for ~4" of travel). All the longer travel bikes sporting RP3s were simply superb. I don't know how it compares to a standard Float. The RP3 on the Flux was quite nice, but it did not open the performance gap over older shocks in the way it does on the 5-Spot.

The RP3 is more progressive feeling than a conventional coil despite it's large air cannister. That makes it nice and squishy at sag and ramps up pleasantly for bottoming resistance. Compare this to linear coils like the Vanilla and Romic which need a bit more stiffness at sag to generate enough force deeper in travcel to prevent bottoming. The DHX uses compression damping to mimic the RP3's progressive air spring effects. The oddest aspect of the RP3 is how it increases sag when put in the "-" propedal mode.

The 05 Talas was the best Fox I tried. The 05 Floats were quite unimpressive for me.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 12-27-2004 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's very interesting that you say that.

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I was not quite a blown away by the RP3s on shorter travel bikes (those bikes using a 1.5" stroke shocks for ~4" of travel). All the longer travel bikes sporting RP3s were simply superb. I don't know how it compares to a standard Float. The RP3 on the Flux was quite nice, but it did not open the performance gap over older shocks in the way it does on the 5-Spot.
    I just bought an RP3 for my XCE, and while I think it's a nice shock it didn't feel as nice as the 2" stroke RP3 on my friends 5-spot. It feels somewhat better than the 2004 float from my wife's burner but not night and day better. I was wondering if the RP3 simply works better in longer i-to-i long travel applications.

Dave

No, that's not phonetic
    Yeah, isn't that weird? I have mentioned this phenomenon on the board before. It is almost like the RP3 needs a bigger venue (stroke) to strut its stuff...

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    I just bought an RP3 for my XCE, and while I think it's a nice shock it didn't feel as nice as the 2" stroke RP3 on my friends 5-spot. It feels somewhat better than the 2004 float from my wife's burner but not night and day better. I was wondering if the RP3 simply works better in longer i-to-i long travel applications.

Dave
    Thanks for your input Dave and Tscheesy,

I was hoping someone could give the skinny on the RP3 on a XCE frame. I talked to Casey at Turner about a year ago, and he made the comment that 1.5 inch stroke shocks saw little benefit from the Propedal plateform because of there small stroke.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Did your friend's 5-Spot come with the RP3 or is it an OEM purchase? The RP3's that come with the Spot are valved lighter than the OEM version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Aftermarket.

My friend called Turner though and asked them about the special valving for the RP3 that he had read about here. They told him that nothing special was done to the RP3 for the 5-spot.

I've heard here several times that the RP3 has been specially valved; I'm curious where you heard that from?

Thanks,
    Dave

No, that's not phonetic
    If anything special were to be done to the RP3, I would suggest speeding the rebound up a lot. Most riders using the shock on leverage ratios below 3:1 will find themselves running out of adjustment at the fast end. In fact, on bikes around 2.5:1 and lower, lighter riders may find the rebound too slow period.

I also have an aftermarket shock and cannot see what changes to the compression dampening would better suit the Spot. The - mode is very plush, and the + mode is firm enough that I really don't care for it much.

Lay off the Levers
    ... nothing special was done to the RP3 for the 5-spot...
    Perhaps it has been an assumption since the Romics were custom tuned for various vendor's bikes. Especially the 5 Spot.

Since it appears that the RP3 is factory stock in both OEM and AM forms, this begs the question was anything done to the DHX? I would guess that if the RP3 is unchanged, the DHX with it's highly adjustable fine-tune-ability, would be unchanged as well. This is only an assumption on my part though.

Edit: I've done some searches in shocks forum and found these two threads:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...tom#post408385
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=RP3+Custom

Again they are more suggestion that there might be vendor specific tuned RP3s but nothing concrete. I do remember someone saying they asked fox if they would tune an aftermarket RP3 to match the OEM one on a 5 Spot and they said "No." But that dosen't mean such a beast actually exists, just that the Tech would not try to modify an AM shock's tuning.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 12-28-2004 at 10:17 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.